Promoted Yamaha’s Flagship AVENTAGE AV Receivers have been re-born under the concept of True Sound

TechEnthu

Gene actually mentions the fact, as a result of his on-going review of the A6A, he is in direct contact with Yamaha with a view to resolving things that he's found. Please refer to 1:15
Things moved forward since that time. He said to members that Yamaha replied to him, confirmed his measuments and that problems with distorsion on some channels require hardware change, which might come with new production line in H2 2022. So, waiting for publication. He said he was finilising listening tests and publication will go ahead.

TechEnthu

which is all well and good but as far as im concerned my a6a sounds fine with my reference KEF's
That's fine, even perfect if your unit serves your needs well. I hope you accept that AVR was not designed specifically for your use case. It has wider audience with different configurations and its versatility is being tested by various users.

My AVR is good for me, but it might not be for others.

Barney Gumble

which is all well and good but as far as im concerned my a6a sounds fine with my reference KEF's
Nobody should ever challenge you on your gear or how you have it set up if you're happy with it chap. It's your money, you paid for it, you enjoy it.

I respect Gene from Audioholics though and if he's the mouthpiece on behalf of the consumer that is privileged to a captive audience with Yamaha and able to to point out things that aren't quite right to Yamaha directly, more power to him.

They're more likely to give the likes of you and I short shrift.

TechEnthu

Nobody should ever challenge you on your gear
Anyone can challenge any gear. There are no perfect machines.
The challenge is to be willing to step out of self-oriented perspective when users report testing results and their concerns related to machines that we keep dear in our hearts.

QuestShield

Distinguished Member
Yeah Andrew Robinson certainly prefers the much cheaper Onkyo TX-RZ50, which I'd like to demo myself and see if he's right.

Meridius

Slightly off topic, but did you buy the WXA-50 and how was its build quality?
I did. And it’s a very solid unit And heavy and well built. I have it standing up with the feet fitted and gets warm not hot and there is lots of functions.

XL5

I did. And it’s a very solid unit And heavy and well built. I have it standing up with the feet fitted and gets warm not hot and there is lots of functions.
Thanks, that'll do me..looking forward to getting back to a simple stereo system.

Meridius

Thanks, that'll do me..looking forward to getting back to a simple stereo system.
Had it a few months and seems great. I have mine paired with Alexa so I can use my voice to Control it. and the iPad all hooked up to it and also an app to control it. Could not ask for anymore from such a small amp. And very compact

XL5

Had it a few months and seems great. I have mine paired with Alexa so I can use my voice to Control it. and the iPad all hooked up to it and also an app to control it. Could not ask for anymore from such a small amp. And very compact
Cheers mate, the Yamahas I've owned in the past have been rock solid and very honest with the source material, separation bass control and grip etc....of course you can party with the dsp modes which I believe Yamaha brought to the masses.
Thanks

N1ck

How have peoples Yamahas been for reliability? I used to really like them and always believed that they were well made…until I bought them. I had a Yamaha keyboard which hissed and crackled after a few months and my Yamaha sound bar has already gone back once for a volume control fault. Now the Bluetooth doesn’t work properly. Not been impressed so far which is a shame as I do like the look of the new AVRs.

QuestShield

Distinguished Member
How have peoples Yamahas been for reliability? I used to really like them and always believed that they were well made…until I bought them. I had a Yamaha keyboard which hissed and crackled after a few months and my Yamaha sound bar has already gone back once for a volume control fault. Now the Bluetooth doesn’t work properly. Not been impressed so far which is a shame as I do like the look of the new AVRs.

The only issue I ever had with Yamaha equipment was a mini system I bought in the Nineties. It has this amazing bass boost on it but the damn thing kept on throwing an issue with rustling sounds. I replaced it with another unit and the same thing happened. They gave me another Yamaha mini system and it was perfect though without the bass boost. Since then I've never had a Yamaha product miss a beat. Nearing 15 years with my RX-V661 the thing runs cool as a cucumber.
Now it's time to upgrade.. might get the RX-A4A, how does music sound on it?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Video review probably better for most folks:

Gene will be doing listening tests soon. But he also said "There are some pretty significant things that need to be addressed and Yamaha is already planning changes in the next gen models as a result." .

jamiepm

My take on having watched the video, is that most of what his equipment can measure is probably inaudible to all but the best of hearing, which he comments several times in the video. Coupled with the point that some of his critical observations could be fixed via a firmware update as this kit has some fancy new chip in it, so I guess does any of it matter if the sound is already good??

from my own listening the receiver sounds great, so fixes or not won’t concern me

cheers Jamie

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
My take on having watched the video, is that most of what his equipment can measure is probably inaudible to all but the best of hearing, which he comments several times in the video. Coupled with the point that some of his critical observations could be fixed via a firmware update as this kit has some fancy new chip in it, so I guess does any of it matter if the sound is already good??

from my own listening the receiver sounds great, so fixes or not won’t concern me

cheers Jamie

Sure it won`t be dramatic audible issue with movies as you tend to concentrate more of the story and what happens on screen anyway, some bugs can be fixed by firmware updates. But people also expect they get high quality state of art product as you do pay more than competitors. Yamaha had quite long time to get things right with these new units so it`s bit suprising and disappointing to see the engineers not optimizing everything as they do measure these things when they design them. For a regular Joe i don`t see this being any issue assuming the hdmi 2.1 update works flawlessly when it arrives and the few bugs will be fixed soon. For a 2ch music listening i believe these units could be ahead of competitors, it´s something many has noticed with aventage Yamahas. And of course the build quality and reliability weights too. Let`s hope @Steve Withers will get A8A for a review soon, intresting to hear how Steve feels about how Yamaha stands up to Arcam/Anthems which he has heard lately...

Last edited:

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
Sure it won`t be dramatic audible issue with movies as you tend to concentrate more of the story and what happens on screen anyway, some bugs can be fixed by firmware updates. But people also expect they get high quality state of art product as you do pay more than competitors. Yamaha had quite long time to get things right with these new units so it`s bit suprising and disappointing to see the engineers not optimizing everything as they do measure these things when they design them. For a regular Joe i don`t see this being any issue assuming the hdmi 2.1 update works flawlessly when it arrives and the few bugs will be fixed soon. For a 2ch music listening i believe these units could be ahead of competitors, it´s something many has noticed with aventage Yamahas. And of course the build quality and reliability weights too. Let`s hope @Steve Withers will get A8A for a review soon, intresting to hear how Steve feels about how Yamaha stands up to Arcam/Anthems which he has heard lately...

Hi Gasp,

I agree with everything you said above apart from your point about Yamaha's Adventage 2 CH music performance. As I found my old AVR550 and AVR30 to easily outperform my A3070 with 2 CH music. And I am of mind that this is the consensus.

I will add though, now that I've got my speakers in their optimal position, away from side walls and behind my AT screen, I've never heard my A3070 sound this good, and I haven't even EQ'd my speakers. So, I'd be thoroughly interested to see what the likes of Arcam or Anthem sound like with my setup now.

I'm also intrigued to read what Withers has to say about the A8A and am interested about the new receivers due this year - is Pioneer bringing one to market?

fallinlight

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom