Promoted Yamaha’s Flagship AVENTAGE AV Receivers have been re-born under the concept of True Sound

Gene actually mentions the fact, as a result of his on-going review of the A6A, he is in direct contact with Yamaha with a view to resolving things that he's found. Please refer to 1:15
Things moved forward since that time. He said to members that Yamaha replied to him, confirmed his measuments and that problems with distorsion on some channels require hardware change, which might come with new production line in H2 2022. So, waiting for publication. He said he was finilising listening tests and publication will go ahead.

which is all well and good but as far as im concerned my a6a sounds fine with my reference KEF's
That's fine, even perfect if your unit serves your needs well. I hope you accept that AVR was not designed specifically for your use case. It has wider audience with different configurations and its versatility is being tested by various users.

My AVR is good for me, but it might not be for others.

which is all well and good but as far as im concerned my a6a sounds fine with my reference KEF's
Nobody should ever challenge you on your gear or how you have it set up if you're happy with it chap. It's your money, you paid for it, you enjoy it.

I respect Gene from Audioholics though and if he's the mouthpiece on behalf of the consumer that is privileged to a captive audience with Yamaha and able to to point out things that aren't quite right to Yamaha directly, more power to him.

They're more likely to give the likes of you and I short shrift.

Nobody should ever challenge you on your gear
Anyone can challenge any gear. There are no perfect machines.
The challenge is to be willing to step out of self-oriented perspective when users report testing results and their concerns related to machines that we keep dear in our hearts.

Finally a review , not great though, subjective i know but im pleased i went with the NAD now.

Thank god for that as the images all look like they used the plastic fronts. Good to know as I am looking at the a6 or a8
Slightly off topic, but did you buy the WXA-50 and how was its build quality?

Slightly off topic, but did you buy the WXA-50 and how was its build quality?
I did. And it’s a very solid unit And heavy and well built. I have it standing up with the feet fitted and gets warm not hot and there is lots of functions.

I did. And it’s a very solid unit And heavy and well built. I have it standing up with the feet fitted and gets warm not hot and there is lots of functions.
Thanks, that'll do me..looking forward to getting back to a simple stereo system.

Thanks, that'll do me..looking forward to getting back to a simple stereo system.
Had it a few months and seems great. I have mine paired with Alexa so I can use my voice to Control it. and the iPad all hooked up to it and also an app to control it. Could not ask for anymore from such a small amp. And very compact

Had it a few months and seems great. I have mine paired with Alexa so I can use my voice to Control it. and the iPad all hooked up to it and also an app to control it. Could not ask for anymore from such a small amp. And very compact
Cheers mate, the Yamahas I've owned in the past have been rock solid and very honest with the source material, separation bass control and grip etc....of course you can party with the dsp modes which I believe Yamaha brought to the masses.
Thanks

How have peoples Yamahas been for reliability? I used to really like them and always believed that they were well made…until I bought them. I had a Yamaha keyboard which hissed and crackled after a few months and my Yamaha sound bar has already gone back once for a volume control fault. Now the Bluetooth doesn’t work properly. Not been impressed so far which is a shame as I do like the look of the new AVRs.

How have peoples Yamahas been for reliability? I used to really like them and always believed that they were well made…until I bought them. I had a Yamaha keyboard which hissed and crackled after a few months and my Yamaha sound bar has already gone back once for a volume control fault. Now the Bluetooth doesn’t work properly. Not been impressed so far which is a shame as I do like the look of the new AVRs.

The only issue I ever had with Yamaha equipment was a mini system I bought in the Nineties. It has this amazing bass boost on it but the damn thing kept on throwing an issue with rustling sounds. I replaced it with another unit and the same thing happened. They gave me another Yamaha mini system and it was perfect though without the bass boost. Since then I've never had a Yamaha product miss a beat. Nearing 15 years with my RX-V661 the thing runs cool as a cucumber.
Now it's time to upgrade.. might get the RX-A4A, how does music sound on it?

Video review probably better for most folks:

Gene will be doing listening tests soon. But he also said "There are some pretty significant things that need to be addressed and Yamaha is already planning changes in the next gen models as a result." .

My take on having watched the video, is that most of what his equipment can measure is probably inaudible to all but the best of hearing, which he comments several times in the video. Coupled with the point that some of his critical observations could be fixed via a firmware update as this kit has some fancy new chip in it, so I guess does any of it matter if the sound is already good??

from my own listening the receiver sounds great, so fixes or not won’t concern me

cheers Jamie

My take on having watched the video, is that most of what his equipment can measure is probably inaudible to all but the best of hearing, which he comments several times in the video. Coupled with the point that some of his critical observations could be fixed via a firmware update as this kit has some fancy new chip in it, so I guess does any of it matter if the sound is already good??

from my own listening the receiver sounds great, so fixes or not won’t concern me

cheers Jamie

Sure it won`t be dramatic audible issue with movies as you tend to concentrate more of the story and what happens on screen anyway, some bugs can be fixed by firmware updates. But people also expect they get high quality state of art product as you do pay more than competitors. Yamaha had quite long time to get things right with these new units so it`s bit suprising and disappointing to see the engineers not optimizing everything as they do measure these things when they design them. For a regular Joe i don`t see this being any issue assuming the hdmi 2.1 update works flawlessly when it arrives and the few bugs will be fixed soon. For a 2ch music listening i believe these units could be ahead of competitors, it´s something many has noticed with aventage Yamahas. And of course the build quality and reliability weights too. Let`s hope @Steve Withers will get A8A for a review soon, intresting to hear how Steve feels about how Yamaha stands up to Arcam/Anthems which he has heard lately...

Last edited:
Sure it won`t be dramatic audible issue with movies as you tend to concentrate more of the story and what happens on screen anyway, some bugs can be fixed by firmware updates. But people also expect they get high quality state of art product as you do pay more than competitors. Yamaha had quite long time to get things right with these new units so it`s bit suprising and disappointing to see the engineers not optimizing everything as they do measure these things when they design them. For a regular Joe i don`t see this being any issue assuming the hdmi 2.1 update works flawlessly when it arrives and the few bugs will be fixed soon. For a 2ch music listening i believe these units could be ahead of competitors, it´s something many has noticed with aventage Yamahas. And of course the build quality and reliability weights too. Let`s hope @Steve Withers will get A8A for a review soon, intresting to hear how Steve feels about how Yamaha stands up to Arcam/Anthems which he has heard lately...

Hi Gasp,

I agree with everything you said above apart from your point about Yamaha's Adventage 2 CH music performance. As I found my old AVR550 and AVR30 to easily outperform my A3070 with 2 CH music. And I am of mind that this is the consensus.

I will add though, now that I've got my speakers in their optimal position, away from side walls and behind my AT screen, I've never heard my A3070 sound this good, and I haven't even EQ'd my speakers. So, I'd be thoroughly interested to see what the likes of Arcam or Anthem sound like with my setup now.

I'm also intrigued to read what Withers has to say about the A8A and am interested about the new receivers due this year - is Pioneer bringing one to market?

fallinlight

Yamaha’s Flagship AVENTAGE AV Receivers have been re-born under the concept of True Sound

View attachment 1548053

What is True Sound?

True sound is to remain faithful to the original performance, to the artist’s voice, to the instrument being played. To deliver sound as the artist intended, as pure and as un-changed as we can possibly achieve. Our new Aventage range comes closer to setting the sound free from speakers, to cut through all the clever tech and equipment, to simply leave you feeling like the music is unfolding and being performed right in front of you.

Stop listening to your kit and start listening to the music.

View attachment 1548054

Evolved inside and out

The new design represents our commitment to sound, and to visually convey the evolution of AVENTAGE. The overall design is clean yet powerful, and a continuation of our Hi-Fi story. The centre dial is symbolic of the core value of an amplifier and represents our confidence in sound quality, while the black mirror finish has been inspired by our legacy of musical instruments. It’s these 3 concepts that make this a truly unique Yamaha audio design.

View attachment 1548055

But there’s much more beyond the aesthetic design. We have reviewed and refined the fundamental performance, including the internal circuit design and mechanical structures. With new audio components, High Slew Rate amplifiers, custom block capacitors, and a new Qualcomm System-on-chip, we have completely re-born the Aventage line under the concept of True Sound.

A major design focus was to improve outright performance and sound quality as a piece of audio equipment – AVENTAGE stands for “AV Entertainment for the new age”, and over the last 10 years we’ve added many new functions, such as the latest surround sound and video formats. But this time around we wanted to create a more significate step forward, with raw performance that will not become obsolete over time, and that would help cement the core values of AVENTAGE.

Tonal Balance

To explain True Sound and how it relates to AVANTAGE (Link: AV Receivers - Yamaha - UK and Ireland), we have divided the idea into 3 main concepts – the first is Tonal Balance. This refers to the complete sound reproduction of voice and musical instruments. We have maintained the desired tonal balance by using our noise reduction solutions, Low-Impedance design & audio parts. Let’s start at the beginning – power. A power transformer is the most important component in the whole design. If unnecessary noise appears here, everything else we install will suffer – we’ll lose the small details that make up the bigger more impressive audio experience. An amplifier PCB power supply circuitry consist of 2 parts – electrical current and electrical voltage. In previous designs we’ve used a transformer with a primary winding, and a secondary winding that utilised a single power supply to run both current and voltage power amplifier stages.

View attachment 1548056

We now use separate secondary windings with independent power supplies to feed current and voltage. This allows us to achieve reduced interference and noise.

Another hugely important part of any amplifier is the pre-amp. If problems arise here they will simply get amplified as noise through your speakers. In order to realise the ideal signal path, we have completely renewed the Pre-amp PCB layout for the first time since the RX-A3040, 7 years ago. Avoiding negative interaction between analog and digital circuits is key. In previous designs we used a single layer PCB; By upgrading to a 4 layer,

View attachment 1548057

our engineers have given themselves much more freedom to orientate and position critical components, as ground and power supply can be accessed anywhere on the board.

A DAC is also very important in shaping the final tonal balance, the new range uses ESS Sabre DAC’s. The RX-A4A uses an ES9007S for all channels, the RX-A6A uses the ES9026PRO for main channels and an ES9007S for presence channels, whilst the RX-A8A is equipped with dual ES9026PRO’s, the same DAC’s we use within the CX-A5200 flagship AV Processor.
View attachment 1548058
Next up is custom block capacitors – which work hand in hand with the on-board power amps to drive your speakers. Larger capacitors increase the amps ability to control what the speakers are doing, and directly improves low range expression, delivering a richer and more solid bass response.
View attachment 1548059
Newly adopted film capacitors from a company called WIMA, have also helped deliver the final tonal balance. Used across the power amp stages, injecting strong energy in mid to low frequencies.

View attachment 1548060

Let’s discuss noise reduction – it would be a mistake to expect all of the hard work and improvements we’ve implemented to perform at their best in a less than ideal environment. Which is precisely the reason for our Symmetrical Structure,

View attachment 1548061

by utilizing all of the available space inside the case, we are able to position left and right power amplifiers as far apart as possible. This removes cross talk and improves stereo separation between left and right power amplifiers.

Dynamics

The second concept is Dynamics – meaning a moment of sonic expression with a clear contrast between silence and energy. In order to express “silence” and to create tension within a movie, its common place that the smallest of sounds are used, and it’s these tiny signal transmissions that are the hardest to reproduce. An amp’s ability to start and stop quickly is also critical. Low impedance plays an important role in delivering dynamics. However, the biggest hurdle to overcome is reducing vibrations generated by the housing. To help explain we will be discussing our quick signal response, and a new mechanical structure.

