1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yam 750se set up

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by LLcoolDave, Dec 12, 2004.

1. LLcoolDave

LLcoolDave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i have gone through the manual, done the auto set up. everything av is good. just want to know any tips on the stereo set up?? sounds a bit tinny(bright) to me. had a yam before, and that sounded alot more natural. ive played with the the tone etc. is it just me getting used to a newer amp or am i missing something??? also when the auto levels are in, it seems to change the stereo image by putting more db on one speaker?? can i change this so i have 50/50 stereo image without changing the cinema settings??

cheers
    dave :confused:

2. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, it's not just you mate, I noticed it and (finger-crossed) fixed it on someone elses amp also. The auto-setup is not exactly perfect - I had to play with it for ages.

Firstly, go into stereo mode and hit the "Level" button on the face of the amp or on the remote (top-left button of the arrow key grouping) and check the front speaker levels. They're not the same in stereo and multi-channel and you can't set them from the Manual Settings menu!

Yamaha have handily left independant level settings for stereo and multi-channel, and then cunningly not told everyone about them. My fronts were set to -5db in stereo and sounded really tinny (MS Avant 906s!), I now have them at +3 and they're much more weighty.

3. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I compared the 750 with denon's 2105, and found it brighter, the denon is warmer, but to my ears, the yam had much more detail and a bigger soundstage. I went for the 750 myself and as i expected with my ms10 speakers it's brightish, but when my missions go back in all should be perfect. i absolutely love the sound, better than my marantz stereo amp and my old yam reciever. Music is great, movies brill. only problem is i have noticed the front channels buzz all the time very quietly, but i only notice this when going to sleep!! And i think it maybe where my amp is.

5. LLcoolDave

LLcoolDave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    thanks alot people, im on it!! bloody hell that manual is big! :thumbsup:

6. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Two things I did in stereo mode. One was to up the db as stated above to +3db and secondly, I manually adjusted the treble and bass. Made a heck of a difference.

7. Andy Dee

Andy Dee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Something i am wondering is...

You can manually set the LF crossover (mines at 100Hz) i think the default is 140Hz in the speaker management settings.

Using pure direct mode cancels the signal to the Subwoofer, but it isnt clear whether it also disables the crossover settings so that the Main stereo pair are fed the the whole freq range?

Anyone? :confused:

8. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm almost certain it sends the full frequency range to the fronts - otherwise some of my music would have holes in! If you've got a sub test CD you could play that and check that the tones below the crossover (and still in your fronts range!) are audible.

If not, let me know and I'll give it a go :)

Mal, I try to stay away from Treble/Bass controls if I can and use as last resort - aren't they disabled in Pure Direct anyway? They should be...

Just moved my sub out of the corner of the room btw - what a difference it makes to the bass! Nice and warm and direct rather than oppressive and boomy... :thumbsup: to the MS309!

9. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I'm still messing around with the amp & speaker/subwoofer settings. Will compare notes with you guys once I've got mine sounding 'sweet'!

10. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'm happy with the setup of mine now, I moved the sub out of the corner last night to be closer to the middle of the room and it sounds soooo much better. Bass is now tight and clear rather than boomy - hence I've turned the bass up more on the amp :devil:

Summary:
    All speakers small, crossover at 80Hz, bass out set to Sub
    Multi-channel: fronts at +3dB, centre at +3dB, rears at +4dB, sub at +1dB
    Stereo: fronts at +3dB

Not sure why I need the rears so high but they don't sound right to me otherwise - personal preference I guess!
    I'm also not decided about bass from "sub" only or "both", anyone have any thoughts on this?

11. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Treble and bass is disabled in pure stereo. It's in plain 2ch stereo where I've upped the treble and bass. Sounds good to me. Each to their own...........

12. LLcoolDave

LLcoolDave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    im still havin probs!
    if i change the db in stereo mode, or in cinema mode, it changes the settings globally! what i want to do is set the cinema program at my chosen levels, then set my cd(stereo mode) to my chosen levels, without setting them before viewin/listening!! also my sub is not working in stereo mode? i have set using the auto set (this sounds good in cinema mode), but the settings sound awful in stereo mode. i know its probably in the manual, but they havnt made it easy to locate, in fact the manuals layout and the is bloody confusing! the amp sounds great in stereo mode playin cds when i have the settings correct-tis a very good amp- when i said it was bright/tinny, i think it is just that it produces very clear/clean sound. i can pick new sounds out of my favourite cds that i have not heard before- now if i can just get these settings to store in there relevant source inputs, i will be a happy man!
    ps- mango bob, i read ur existing post regarding the setting procedure, but im a still a bit confused.
    many thanks people

:beer:

13. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe it's only Pure Direct that has it's own level settings then...I have to say I never use 2-Ch Stereo. For music I either use Straight or Pure Direct.

Pure Direct won't output sound on the LFE connection - so your sub won't work in PD mode unless you connect it to the front speaker posts at high level. It could also do this in 2-ch but I can't say as I don't use that mode. Straight mode will output to the front speakers and sub only - so use that mode if you want the sub to work.

