1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yahama related advice please!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by daveyp, Jan 3, 2003.

1. daveyp

daveyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone

I spent yesterday reading thru virtually every amp/receiver message and managed to get myself totally confused :D

At the moment I've got:
    • Samsung 709 DVD
    • Philips 28PW6006 W/S TV
    ...and, due to the cramped house I've been renting, I've been happy to just have the DVD hooked up to my stereo hi-fi separates.

However, I'm just in the process of buying a house with a nice spacious front room (woohoo!), so I'm planning to put together a cheapish first home cinema setup.

I don't need cutting edge stuff (e.g. 6:1 or THX) because I don't think my budget can run to that, so I've been looking at getting either a Yamaha DSPAX620 or RXV620RDS from Richer Sounds.

Apart from the the RXV620RDS having a receiver, are the two amps physically the same inside? I've already got a decent tuner, so I'd prefer to save the £50 difference and put it towards the speakers :)

For the speakers, I did look at the various Eltax packages that RS do, but I think I'd prefer to go two pairs of Mission ones - probably 702e's and/or 701's. Is it best to stick to two pairs of the same, or should I mix and match? If I mix, would the 702e's go at the front and the 701's at the rear?

Can anyone recommend a decent cheap centre speaker for around £75?

Because my budget is really only around £400-£450 for the amp and speakers, I guess I'll probably have to add a subwoofer at a later date - how much would you recommend I spend on one?

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give a newbie! :D

2. Just_Dabbling

Just_Dabbling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How funny !!!!

I personally have a Samsung 709 player and a Yamaha DSP-AX620 and apart from setting it up properly (my firends here on the forum are helping me with that) I am proper pleased, and as far as I could tell, the tuner is the only difference.

Have the money for speakers, or cables of course !

3. daveyp

daveyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool :)

I did a compare of the two on the RS web site and it looks like there are a few more differences:

RXV620RDS - has an optical output, 4 optical inputs, 4 audio inputs and 5 video inputs

DSPAX620 - has no optical output, 2 optical inputs, 5 audio inputs and 7 video inputs

But as long as they have the same circuitary and chipsets inside, then I think it'll be the cheaper DSPAX620 for me too!

JD - what kind of speaker cable did you go for? Looking at the RS web site, I'd be tempted to go for Gale XL 105 (69p/m) or XL 189 (99p/m). Also, what kind of interconnect did you use to connect the 709 to the amp?

4. Just_Dabbling

Just_Dabbling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    daveyp

I'm not at home at the moment so I can't check, but I am sure that the DSP-AX620 has an optical output, and more than 2 inputs, I'm not sure if that info is correct.

Here is the excerpt from the HCC hardware review on available connections.

Inputs: 9x analogue phono pairs; 5.1 external decoder array; 5x digital S/P-DIF inputs (1x coaxial electrical, 4x TOSlink optical); 5x S-video and 5x composite; 2x component/RGB. Outputs: 3x analogue phono pairs; 5.1 pre-output array; S/P-DIF TOSlink optical digital; 3x S-video and 3x composite; component/RGB; 10x main zone loudspeaker

I have used QED speaker cable (recommended by the shop I got it from).

I think it was about 1.50-2.00 a meter or something like that.

With the old 709 you ab bit limited on audio connectivity as only a coaxial connection exists, I think I payed about £30 for the cable I have, and that is a 5m cable.

Hope this all helps

Dabbling