Yamada dvd player in Maplin.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sapper44, Mar 13, 2004.

1. sapper44

sapper44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Just found this player in Maplin 79.99UK pounds seems to play everything.Planning to demo Sat afternoon.Any thoughts on the player.

2. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    As your probably aware there are three camps of divx players out there at the moment;

There's the kiss and liteon players that are based on a sigma chipset.

Theres the Yamada based on an ESS chipset

There is also the newer mediatek MT1389 series of chipsets in loads of other players.

Ultimately the mediatek chipset is very cheap compared to the sigma and ess. Its basically a budget dvd player chipset that has been exteneded to do divx/mpeg 4 material. As far as I know its not got anything in the way of scaling technology but does do progressive scan and has increased support for some divx/xvid features.

The ESS chipset is unknown to me from actual experience but I believe its somewhere between the sigma chipset and mediatek in functionality.

I currently have two players one is mediatek based and the other is a Kiss DP-450.

To my mind the Kiss is far superior in actual quality to the mediatek players. I played an xvid of ROTK on projector yesterday. The detail and stability of the image was spot on. Even projected onto a wall with an image over 6 feet across it still looked wonderful with no obvious pixellation or blocking. I just don't see that as possible on the mediatek players at least not on early firmwares anyway. The latest Kiss DP-508 player which is basically the same as the DP-450 but has a network/ethernet port and a built in hard drive scored 5/5 for picture quality in the current What Video. I still think that even though they are older technology the Kiss players should be on the shortlist of choices. The picture quality is amazing and the firmware is far more stable with better results than the mediatek for now.

In my opinion the Kiss DP-450/500 range are the best standalone divx players currently out there.

4. MKPatrick

MKPatrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'd take issue with this, having owned a DP-450 and now owning a Mediatek based Neuneo. The Kiss, for all it's scaling abilities and Sigma goodness was a dog in terms of reliability and its PAL progressive output is seriously compromised (banding, flicker). The Mediatek based player is far more stable, has a much better prog scan output and plays a wider variety of formats. Which Mediatek player do you own ?

As this technology advances we'll all be left out in the wilderness in a month or two again anyway!

Patrick