Dave, did you change the level settings in Pure Direct mode or 2-ch Stereo? Try it in Pure Direct mode. Also try Straight mode for a bit more bass as the sub will definitely be included then.

Straight mode uses the multi-channel level settings - but I have my fronts at +3dB in both stereo and multi-channel so it makes little difference.

14. paulryan

paulryan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Calling all 750SE owners.

Could someone put me straight regarding this functionality.

Can i connect Video,SVideo AND Component through the AMP and extract
    output in BOTH Component AND SVideo ??

I am thinking about integrating a Component capable TV and wold LURVE
    to be able to pipe another feed around using the second output CAT5.

I know i can get component splitters from keene but would like to know if its built in.

Rgs
    Paul

15. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't think you could change anything in pure direct mode - the whole front panel and video outputs are disabled, so there is nothing to change - and if you could change it you wouldn't be able to see what you were doing?

16. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, you can still change the level settings - and they're independant of the multi-channel levels. This is why a lot of people find Pure Direct tinny - in my case the auto-setup set my fronts to -5dB in PD mode :thumbsdow . I've since changed it back to +3dB :thumbsup:

Only the display is turned off, volume and level still work - from the remote also. The display turns on when you use the amp. You've never changed the volume in Pure Direct mode?

17. paulryan

paulryan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps i didnt explain myself correctly.

My understanding (and i have reviewed the manual) is that this AMP can perform an upconversion of the input video signals (video and svideo) to component output.

There is only 1 component output so my question is when you enable the upconversion
    is ONLY the component output available or are the svideo &video outputs also available simultaneously ??

18. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul

You can have multiple video outs working simultaneously. I did have my old TV and plasma working at the same time.

Mango Bob - never really thought of it that way - I usually start something playing then remember its got pure direct mode and switch over. A case of open mouth before engaging brain I guess? I'll have another play tonight.

Ian

19. LLcoolDave

LLcoolDave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ive sat down, cup of tea, fag, read manual.......
    because i use mine for primarily cd playback ive set the db's at the levels i require for that, then adjusted the centre and rears to suit the cinema setting- changed to large fronts (LFE) and crossover hrz.
    it is much better for music playback now, real happy with the amp now!!

so it seems- do the auto set up- then bin it and adjust manually!! depending what your preferences are.

im gonna keep playing around with it.

cheers mango bob :beer:

20. reservoir51

reservoir51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave, that's exactly how I set mine up. First, auto-setup using YPAO and then manually change the parameters accordingly (eg. fronts +4dB, sub cross-over 80Hz, large front speakers, etc). It sounds great in 7.1 (both DTS-ES & DD-EX). For CDs, I use the Pure Direct mode like Bob. The '2-channel stereo' mode, even with the 'Straight/Bypass' mode engaged, sounds very bright and not as natural as PD although the sub adds an extra dimension to the music. I guess for those who like bass with their music (eg. dance music) the 'Straight/Bypass' mode would be great for them.

reservoir51

21. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I had my stands delivered mid-week so looking forward to set the speakers/amp properly this weekend. Going to do as you guys suggested and run automatic setup first and then adjust manually. Probably will be back here for advice!

22. Andy Dee

Andy Dee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have just finished tweaking mine (oo-err!)

I did the auto setup then went in and fixed it. The crossover was set at 140Hz? so i have that now at 100Hz (Kef Q4 fronts) increased the front DB on 'Straight' and things were much improved.

Still couldn't quite get it right (bit boomy)- then i saw a toggle switch on the PSW2500 sub that said 'Cinema/Music'. It was set to cinema so i changed it to Music and Voila!

Very impressed!

23. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Didn't even realise that :blush:

24. Andy Dee

Andy Dee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not sure what it its actually does, but in 'Music' mode the bass seemed tighter- less wallowy

25. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It'll swap the phase of the sub to be out of phase with the fronts. No idea what this means, but that's what it does!

26. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Fair enough - I'll give it a whirl tonight :thumbsup:

27. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To anyone still worried about bass levels on the 750:
    I've just upgraded to 3-cable braided cat5 and banana plugs...after picking myself up off my chair I'm absolutely stunned at the difference!

To anyone contemplating this, DO IT! It's well worth the time, this really is excellent cable...the difference in presence and clarity is eye-opening and has really brought the amp to life - much more weight in PD mode (and all others, I've turned the sub back down!).

Previously I had twin and earth mains cable - not great, but no worse than many "budget" cables...changing to cat5 I'm amazed at how much greater the bass response is in PD mode :thumbsup:

On top of the improved bass there really is a "wider" soundstage and voices are clearer than with the T&E.

If anyone has no idea what I'm talking about have a look for "cat5" in the cables forum.

28. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Interesting stuff Bob – I wonder how much difference I’d find moving from QED Silver Micro?

29. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm probably being a bit thick here but does raising the front level settings have a different effect to just raising the listening levels i.e. turning up the volume.

30. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems to - mine definitely sounds more bassy with the front levels up - and sounds weedy with them at negative values. It could all be subjective but many people seem to prefer the sound with +3-5dB on the fronts and centre.

What's yours at?

I'm no longer convinced the levels are different in PD and multi-channel modes though...some of them are just blank in PD mode.