High Slew Rate Amplifiers have been adopted across all models, including our RX-V series. However, this type of amplifier configuration has been fully utilised with AVENTAGE because of their naturally high-performance design. Slew rate is how quickly an amplifier can respond to a rapid change of input level.

View attachment 1548062

With our new range, the accuracy of the audio signal response has more than doubled compared to that of previous models and now matches our flagship MX-A5200 11ch power amp.

In order to maximise dynamics, we have also refined our mechanical structure. We have already designed a transformer separation solution, H-frame structure and an A.R.T Wedge as mechanical technologies to suppress vibrations in previous models. But by fully utilising various vibration analysis methods, we have improved in all of these areas.

The transformer provides electricity to the whole design. Unfortunately, all transformers emit minute vibrations, which can affect neighbouring parts and components. In previous designs a single piece of metal holds both the transformer and heatsinks off and up from the base plate, which acts as a form of suspension.

View attachment 1548063

Our new design that applies to the RX-A4A & RX-A6A reduces harmful vibrations from reaching the power amplifiers by using an additional isolation plate under the transformer, alongside 2 supports for the back of the heatsink and power amplifier modules. The RX-A8A takes this a step further, and features a complete separation of the transformer and power amplifiers. Which features power amplifier supports for the front as well as back.
View attachment 1548064
We’ve also improved our H-Frame which improves the rigidity of the chassis. Our previous chassis design with supporting H-frame, featured on the RX-A1080 and above, can be seen on the left, the large holes being for the front flap and LED screen. Now whilst this is still a very strong design, our engineers wanted to take this a step further. Our new chassis, on the right, provides even greater rigidity by featuring a greater metal mass across the front panel, the front panel is now fastened not only by a screw, but additional supporting fins and the H-frame is now secured with a 4-point fixing.
View attachment 1548065
Our analysis shows half the amount of deformation vs. the previous RX-A 80 series.

The A.R.T wedge has undergone some changes as well. Even though we have such a strong chassis already, four feet are not enough to stably support the vibrating transformer, which weighs more than 5kg, even on the RX-A4A. Until now, the 5th foot has been located in the centre (left), and it worked well. However, given all of the structural changes we have made elsewhere, the relationship or position of the 5th foot has been reviewed. The position of the transformer is in fact closer to the front (right), which has changed the location of where the most harmful vibrations originate from.
View attachment 1548066
Vibration analysis has revealed the ideal 5th foot position, delivering 1/10th the vibration of the RX-A 80 series.

Sound Image

The third concept is sound image – which are those delicate spatial expressions, subtle nuances, mood and atmosphere that help build an audible stage we hear things from. To explain how we have approached this, we’ll be discussing our digital sound field processing and Surround: AI technology, alongside physical parts and components we also use our unique technologies to shape the final sound image. Our biggest goal is to set the sound free from speakers. To erase their presence, and let the walls of your room melt away. Our original DSP technologies such as YPAO and Surround: AI are indispensable in achieving this. DSP is often used to mean digital signal processing; Yamaha’s DSP actually stands for Digital Sound-Field Processing. The idea of creating the perfect surround sound field without changing the intention of the original recording.

View attachment 1548067

The effectiveness of YPAO sound field processing can be seen here - on the left is an example of the correct original sound field design, this depicts the ideal listening position and speaker placement. The diagram in the centre has less than ideal speaker positioning, but is typical for many of us listening at home. The biggest problem with this is that it pushes the surround sound information towards the front, leaving this system with an inability to correctly steer sounds behind the listener. The diagram on the right shows how YPAO corrects a large amount of what was wrong from this set up. The listener can now experience correct steering of effects behind them whilst enjoying a wider and more open sound stage across the front.

When making these corrections, we are very particular about never lowering the sampling frequency to avoid degrading the content quality. Which is why we use 64-bit, high precision processing. The accuracy of calculation can mean the difference between low frequency noise or not.
View attachment 1548068
Looking at this diagram highlights noise peaking at 250Hz and 500Hz when using 32 bit processing. 64 bit processing can ensure higher accuracy to avoid unwanted noise that remains outside of the DAC’s 124dB audible dynamic range.

Another unique feature of our sound field correction is our 3D measurement of speaker height and angle. As many already know we have been pursuing 3D sound field processing with our presence speakers before the creation of Dolby Atmos or DTS X. This commitment and passion for 3-dimensional realism continues with YPAO 3D. The boomerang looking object you find in the box, will help correct the height and angle of your main and presence speakers.

View attachment 1548070

Giving your system the ability to precisely place and steer sounds around the listener.

Surround: AI is featured on the RX-A4A and above, and sets out to simplify and refine all of our Cinema DSP research and design. Our world-famous digital sound field processing started in 1986 with the DSP-1 ever since then, we have been perfecting our original sound field processing technology, whilst supporting the latest Dolby & DTS formats. Surround: AI creates custom sound fields in real time according to the scene of the film you’re watching. When using conventional CINEMA DSP modes, the optimum mode needs to be selected to yield the best results. Surround: AI automatically determines the best parameters, and selects the most appropriate sound mode. For example, is the current scene of the film focusing on delivering dialogue, ambient sound, subtle sound effects or a highly intense action scene?

View attachment 1548072

In addition, what's the required intensity of that selected mode? It would be impossible to change this in time using our conventional DSP programmes, and it wouldn’t be much fun to watch either.

View attachment 1548073

Luckily, Surround: AI extracts all of the required information to build the perfect sound field, analysing the signal 5 times every second, intelligently adapting to each and every scene throughout the film. You might be thinking why would you need something like this if you’ve already got Dolby Atmos & DTS X? Scale – in real life we hear sounds originate from all around us, not in 5.1 or 7.1.4. In most cases there are small gaps in the sound stage, due to the number of speakers we can run and install in our listening rooms. Surround: AI can take a Dolby Atmos or DTS X recording and fill those gaps, creating a truly immersive sound field that melts the walls of your room away.

The Future

Using a brand-new System on Chip from Qualcomm, helps us to remain flexible for whatever the future throws at us. The QCS407 is the new brain for our AVR’s.

View attachment 1548074

Featuring a quad-core CPU, dedicated audio processing and high-resolution audio support, this powerful new chipset delivers 7 times the DSP processing power vs. a conventional design and replaces 4 DSP processors used in previous models. What's more, it has plenty of capacity to spare. More impressive is its flexibility, featuring a Field Programmable Gate Array, means we can update its configuration via software instead of having to purchase a completely new chipset. This gives us the possibility to add new functions via software updates, and provide long lasting value.

The Flagship

Now the moment we’ve all been waiting for… the very definition of control. Our new Flagship, the RX-A8A. Let me start by explaining, this isn’t the best Yamaha AVR because it’s got 11ch or because it’s got the most power. It’s the best because it’s the most delicate, it’s an AVR that loses the least, holding on to as much detail and conveying the true intent of the artist. Without any of you being able to hear it yet, let us try to explain.

To provide an even more robust structure, we have increased the bottom plate thickness by 30% vs. the RX-A3080, giving superior strength to the entire chassis.

View attachment 1548075

Additionally, it features our best heavy-duty iron feet, which have been borrowed from the flagship 5200 series.

We aren’t forgetting about our iconic 5th foot either. Despite many different opinions and feelings around this, our tests have revealed that the inclusion of brass inside the A.R.T Wedge has provided an improvement to the overall sound. For the same reasons, we install brass plates or washers under the transformers inside the A-S3200, 2200 & 1200 integrated hi-fi amplifiers, helping deliver a richer texture and depth of sound.

