Promoted Yamaha’s Flagship AVENTAGE AV Receivers have been re-born under the concept of True Sound

I've nothing more to say on this. I'm as bored as everyone else I imagine.

And if you're so clever and bored, then please do tell…

What precisely does it do?

People appear to be overjoyed with what I post as long as they agree with it, but as soon as I say anything that rocks their boat …

I don't get paid to post here, I'm not an employee of Yamaha or any other manufacturer and I could simply stop posting without it having any detrimental effect upon my life.

So very sorry I'm not living up to your expectations. Maybe I should just cease posting anything to avoid your boredom?

Last edited:
Can't find RX V6A anywhere need help
According to my local Richer Sounds they’re now hoping to have some stock of both the A6 and A8 around the second week in September.

Not sure that anyone has noticed, but Southsider21 appears to be looking for an RX-V6 and not an Aventage model:

Can't find RX V6A anywhere need help

Maybe he isn't aware that this topic is discussing the upper tier Aventage models or just using it to make a general enquiry due to the fact the thread has the word Yamaha in it?

Anyway, there are stock issues associated with all of the models right now and not just those manufactured by Yamaha. There's effectively a shortage and nowhere really has any stock at this point in time. The best you can do is place an order with a retailer and await them getting stock delivered.

I have mine set to auto?

I have mine set to auto?

That would result in the receiver deciding which if any SUR. DECODER mode to apply. If the source were a Dolby Digital 5.1 source then the AV receiver would engage the Dolby Surround upmixing mode, but if it were DTS 5.1 then the receiver would use the Neural:X upmixing and not Dolby Surround.

by default 2021-08-21 at 22.21.31.png

AS I keep saying, don't confuse those SURROUND DECODER modes with the DSP Programs. The DSP Programs are something you apply instead off SUR. DECODER modes or as an alternative to and have a different effect upon the audio. The DSP Programs cannot utilise any upmixing mode other than the NEO: 6 Cimema upmixing, but do offer far more user control over room size and delay etc. The MOVIE DSP Programs are probably more usueful to most users when compared to the MUSIC options you get unless you want to experience what it is like to sit in a German beer keller listening to Take That (or West Life)?

Yamaha commonly use the term "Soundfield Effects" when referring to the DSP Programs onboard their more recent models.

Last edited:
So what are the DSP Programs (soundfield effects)?

The following is how Yamaha describe each of their DSP Programs relating to movies and entertainment:

by default 2021-08-22 at 14.39.10.png

by default 2021-08-22 at 14.39.28.png

It has to be stressed that you can edit the way these soundfield effect sound and there are configurations for each of them relating to factors such as the desired room size you'd like the effect to portray, the delay relative to the main and surround speakers, the effects level and in some instances other factors such as livelyness

by default 2021-08-22 at 14.44.44.png

by default 2021-08-22 at 14.45.24.png

by default 2021-08-22 at 14.45.51.png

by default 2021-08-22 at 14.46.12.png

These user definable elements make the DSP Programs far more customisable than the SUR. DECODER modes. You shouldn't take too much notice ot the titles Yamaha have assigned these Programs either. The ability to edit them makes them useful relativto a multitude of different types of content other than what their titles suggest. For example, I use the SCI-FI Program for just about everything most would ordinarilly apply a mode such as Dolby Surround or Neural:X to and much prefer this. The modified DSP Program just sound more atmospheric and room filling than the available DTS or the Dolby upmixing processing.

It has to be noted that you cannot apply these DSP Programs to Atmos or DTS:X soundtracks and they are obviously not in effect while the receiver is set to its STRAIGHT or PURE DIRECT modes. The Programs will also overide any AUR. DECODER modes you had engaged prior to engaging the Program in question. The only SUR. DECODER mode used by the Programs will be NEO:6, although the first gen of Yamaha;s Atmos enabled receivers did also allow a user to choose between Dolby Pro LOgic or NEO:6 as the upmixer for use with these programs.

There are also Programs that are supposed to be used in association with music, but I find these less useful and don't personally use them. These are the Programs most reviews are relating to when they start making jokes about sitting in a beer keller.

Last edited:
Ok so what settings do I use if I want the source to be replayed as is? So. Dolby 5.1 track as dolby 5.1?

Ok so what settings do I use if I want the source to be replayed as is? So. Dolby 5.1 track as dolby 5.1?

There are 2 options. You can either use the STRAIGHT mode or PURE DIRECT. The former is probably the best option in most instances because you'd still be able to utilise the receiver's bass management and YPAO room EQ correction while STRAIGHT is engaged. The PURE DIRECT mode would bypass the bass management and the YPAO Parametric room EQ correction. PURE DIRECT is ordinarilly used by most to portray stereo sources as opposed to multichannel sources, but only if you've full range steakers that aren't heavilly dependant upon a sub for bass and the reproduction of lower end frequencies.

STRAIGHT would negate and bypass all DSP Program and SUR. DECODER upmixing processing, but will still use the AV receiver's speaker size and crossover configurations as well as the Parametric room EQ correction.

Last edited:
I'm being told the first batchs of A6's are not expected till end Sept/early Oct. Not sure I can hold out much longer, an A4 is tempting......

I have dual SB3000 subs, so am I right in thinking that all these new Aventages have independent sub-outs that can be set up / phase delayed and EQ'd totally seperately?

The A6 and the A8 include options relating to the layout and location of more than one sub. The A4 hasn't these options so I can only assume that despite having 2 sub pre outs that it wouldn't EQ them individually or have seperate independant level and distance configurations either?

The 2 top tier models are also the only models to include configuration menus for SUBWOOFER 1 and SUBWOOFER 2. Again, this strongly suggests that they do include indenpant configurations for each sub.

Last edited:
Thanks dante01 for your reply, always a huge fountain of knowledge.

I'm being told the first batchs of A6's are not expected till end Sept/early Oct. Not sure I can hold out much longer, an A4 is tempting......

I have dual SB3000 subs, so am I right in thinking that all these new Aventages have independent sub-outs that can be set up / phase delayed and EQ'd totally seperately?

My A6 is coming 18th september, i doubled checked last week

Thanks guys, would be great to hear all your thoughts when you have time.

I have an old Yamaha receiver, maybe 14 years old.. no joke. I think the best DSP mode on that is Standard seems to do the trick for most stuff. Anyway my old receiver doesn't even decode lossless soundtracks never mind all the other modern goodies, so I'm keeping an eye on the market and have some basic questions..

Yamaha RX-V6A specs look very similar to RX-A2A. The Aventage looks more premium obviously but it's there a big difference in the sound?

Also considering the Marantz SR5015 - is there a big difference musically or functionally between that and the Yamaha receivers mentioned?

I have an old Yamaha receiver, maybe 14 years old.. no joke. I think the best DSP mode on that is Standard seems to do the trick for most stuff. Anyway my old receiver doesn't even decode lossless soundtracks never mind all the other modern goodies, so I'm keeping an eye on the market and have some basic questions..

Yamaha RX-V6A specs look very similar to RX-A2A. The Aventage looks more premium obviously but it's there a big difference in the sound?

Also considering the Marantz SR5015 - is there a big difference musically or functionally between that and the Yamaha receivers mentioned?

The A2 is basically an RX-v6a with Aventage chassis and an extra foot. The A4 employs higher grade DACs, power supply and components as well as using the new 64bit variant of Yamaha's YPAO. Also note that the A6 is a 9 channel AVR with 11 channel processing. The V6, the A2 and the A4 are all limited to just 7 channels.

You'd not get the Auro3D processing you'd get with the A6 on any of the Yamaha models below it and neither would you get this with the Marantz SR5015. The SR5015 is again limited to just 7 channels and you'd need the Sr6015 if wanting 9 inchannels plus the 11 channel processing you'd get with the A6. The Marantz SR5015 is more comparable to the Yamaha RX-V6 than the Aventage models and is basically much the same receiver as the Denon AVR-X2700. It does however have a different signature sound to it, comparable to what you'd expect from Marantz products and is tuned to be more synpathetic relative to musical sources. Yamaha are also regarded as being very good with musical sources. Denon are not so well regarded in this respect.

Also note that only 3 of the inputs on theV 6 and the A2 will be 4K 120Hz enabled and they will also be capped at 24Gbps. The A4 and the 2 models above it all include 7 inputs that will be 4K 120Hz compliant and they'll all handle 40Gbps.

If wanting a more comparable Marantz model to the A6 then you should be looking at the SR7015.

Last edited:
Thanks @dante01, in my current room setup I'd be just looking to upgrade to 7.1 (5.1.2) would do me with upfiring Atmos speakers. If I get a dedicated mancave in the future I'll definitely be eyeing the higher range Yamaha and Marantz..
I'm still not sure what to go for. RX-V6A appeared to be the cheapest though and is very popular.

I'd suggest you look at the A4. This is more expensive than the A2, but you do get better DACs, better YPAO and 40GBps HDMI version 2.1 HDMI.

The A2 is too close to what you'd get with a V6 to warrant the additional cost.

The Marantz SR6015 should also be on your list.

I'd suggest you look at the A4. This is more expensive than the A2, but you do get better DACs, better YPAO and 40GBps HDMI version 2.1 HDMI.

The A2 is too close to what you'd get with a V6 to warrant the additional cost.

The Marantz SR6015 should also be on your list.

Good call the A4 and SR6015 will require more moolah but serious consideration..

I am still deciding on the a6a or a8a as they are about £1000 difference and not to sure if the a8a is worth that extra.
I owned a 25 year old dos a2 and went onto the Rx-3900 which I have now.

I am still deciding on the a6a or a8a as they are about £1000 difference and not to sure if the a8a is worth that extra.
I owned a 25 year old dos a2 and went onto the Rx-3900 which I have now.

The only real difference I have seen are:

• A8A has 2 extra channel amps, if you want 7.2.4, or bi-amp with either 7.2.2 or 5.2.4; however the A6A does full 11 channel processing and has pre-outs so you can add an amplifier for those channels now or in the future (which will probably be less than £1000.
  • The A6A uses the same DACs as the 3080 did (ES9026PRO for LCR and ES9007S for surrounds), but the A8A upgrades the secondary DAC to ES9026PRO

For the first point you probably know up front if you NEED those two channels now, or in the near future, or not. You either have or are building out to 7.2.4 or you aren't; you either have speakers you can bi-amp and want to, do it or you don't (and whether its worthwhile or not is a whole other discussion). You either have or want to have zone 2/3 setup and want to drive it from same receiver, or you don't...

For the DACs... it's trickier. How much does this matter? It's really hard to say. The overall engineering of the AVR probably matters more than the DACs themselves, and the quality of your speakers matters too - a great DAC probably won't output better sound through average speakers. Plus, the content you put through them - there's only so much a DAC can do, if the source was mediocre to average encoding/over-compressed/etc (e.g, anything sent over standard bluetooth audio, most streaming services, etc).

Other than that, I believe they have exact feature parity - but the A8A weighs 6 pounds more, and is nearly 1.5" longer (depth).

Edit - I think there was one other difference I saw, now that I remember, that the power supplies is split for the main unit and the amplifiers in the A8A. That is a nice improvement. Worth the price difference alone if you don't need the extra channels or care about the DAC as much? I can't say.

The only real difference I have seen are:

• A8A has 2 extra channel amps, if you want 7.2.4, or bi-amp with either 7.2.2 or 5.2.4; however the A6A does full 11 channel processing and has pre-outs so you can add an amplifier for those channels now or in the future (which will probably be less than £1000.
  • The A6A uses the same DACs as the 3080 did (ES9026PRO for LCR and ES9007S for surrounds), but the A8A upgrades the secondary DAC to ES9026PRO

For the first point you probably know up front if you NEED those two channels now, or in the near future, or not. You either have or are building out to 7.2.4 or you aren't; you either have speakers you can bi-amp and want to, do it or you don't (and whether its worthwhile or not is a whole other discussion). You either have or want to have zone 2/3 setup and want to drive it from same receiver, or you don't...

For the DACs... it's trickier. How much does this matter? It's really hard to say. The overall engineering of the AVR probably matters more than the DACs themselves, and the quality of your speakers matters too - a great DAC probably won't output better sound through average speakers. Plus, the content you put through them - there's only so much a DAC can do, if the source was mediocre to average encoding/over-compressed/etc (e.g, anything sent over standard bluetooth audio, most streaming services, etc).

Other than that, I believe they have exact feature parity - but the A8A weighs 6 pounds more, and is nearly 1.5" longer (depth).

Edit - I think there was one other difference I saw, now that I remember, that the power supplies is split for the main unit and the amplifiers in the A8A. That is a nice improvement. Worth the price difference alone if you don't need the extra channels or care about the DAC as much? I can't say.
Bigger transformer, bigger capacitors and the power supply is better isolated. Think there's one or two more but can't remember.

any tips for initial setup?

Not really, the basic set up was really easy - no surprises, etc.
I haven't got time yet to spend quality time with it, but the first impression is very good.

One unexpected behaviour is that I have blue ray player and apple tv connected directly to TV and then the a6a is connected over hdmi/eARC - it works so far very well, but each time it gets new audio signal (skipping to next chapter on blueray or new song on ATV/Music, etc. ) the first 2s-6s there is no sound. IF I switch audio to tv speakers it doesn't happen - it only happens with hdmi/eARC + a6a. Not sure if the issue is with the tv/earc or the a6a. I submitted a case with yamaha support earlier today.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom