1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yam RXV795 amp switching itself off with new speakers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by clemas, Apr 21, 2003.

1. clemas

clemas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I just upgraded the random collections of speakers I'd accumulated over the last five years for a nice shiny new KEF KHT 2005 package. These are powered by my Yamaha RXV795 amp. I did some initial setting up and everything seemed fine, watched a few programs (quietly...) then this afternoon I fired up the big jedi battle in star wars II (it was the first DVD to hand...) - when I crank up the volume my Amp is switching itself off. Does anyone have any pointers on what I'm doing wrong? I initially thought the impedance was set wrong but all the sats are 8ohm and thats the mode my amp is in - what else can cause the amp to behave like this?

thanks,
    Andy C.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All speaker's set to small?
    No wires shorting somewhere?
    Are you using bare wire or banana's?

3. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Define turning it up...:D
    If you mean seriously loud, then the Clone Battle is notorious for running most amps right to the clipping point, and in some cases engaging the protection circuits, which is what you describe.

However, if it's not that loud then there may be a problem with the unit itself?

BTW make sure you set all the speakers to small, otherwise the protection circuits will kick in much sooner than you might think.

4. Oli

Oli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sounds to me like there is a connection shorting out, like a +ve/-ve wire touching, I've had the same thing before on my sub with my old RXV595, was only when the volume went up, I epect due to a certain current going through the circuit?

5. clemas

clemas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the pointers. When I say 'turned it up' - thats up to the volume my girlfriend will tolerate without complaining (so not all that loud...)

I am using bare wire connections, I double checked I had 'small' selected in all the amplifier options, and checked that no wires were shorting. Still seems to have a problem with Star Wars though (this time in the Count Dooku/Obi wan fight scene at the end) - so I tried something different, I put on Blade 2 once the other half had gone out and I turned the volume up to something *I* think is loud - you know, where the house starts shaking :) There was no problem at all with any of Blade - is it possible that a particular DVD can cause this problem?

I'll have to try a few other DVDs...

cheers,
    Andy.