yama s1500 review (not the review i was hoping for)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by SILVERBACK, Oct 14, 2004.

1. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    im looking at a new dvd purchase and was interested in partnering my new yama 750se amp and a yama dvd player.i couldnt get a review for love nor money untill i came across www.ecoustics.com and got 1 review back.below is the review.

The S-1500 is Yamaha’s newest universal entry and their first universal transport geared more to the budget market. Not only does it offer SACD and DVD-A playback, it features Faroudja video processing via the new FLI-2310 chip.

Glancing inside the chassis revealed a clean design centered on the LSI Ziva 5 MPEG decoder. This chip has been in the market for quite some time now and in previous tests has given us some problems. This player is no different. The MPEG decoder will not synch the subtitles to the video frames, resulting in an obvious combing in subtitles. This player also suffers from some CUE problems. Normally this would be masked using the Faroudja’s chroma filtering, but in this implementation the filters are not turned on. Despite this, the chip did do an exceptional job with chroma information flagged with an alternating cadence such as Monster’s Inc. and Finding Nemo.

The use of the newest Faroudja de-interlacer is a mixed blessing since this chip has some definite pros and cons. On the plus side, the Faroudja performed brilliantly on all of our de-interlacing tests with the exception of material using a 2-2 cadence. The S-1500 does not have a mode for this so I do not recommend it for PAL playback. The downside is this player suffers from the video artifact commonly referred to as the “macroblocking bug.” This has become well documented with FLI-23xx based players. Using chapter 22 of A Bug’s Life, the artifact was very obvious and manifests as random blotches of digital "blocking" in the background. Switching over to the component interlaced output completely removed the artifact. We have also seen this artifact on models from Denon, Zenith, and Samsung.

In our core tests, the Yamaha did okay. Unfortunately, the player will not pass a below-black pluge, and its white output level is a bit hot at 102 IRE. Looking at the video frequency response curve, it seems that the player has a slight emphasis in the midrange frequencies that may result in some minor ringing in the image. Y/C delay for both Pb and Pr was about 25ns, which is about a full pixel of chroma delay.

The interface side of the player did quite well. Menu navigation is quite fast, but the initial load time when you insert a disc is pretty long. The layer change using a full bit rate title roll was a speedy 0.75 seconds.

The S-1500 doesn’t quite live up to the bar set by the Yamaha S-2300 MkII, but given its price point it’s a decent offering. I hope that Yamaha can tweak in a few of the shortcomings with a firmware update, especially issues like the Faroudja chroma filters and the black settings.

not quite as glowing as i was hoping for.

2. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yeah.. as in... that is a DVD review not an amp review ;-)

3. xbiggy

xbiggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    he already has the amp lookin 4 a new dvd he is that why posted the dvd review he did!!!

:laugh:

4. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    im lost lol.whats the point of the first reply again?