Yamaha 1080 and Apple TV issues.

JT141979

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi I have a Yamaha tax 1080 with multiple hdmi inputs (sky Apple TV PS4 etc).

HDMI out 1 sent to TV
HDMI out 2 sent to epson projector.

All worked fine until today.

I’ve set zone 2 (hdmi out3) to send hdmi over cat6 to another room via a triax point to point adapter. This works absolutely fine and whatever I send works well.

when however zone 2 is turned on then zone 1 (main tv and projector) develop an annoying problem:

I can watch anydevice That’s plugged into the receiver on the tv (hdmi1) and projector (hdmi2) simultaneously. I can watch on the tv alone and can even watch on the projector alone for all inputs except the Apple TV. But the Apple TV will not play on the projector alone when zone 2 is powered on.

Also a bit strange is that when I’m watching the Apple TV on the projector and then turn zone 2 on it doesn’t stop Apple TV playing on the projector unless I switch the hdmi output to the tv and then try to go back to the projector.

it is as though the zone 2 is sending a signal to the Apple TV which makes it not output pictures with these settings.

can anyone please help

Is the source set to the same source for both the second HDMI zone and the PJ output? The TV in the second room,the mainain room TV and your PJ probably have different capabilities and you may be causing an EDID conflict? Turn the HDMI output not in use off in order to avoid the associated device sending EDID data back into the HDMI chain.

The Apple TV will only output video that is compliant with the EDID associated with the least capable device in the HDMI chain. Even is in atandby, HDMI devices still output their EDID data. Turn the HDMI output of the devices not in use off on the AV receiver or turn the power of the unused devices off at the mains electricity supply. This prevents the device outputting its EDID data.

Hi I have a Yamaha tax 1080 with multiple hdmi inputs (sky Apple TV PS4 etc).

HDMI out 1 sent to TV
HDMI out 2 sent to epson projector.

All worked fine until today.

I’ve set zone 2 (hdmi out3) to send hdmi over cat6 to another room via a triax point to point adapter. This works absolutely fine and whatever I send works well.

when however zone 2 is turned on then zone 1 (main tv and projector) develop an annoying problem:

I can watch anydevice That’s plugged into the receiver on the tv (hdmi1) and projector (hdmi2) simultaneously. I can watch on the tv alone and can even watch on the projector alone for all inputs except the Apple TV. But the Apple TV will not play on the projector alone when zone 2 is powered on.

Also a bit strange is that when I’m watching the Apple TV on the projector and then turn zone 2 on it doesn’t stop Apple TV playing on the projector unless I switch the hdmi output to the tv and then try to go back to the projector.

it is as though the zone 2 is sending a signal to the Apple TV which makes it not output pictures with these settings.

can anyone please help
Is the source set to the same source for both the second HDMI zone and the PJ output? The TV in the second room,the mainain room TV and your PJ probably have different capabilities and you may be causing an EDID conflict? Turn the HDMI output not in use off in order to avoid the associated device sending EDID data back into the HDMI chain.

The Apple TV will only output video that is compliant with the EDID associated with the least capable device in the HDMI chain. Even is in atandby, HDMI devices still output their EDID data. Turn the HDMI output of the devices not in use off on the AV receiver or turn the power of the unused devices off at the mains electricity supply. This prevents the device outputting its EDID data.
Dan thanks,

no actually when all using same source it is fine.

If source for zone 2 and zone 1 set to Apple TV then it works on all simultaneously if I want it to. If source in zone 2 set to anything else eg sky then no projector output of Apple TV in zone 1 unless it is already playing when I turn zone 2 on.

quite annoying because of my wife wants to watch a film on Apple TV and I pop next door to watch sport then she can’t use the projector.

Try setting the HDMI output setting to just the output connecte to the PJ to see what happens? THis can be done by cycling through the HDMI output options using the HDMI ouput button on the remote.(top right, below the standby button). It coulf be the EDID onboard your TV that is causing the issue? Your TV and the PJ in the main room will always be set to the same source so only the EDIDs associated with those two devices should be effecting what your wife is getting. THe second HDMI zone wouldn't effect the main room's output unless you had the second zone set to the same source as the main room.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom