Yahoo Mail and intermittant hacking issues

clc.sheff

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Wasnt sure where to post this so I apologise if this is not the right place.

Basically every so often my Yahoo mail account gets hacked and everyone on my contacts list gets sent wierd spam type mail. I very rarely use my E-mail and this time it seems to have followed me trying to do something with Flikr on my laptop which I seem to remember has the same log in via Yahoo.

The devices I use are an Ipad2 and a laptop. I dont have my yahoo account continually open. I just log in every so often normally through the browser ( chrome on laptop )

My guess is it is something to do with using my laptop which I seem to remember using at similar times that I have got hacked.

The laptop has AVG free on it and some sort of free spyware software. I have ran a scan but nothing has come up.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here chaps? So far it is just my Email but I am obviously a little concerned about other accounts.

Thanks
Lee

Wasnt sure where to post this so I apologise if this is not the right place.

Basically every so often my Yahoo mail account gets hacked and everyone on my contacts list gets sent wierd spam type mail. I very rarely use my E-mail and this time it seems to have followed me trying to do something with Flikr on my laptop which I seem to remember has the same log in via Yahoo.

The devices I use are an Ipad2 and a laptop. I dont have my yahoo account continually open. I just log in every so often normally through the browser ( chrome on laptop )

My guess is it is something to do with using my laptop which I seem to remember using at similar times that I have got hacked.

The laptop has AVG free on it and some sort of free spyware software. I have ran a scan but nothing has come up.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here chaps? So far it is just my Email but I am obviously a little concerned about other accounts.

Thanks
Lee

One of mine got hacked yesterday, only noticed because I got an email from myself on another account. Checked my login history and I had logged in from Jordan, but I must have teleported there 10min earlier. Lots of friends have had this happen and not just yahoo accounts.

All I did was make an even stronger password. I don't know how they did it as I never leave my mail open (unless I'm on the computer at the time).

Maybe some geek :D can explain how they do it and the best precautions to take. :smashin::cool:

My wife had her Yahoo email hacked twice within about 6 months now. Worryingly after the first instance, I changed it to a really strong password (numbers, caps, special characters, the works), but it still managed to get hacked :confused:

I reckon the problem is with Yahoo tbh. I wouldn't be surprised if they've been hacked and someone has grabbed a load of passwords. I've never had this problem with Gmail, especially using the 2 step verification.

Just switched her to Gmail now and told her to close that stupid Yahoo one :D

Using the term 'hacked' here isn't technically correct - Yahoo have secure servers and hacking in to them would prove a tough challenge for the spammers. How they usually get details for these things is through phishing, where they get you to type your username + password in somewhere, sometimes a fake site, which sends it to them. There are also massive leaked lists of usernames + passwords when other sites have been 'hacked' or exploited.
The best thing to do if your account is compromised is to change the password, change the "recovery email" (the alternative email you can send password reset things etc to) and any security questions/answers.

Try to use a "secure password" and be careful where you enter your details.

My Yahoo email account was hacked a couple of months ago.

Unfortunately I couldn't change the password as I'd forgotten the 'memorable name' thingy.
This meant I couldn't log in at all, and contacting Yahoo proved impossible.

I read around and discovered Yahoo email hacking is common and decided to just dump the account and start again elsewhere.

I was unaware off this, I`ve just changed my Yahoo password for safe measure :)

Had this happen to me a few weeks ago.

I had assumed it was something to do with being logged in via mobile which is awkward to sign out from

Logged in from Poland

Had this happen too, a few months ago and also only noticed as I received a spam e-mail from my Yahoo account to my own work e-mail account.

There were log-ins from within Poland and Romania on mine!

Changed password and added the additional security that Yahoo offer (if a log in attempt is made from an unidentified IP address an additional security question is asked). Been fine since.

I am guessing these unauthorised log-ins are performed by bots and not actual humans sitting at computers, as there was a lot information in some of my folders that would have been many times more valuable than the action of sending links to dodgy websites.

Had this happen too, a few months ago and also only noticed as I received a spam e-mail from my Yahoo account to my own work e-mail account.

There were log-ins from within Poland and Romania on mine!

Changed password and added the additional security that Yahoo offer (if a log in attempt is made from an unidentified IP address an additional security question is asked). Been fine since.

I am guessing these unauthorised log-ins are performed by bots and not actual humans sitting at computers, as there was a lot information in some of my folders that would have been many times more valuable to the police than the action of sending links to dodgy websites.

Fixed that for ya fella :D:smashin:

Only joking ;)

I have had the same thing a couple months ago. Spam got sent to all my contacts. I have since changed my password and deleted my contacts. I don't use it to send email now so I don't need them.

I have had the same thing a couple months ago. Spam got sent to all my contacts. I have since changed my password and deleted my contacts. I don't use it to send email now so I don't need them.

The spam emails were sent to anyone I'd sent emails to, not my contacts...

Last edited:
Remove avg and any free software, install Microsoft security essentials, its better.

Sounds like a virus on the laptop or your password is easily cracked, start using numbers and symbols in the password.

Remove avg and any free software, install Microsoft security essentials, its better.

Sounds like a virus on the laptop or your password is easily cracked, start using numbers and symbols in the password.

Well in my case it happened on a Mac. I did quite a bit of reading about it at the time and, although I didn't really understand much of it, there seamed to be a general feeling that the fault lay squarely with Yahoo. Apparently they admitted a 'hole' which they fixed.... Except the fix didn't work so they ’fixed' it again, then again, and again.... to the point where it's now assumed they can't fix it.

Don't know if that's really true, but it made me go elsewhere.

I`ve relied on MSE ever downloading from a source we are not allowed to mention on here for years now and I`ve never had a problem yet bud :)

Just because MSE doesn't find anything doesn't mean you've never had a problem :D

All I'm saying is advising someone to remove an antivirus and replace it with one that is proven to be worse at detection and removal is a little strange.

I find the best protection is common sense.

Just because MSE doesn't find anything doesn't mean you've never had a problem :D

All I'm saying is advising someone to remove an antivirus and replace it with one that is proven to be worse at detection and removal is a little strange.

I find the best protection is common sense.
+1 on the common sence pal :)

All i`m saying really is I`ve never had a virus, or any scares with Windows 7 x64 for years..

Using Ccleaner every now and then helps keep thing running the way they should, or at least it seems to work for me :rolleyes:

I`m running a gaming PC that hardly ever is used for gaming, but has been bug free for quite some time now :smashin:

Aye, so in faireness you've not really used MSE.
The real test of the software comes when you have a problem, which is why the AV Test results are useful. Gives you an idea of what you can expect if you do end up with a problem. Personally I get friends/family on BitDefender Free and make sure they have MalwareBytes installed as well. Sometimes though a moment of confusion can still end up with a problem :D

In all fairness, I use MSE but no, i`m not daft enough to let a bug in..
95% or more bugs/viruses are let in because the user clicks yes or ok to allow themself in :rolleyes:

The best way to stop a bug is not to let them come onboard atall, I find MSE good enough for the rogue bugs that I can`t reject, for those who aint very computer savvy, i`m not sure what I`d recommend fella?

I enjoy building PC`s for myself and friends, i`m not qualified to advice folk to use the so called best proggy to keep them virus free :(

Malwarebytes is a cracking bit of kit, the only difference between paid and free is "Realtime Scanning"

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom