Yam' DSPE800 Set-up

9designs

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a Yamaha DSPE800, it all works so that’s good.
Any tips on set up ?

It is fed by a Proline 2000 DVD
The Main System is:-
Linn Kairn Pre amp
Linn LK280/Spark Power
Dynaudio Gemini Main Speakers
Kef Cresta 1 Rear speaker,
No sub and No centre speaker.

Every thing is set to large, and no centre and no sub etc.
The Proline is connected digitally.

The delay and timings puzzle me a little, I have “balanced” the volume front and rear with the test tone.

Tar

Steve

If it sounds ok I would leave well alone.

The delay is used if the sound from the main speakers arrives later than the centre. Since you are not using a centre this should not be a problem. I had a spare pair of speakers so for £250 I got a home cinema. I did buy the kef q95 later and I have just ordered the iplacoustics subwoofer kit. I think that will do me. I think if you have a good amp/power amp like you have ( I have audiolab gear)the yamaha is a great option and you get the great quality of your existing amp.

As Mark say,s, if it sounds ok... Depending on the distance you are from your rears you may find you may have to alter the volume level between D/D and pro-logic, tape or TV, I find I have to lower the volume by about two for pro-logic. My rears are 5ft either side just slighly behind. I,ve just recently added a sub from iplacoustics and if you can afford it and have the space for one I,d certainly go for it, a huge difference.

Philmate.

------------------
"Beware the Wok child"

Hi me again,

As at the moment you have'nt got a sub or centre, I found the best sound came from the following..if your mains are floor standers set the Yam to main, fronts as large your rears to small and no centre, then use test tone.
Philmate

------------------
"Beware the Wok child"

Yep, I do find a change in level, Pro-logic seems a lot quiter on the rear channels !
Also it's crap compared to DD. Well the stuff of TV etc is.
DTS though is streets ahead, will have to buy more US disks !
The bass output (just watched "lost in space") is very good. The Dynaudio's are Mid Tweeter Mid layout and ported, The Cresta 1's are not shy for such a small speaker either. The rears are a few feet behind my listening position and about 10 foot apart. The fronts are about 12 foot infront of me.

I have a pair of monitor audio silver 8i's and there bass responce goes down beyond a lot of subwoofer designs. I tried a rell strataIII at home and was amazed at the difference although not so amazed to buy it
at £700 for the wood finish. So I am spending £300 and getting the ipl sub.

Ivan must be making a bob or two out of the home cinema market.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom