Yakumo XL2 switching to 4:3

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TheNight, Apr 2, 2004.

1. TheNight

TheNight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Picked up my first DVD player, the Yakumo XL2. Seem unable to view my widesceen movies in 4:3 mode. Screen switching option doesn't appear to be doing anything.

Anybody else got one of these and is encountering the same problem? I don't know whether I am doing it wrong or whether the machine is faulty.

Regards

Steve

2. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you have a 4:3 screen with a 16:9 squeeze option, it may not respond automatically to the 16:9 switching signal. Then you'll either have to swap screen modes manually or set the player to 4:3 letterbox mode.

If you choose 4:3 Pan & Scan, the player will switch to letterbox mode unless there is panning information on the disc. Very few (if any) movies actually have this, so in practice Pan & Scan can be said not to exist.

If you wish to sacrifice the left and right edges of the picture to make it fill the 4:3 screen, check to see if the player has a zoom option that can be set to 1.33x. If it does, then set it to 4:3 letterbox and zoom in. :)

But if you have a 16:9 screen and you mean it stays in widescreen even when there is 4:3 material on the disc, I don't know exactly what causes the problem. I've seen that before though.

3. TheNight

TheNight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zacabeb,

Thanks for this. I have an ordinary and slightly oldish standard 4:3 TV. I'm going to print out your reply and play around again with it this weekend.

Steve