1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha 1400 Discussion and Did I make the right decision?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Scotty Boy, Dec 12, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've just bought the Yamaha RDX1400 I think it's called. It was that or the Denon 3803, Did I make the right decision? I got it for £720 too, with a free £20 phone to phone lead.

I'm getting these new cables for xmas off the folks, £20 per metre, with Banana Plugs on the end. Got enough cables for the front 2 Speakers and the centre.

With my old amp, some Yamaha £200 job. It had a little knob on it to turn the base up and down.

But this one doesn't, i've made it so the base comes through the main speakers (I haven't got a subwoofer you see) And it sounds lacking.

I also refuse to believe that my old amp can give me more base than my new one, as this is somewhat £600 for expensive. So why the hell can't I get that Ooomph from the base, like I did with my older yamaha?

For my Speakers, I have moniter audio B4s for the fronts, B1s for the rears, and The moniter audio centre speaker. Hopefully getting another pair of B1s or B2s for THX.

Who else has got this Amp? I've only had it a day. What do you think of it? Any good features to tell me about?

What lead should I use to connect it to my Panasonic S75 DVD player? I've got a Digital Optical at the minute. Hoping to get this £50 co-axial lead next week. That should help to improve the sound.

Might try and hook up the componant with the Yamaha and DVD player when i get my projector.

Anybody got THX set up? Worth it?

Cheers, hope to get a discussion going on this Yamaha Amp. :)

2. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    And isn't just the nicest colour amp you've ever seen? :D

Looks the complete business!

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,331
    I like Yamaha amps a great deal but sadly I don't get them for free so I don't have one anymore :(

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Re lack of Bass - have you run the auto setup? you should have fronts set to large & LFE to front. During the auto setup set the EQ to front might help as well.

Lack of bass may be more a perception than reality - your old system may have had too much oomph and you might now be hearing how things should be (that's just idle speculation by the way).

If you really want bass though get a sub - it's the best way IMHO to solve that problem

Changing to a coax cable will probably have no real effect on the sound - borrow before you buy.

I think the colour is disappointing!

5. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey thanks for the reply!

I was told the co-axial will make a difference. How becomes it won't? I'm only using a cheapish Digital Optical at the moment. (£14)

I'm really keen on the colour, doesn't really go with the TV. But it just says to me. "I own this room" Looks nice, the shape of the front and all.

I've run the auto setup, but, one question, at the endm it said something like polarity. Or osme word similar to this, I then pressed down i think then set.

Was this because not all of my speakers were not all in the Low Frequency nodes, and some were in the high?

Cheers

Scott

6. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    At the end of auto setup you get any error messages. I suggest running setup again but pay attention to the equalization option - the default is flat but it might be worth trying Front or Low instead (see p25 of the manual). Might be worth making sure of the speaker settings (Front Large, Sub None, LFE Main).

The improvement from optical to quality coax may be there, just don't expect miracles

7. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I fixed the base problem. I had the wires going into the High Frequency terminals on the speakers. Instead of Low, and also the bridges had fallen out. So i replaced them, and the one I lost, i replaced with some wire, sounds lush now! And to think at first i was dissapointed!

Should my rear speakers be Large or Small? The auto set up put them as large, but they make a funny fuzzing noise, not very loud... but...

Shoudl I set them to small?