Yamada PDiX-770 portable DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Stuart Wright, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,617
    Hi folks,
    just been playing with the Yamada PDiX-770 and I'm impressed.
    It's slot loading (from the right) so there is no hinged flip-up screen. The 7 inch LCD display is nice and clear although there is no protective covering so I probably wouldn't let the kids play with it.
    The package does, however, come with a protective pouch which you can pop the player in. It has a clear front so I think this might afford additional protection for the LCD display.
    The unit is multi-region out of the box and region 1, 2 and 3 DVDs all played fine on it. (See photo of region 3 Hero playing).
    The only output option is composite (an S-video would have been nice) but picture quality to our 28" telly was fine. With the 770's TFT screen active, the picture had some visible moving diagonal interference lines. But these soon disappear when the TFT screen is turned off. Something you'd want to do when using an external display, anyway.
    The only minor irritation with the unit is the length of time the battery power indicator graphic remains on the screen. Far too long.
    But that aside I would recommend this unit for using (with the supplied headphones, lighter power plug and pouch with straps) in the car or (with the supplied battery) on the train. Or indeed any time you want to watch a movie while out and about.

Features:
    MPEG 4 support
    16:9 TFT-LCD, 7“ display
    Slot-In DVD drive
    Headrest holder
    Bag
    Rechargeable battery pack
    Remote control
    12V car adapter and AC adapter
    Display turnable 180°
    2 screw thread for cockpit mounting

Display: 16:9 mit 7 Inch TFT-LCD, 1440 x 234
    TV System: PAL / NTSC / AUTO
    Formats: MPEG4 (AVI) / DVD / DVD+R / DVD+RW / DVD-R / DVD-RW / CD / SVCD / MP3 / CD-R / RW / JPEG
    Output: headphones/video/16kHz/24bit optical(digital)/analog audio output
    Audio: built-in DTS and Dolby Digital Decoder
    Firmware: Update via CD

I'll edit the thread with an expected price for this when I have the info.

Attached Files:

2. maxriptide

maxriptide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've recently bought this player, it plays dvds fine but there's a problem with divx movies, the picture is always squeezed from top to bottom, ie. movies with an aspect ratio of 1,85:1 are supposed to fill the screen (since it's 16:9) instead they are always letterboxed. I've tried different menu options but I can't solve this problem, any suggestions?

Max :)

3. ST722

ST722

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I am very impressed with this player because it can be tuned (wireless) into your radio as well so you don't need to pay extra cost for plugging it into your speaker system. I tried play MPEG4 files as well as region free, MP3, CDs and VCDs and they all working perfectly. Most importantly it keeps those children behind quiet. :D

4. maxriptide

maxriptide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

5. pmfarrer

pmfarrer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought this player and would apreciate it if anyone has any idea whether this 'squeezed divx' playback issue is likely to be solved in the near future?

6. TsR

TsR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    Is that "tuning into radio channel" really a feature of this device, or a joke? I can't find any information about it on manufacturer's site.
    Sounds interesting, it should be a FM transmitter in the device. Isn't it illegal to transmit such signals?

7. Andy Clark

Andy Clark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Hello there I am really interested in getting two of these players as I had bought the Nextbase SDV17 version and they do not play DVD+RW's at all. I was wondering if anyone could possibly help me out with these questions which I am struggling to find answers for.
    1. Are they fully Multi Region players out of the box.
    2. Do they definitely play DVD+RW recorded disks (I have a Philips DVDR880 - Yes I know lots of people have had problems with Philips recorders but I have not so far and all of the discs I have recorded work fine on all other DVD players)
    3. Are they supplied with all required equipment for in car use - i.e. Headrest mounting case.
    4. Are they supplied with indoor mains cables as well.
    5. Can they be mounted onto a centre mounting arm something like this so I can mount 1 screen between the seats of the car: http://shop.incardvd.uk.com/acatalog/Plug_and_Play_DVD_accessories.html (Voyager 4 central mount about half way down the page)
    6. Does anyone have a link available to the manual for the product.

Sorry for asking so many questions, but once burnt and all that.

Thanks,
    Andy Clark.

8. thelawman999

thelawman999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have owned mine since October 2004 and i love it. In answer to your questions;
    1) Yes it is multi region out of the box
    2) Yes it definately plays DVDRW as I record CSI every week (on my MICO R311) and watch it at work the following day using DVDRW discs (bog basic nothing fancy from Currys)
    3) Equipment - everything you need headphones, headrest bag, car charger, output a/v leads, remote control, a/c charger and of course battery
    4) as above - Yes indoors A/c charger supplied
    5) Yes but I don't know the screwthread size yet coz i want to do something the same !
    6) no link for the manual sorry

And as an extra for everyone else who asked about the FM transmitter. Not a joke it really works and the reason you won't see it advertised as a feature is because...yes it's illegal in the UK (what isn't these days !) but hey I own one and use it and the cops are far too busy chasing errmmm....well other things !

don't hesitate in deciding whether to purchase this - I haven't regretted it and by the way it is by far the best picture on any portable player in the market by a long way !

dave

9. Andy Clark

Andy Clark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Wow thank you Thelawman999 for your help with my questions. Exactly what I was looking for. (sorry been away for a few days hence not replying earlier) Now to finally get round to purchasing two (well as soon as the refund for the Nextbase versions I bought comes through) Best price I can find is £203.98 each at a company called CCLonline: here: http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=2602&category_id=207# Anybody heard/used them before? They look quite a good outfit as they list a lot of stuff but you never know. Also I asked Umax/Yamada about the screw hole in the bottom and all they could tell me was that they put it there for Tripod mounting? Anyway one battle left "what do you need to spend so much money on DVD players for" Yes the wife!