View attachment 1548076

It’s one thing to retain as much signal information as possible, what have we done to improve the signal transmission itself? We have also tried our upmost to reduce impedance and ensure the lease amount of resistance is applied against the sensitive audio signal paths. Which is why we have doubled the thickness of the copper tracks on our power amplifier and analogue PCB’s, now matching that of the MX-A5200
View attachment 1548077
To continue with idea of low impedance, the gauge of power supply and ground wiring has been carefully selected to ensure effortless power delivery which has also come from the MX-A.

Lastly, we’ve installed extra-large custom block capacitors, making these the largest amongst the new range of AVR’s. These help Lower impedance and improve grip and drivability over any connected loudspeaker.

View attachment 1548079

But none of this tells you how it can make you feel or what it sounds like. Ultimately, you’ll need to decide when you have the chance to listen for yourselves. What we will say is, it’s beautiful. It doesn’t require massive amounts of volume to reveal what's actually going on within the music or movie score. Its wonderfully wide, providing a sound stage that stretches further than some hi-fi amps. Largely, it’s the grip and control it seems to have that impresses us the most.

View attachment 1548080

To read more about the Yamaha range of AV Receivers – CLICK HERE

Yamaha AVENTAGE Flagship 2021 AV Receivers Video:

We simply can’t wait for you all to hear it and share your thoughts.

Hi Just bought RX-A8A and was looking if this will support 9.1.4 with Atmos configuration and if there is any setup diagram for it that shows the connections from receivers to speakers. There is the diagram that came with the system but that is for 7.1.4. hopefully someone out there can help me.

Hi Just bought RX-A8A and was looking if this will support 9.1.4 with Atmos configuration and if there is any setup diagram for it that shows the connections from receivers to speakers. There is the diagram that came with the system but that is for 7.1.4. hopefully someone out there can help me.

Yamaha don't provide any support for a 13 channel setup with any of their AV receivers. The maximum number of speakers in any setup facilitated with either the A6 or the A8 will be 11. Yamaha do not provide any provision for front width speakers. The most you can attain is a 7.1.4 setup and this would require an additional 2 channel external power amp if using the A6. The A8 is an 11 channel model with no provision to extend this by adding external channels of amplification. Both the A6 and the A8 are limited to just 11 channels of simultaneous processing (12 if you include the LFE channel). 9.1.4 would require 13 channels of amplification.

Last edited:
Yeah Andrew Robinson certainly prefers the much cheaper Onkyo TX-RZ50, which I'd like to demo myself and see if he's right.
Its only in US though aint it?
They stopped selling it in UK

Its only in US though aint it?
They stopped selling it in UK
He didn't outright prefer it he just said for the money he thought it was a better deal.
And it's not been on sale in the UK yet only us.
And with the company changing hands recently it could be hard to say when or if it is.
Some have mentioned April but I wouldn't count my chickens.

Richersounds are taking back my a2a to see if they can fix the audio delay from streaming apps on it.. they gave me a denon x2700 while its in... you'd think a audio delay of a few seconds wouldnt bother you but the Denon is perfect... i press play on netflix and audio is straight in over earc from my a90j..

Hi, I'm new to the world of cinema amps. Is it worth spending £200 on a yamaha a2 to get me started? Will I be OK with the sound?? I currently have some hitachi amp from the 1970s which has a really rich warm sound to it with a deep bass characteristic. I understand that the modern amps typically tend to be more weighted towards a tinnier high frequency sound. My hitachi is currently connected to a pair of Ohm RW3 club speakers and i consider them to sound amazing. Especially when watching a movie albeit in stereo. I also have 4 bose double cube speakers and a bose center speaker which is not connected yet but I intend to connect all of this on the yamaha. I understand that the a2 was a decent amp years ago but is it worth getting for £200 or am I better off spending more on a more current amp? Or would my £200 be best spent on an alternative? Your opinions would be greatly appreciated thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom