1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yam AX750 Marantz SR7400

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Andy Dee, Dec 7, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Andy Dee

Andy Dee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi All,

This area is all a bit new to me and was just wondering your thoughts on the following.

I will be purchasing the M S Genie 5.1 speaker package shortly and am wondering whether i should take advantage of the Marantz SR7400 now thats its available at roughly the same price as the Yamaha AX750?

I have heard the AX750 and have always had it as "the amp to Buy" for my setup, but after reading many reviews (unfortunatley not been able to audition yet) i am wondering whether the SR7400 should be snapped up at the price.

It had never been in my budget till recently.

Any thoughts?

2. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the 750 is about £100 cheaper than the 7400, it's £380 at Superfi!

It's a stonking amp when setup, just don't trust the auto-setup to get it perfect, I thoroughly recommend it, I've got it driving MS Avants and the sound is awesome :D

You need to find a shop where you can listen to the two amps and decide if it's worth the extra money to get the 7400 - I've not heard it but others report to be very good.

Also have a think about music and listen to your speakers...the Genies are very capable but I just felt that no sub/sats had big enough midrange for music - hence going for 906 floorstanders from Richer Sounds.

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,338
    The only real specification difference between the two is that the Yamaha has video up- conversion whilst the Marantz does not. I expect the Marantz to be better in stereo but whilst the Genies are good in stereo for satellites Bob is probably right in saying that the Genies will not bring this advantage out fully.

4. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I felt the same with my Mordaunt-Short Premiere package. Althought these were very good, they do lack midrange, as with any other sat system. I also changed to the full size MS Avant setup (906, 905c, 902). I even managed to get a pair of 906s for £280! If you can cope with the size of a full range setup, you will never go back.

5. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I believe EvilJohn2 bought his SR7400 for £400, at the £20 price difference, I'd say the SR7400 was the better buy.

Unless you need the video up conversion.

Both amps are very good though, but I'd say the amps in the marantz are of a higher quality and could probably be pushed a tad harder. Not that the Yamahas amps are bad, far from it, it is also a quality AV amplifier.

6. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was shallow and went for the shiny silver amp instead :D

My 750 was £350 but they've gone up a bit since then.

Petertyson have the 7400 at £400 but it's in black, basically audition the pair of them and pick the one you like best.

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    My Marantz SR7400 has video upconversion :confused:

It was £399.99 plus about £11 postage.

8. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,338
    I stand corrected- it just never made mention of it on anything I read and it isn't something I tried out.

9. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I havn't tried it but it's all in the manual, it'll upconvert from composite to s-video to component, and downconvert from s-video to composite. Unfortunately not from component to s-video which is what I'd like it to do :suicide:

10. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Strangely enough, the Marantz product literature, and website, did not advertise the upconversion feature of this amp, although when I downloaded the manual, it was clearly mentioned. The dealer himself wasn't convinced, so we tested in the shop. It worked, I was sold.... rest is history.