10. rpjcheney

rpjcheney
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been tracking this one, as I like the idea of the FM transmitter. (I'm sure that my 2 yr old won't keep a pair of headphones on for longer than 30 seconds...)

However, I can only stretch to buying one, so my question is regarding the viewing angle. Is it wide enough to keep two children happy in the back if it is slung between the two front seats?

If anyone has done this, successfully or otherwise, I would love to hear from you.

Cheers -- Rich.

11. Phil01

Phil01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, firstly, sorry for bumping up such an old thread. Hopefully though, that might be to my befifit as others may have already purchased a Yamada PDiX-770 and can help.

I'm looking at getting one of these, but all the online retailers I have contacted said their model didn't have the "wireless sound transmission to car hifi system". This obviously enables the DVD player to wirelessly transmit it's sound to an FM station so you can tune in your car radio and listen through your cars speakers. I've contacted Yamada (and Umax here in the UK) and they won't give any information except "this function is not available"!!

I think the reason for this is that the broadcasting laws in the UK don't allow such a function, but my question is this: Does anybody know a way around this!!! Hehehe. The player itself is firmware upgradeable via CD, but I have been unsuccessful in finding another English language firmware (USA?) for the DVD player. Has anybody else in the UK that has purchased this model managed to get around this, or does anybody know where I can purchase a model that has this function enabled?

Many thanks in advance for all help with this. I think it's such an excellent feature I can't believe others haven't cried out for this on ALL makes/models...

Cheers.

12. alderny

alderny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can answer your question regarding FM transmission. I bought one of these DVD players for my wife, and can confirm that it does indeed have a built-in FM transmitter. To turn it on you go to setup, then choose SWITCH and then set SWITCH FM to ON. The transmission frequency can also be set to either 107.5 or 107.9 MHz. I have tried it with a portable radio and it works throughout my house. I purchased it last December from Pixmania, but notice that they are thin on the ground at the moment, so it's possible the product has been temporarily withdrawn as it may contravene UK legislation. Hope this helps.

13. Phil01

Phil01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the reply. Funnily enough, I've already got in touch with Pixmania regarding their PDiX-770 and, although they have stock, they have confirmed that their product does NOT include the FM function and the SWITCH feature is now not available in SETUP the menu!!

I've tried everywhere to see if I can get the FM version, but to no avail. Can anybody help with this at all? Is there a way of getting hold of that version of firmware and overwriting the FMless version as I know the player can be upgraded via CD?

Many, many thanks for all help with this in advance.

14. RichBlack

RichBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    i have just bought this rather fabulous portable dvd player (2nd hand) unfortunately the av cable was not included. :(

Can someone who also owns this marvelous machine confirm the configuration of the composite av cable for me? :lease:

I assume it is a phono to mono 3.5mm mini-jack cable but you know what happens when you ass(u)me something. I have RTFM but unfortunately it is about as helpful as a kick in the grapefruits. :eek:

Thanks in advance guys!

Richie

15. RichBlack

RichBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok some self help required!

I bought a (cheap) 3.5mm monojack to phono socket converter and hooked it up via an phono to phono cable to cut a long story very short i could only get a picture with the minijack pulled out slightly. So, obviously the Pdix video output is a stereo minijack socket with the composite video on the uppermost contact.

Can anyone confirm the av cable supplied is a stereo minijack to single phono?

Thanks,

Richie

16. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just a quick question.

Im looking at getting a portable DVD player for the car and came accross this old thread. I like the sound of the machine but cant seem to find it anywhere (apart from £170 on ebay).

I have however stumbled accross this http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...Car_Travel_Kit/Product.html?searchtype=genre#
    which looks identical but with a different badge on. Any ideas if its the same product with a different name or different components in the same box ??

Looks really bice and for £100 im interested but have no idea if its any good.

Cheers

17. DAZZ2000

DAZZ2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depending on whether or not you've acted as impulsively as me...I may have caught you in time!.

I happend to have a PDIX-770 which I unfortunately have to sell. I bought it just before my birthday (approx 2 weeks ago) and by the time it had arrived I had kind of accidentally ordered an Archos AV480 too :)

The missus isn't liking me keeping both gadgets so one of them has to go. I'm keeping the 480 as its also perfect for playing mp3s in the car.

I actually came on this thread to see about the FM transmitter feature I'd unofficially heard about when I saw your post.

If you're interested in it, which is fully complete with all cables,car kit, carry case, manual etc then let me know. Looking for around £120 or thereabouts.

email darrenpalmer@hotmail.com if interested

Regards,
    Darren

18. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for the offer but im affraid I havent passed this by the wife yet so its probably just a pipe dream (until the next time we have a long car journey). You'd probably get a few takers on the items for sale section of the forum though.:)