1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yahama 2500 owners?How are you finding yours?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Damnyoureyes, May 12, 2005.

1. Damnyoureyes

Damnyoureyes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok some of us lucky people have had theirs for a bit now and wanted to know what they thought of it so far.

Mines been fantastic the sounds amazing it picks up so many new things i hadn't heard in things I was watching some movie the other day and I was convinced I had a mouse behind the sofa then as I looked my head was next to the speaker and heard the noise again....good job nobody was in the room to see that......bugga i've just told a few thousand now.

Remote good and had fun putting in the codes and learning new buttons etc thinking of wiring up the house so i can control it all (must see doctor about these meglomanic tendendacies) labels not lighting up is my biggest annoyance i think.

Starting to have a play with the little graphs and stuff but have absolutely no bloody idea what i'm doing so if there's any clever people that could point me in the direction of things to try.

Your thoughts and view??

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Yahama 2500 owners?How are you finding yours?
    Very good thanks, although i've stoped fiddling with changing the setting and just left it on the auto set up as it does actualy sound best to me. Theonly difficulty was it took me a while to find that there are different types of auto set up.

Works very well as a switch box, only component down to s-video would improve that.
    Sound is good, pure dirct is excellent, especuialy as you can hear an imediate difference between the modes.

Like the gui, although it does bump the price up by almost a £100, i like the graphs it produces and guides you through all settings very well. Only problem being the manual doesn't explain it very well and some stuff is not were you'd expect.

Sound quality is amazing, and the build in radio provides a very strong signal from the crappy piece of wire you get with the reciever.

I must say it does show some films up, i.e. the ocational bullet scenes on kill bill one sound amazing and in contrast those on batman the movie sound quite crap, almost muted and they don't have the same impact.

The surround modes for normal tv are very good, and i'm currently torn between dts neo and pl2x.

Altogether a very good amp which doesn't seem to run out of steam, even when the volume is very loud and in a large room.

I'd say best buy for £500-600 range (from germany).

3. Ambient Fish

Ambient Fish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    I own a 2400RDS and if the 2500RDS is an improved version of basically the same amp then the 2500 must by truely amazing, I love my 2400.

4. machinehead

machinehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    i am very happy with mine the best movies i have heard on it are master and commander and lotr.the cannons on master and commendar are stunning.the only gripe i have is with the learning remote.[guess i'll have to try harder]as for the receiver it's excellent.music is excellent as well.imho a great import from germany.no hassle delivering.

5. ninc0

ninc0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had my 2500 for about 5 months now and I have never looked back at my old A1. Shows how good it is as my old A1 was an excellent amp!

Sound is very good quality even when pushed really hard.

Now I am trying to convince my wife that a rear centre would really look good above the fireplace. :suicide:

6. stu mcc

stu mcc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    mine took a good few weeks to run in but once it had I was - and am - very happy with the sound; I demo'ed it against all the sub £1000 opposition and genuinely thought it outperformed all of them with my KEF Q series speakers although I don't use it for music at all, so I'd definitely give it a warm reccomendation.

stu

7. mateybloke

mateybloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I wish I could say that mine was working.

I'm having to return it for repair.The centre speaker output is distorted & lacking in power.

I've tried all manor of things to rectify it,different centre speaker,different cables,reset back to factory settings,turned off tone controls,reset EQ params.

The optimiser also fails saying that the centre speaker is out of phase.
    I've checked the polarity of the cables & even changed them

My DSP A1 sounds a lot better to me at the moment.

8. radicalrad

radicalrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine cost me £508 all in (see post elsware)and i love it especially since i dropped the sub on i'm new to this stuff and hanging that on was fantastic everthing sounded different.i really didnt think there would be that much difference its fantastic bit of kit.and for £508 well you cant go wrong.

9. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +227
    The fact that the YPAO says your centre is out of phase is not necessarily a fault. Some manufacturers do wire their speakers this way. There was an article on the Audioholics website some months ago about this.

However the other faults you mention are definately real problems that I hope get sorted out for you.

As for me, Im loving my 2500.

10. spuddler

spuddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi All,had my 2500 a bit & cannot find much wrong with it(my first proper amp/reciever thou).Pump's a fair bit of heat out thou,don't know if this is the norm for amp's/reciever's.Shame you cannot turn all the speaker's off in GUI,have to pull banana plug's out when setting up subwoofer with test tone's etc.Reciever ok and if your in a good reception area(and reasonable roof top TV aerial)use this for FM(instead of buying a seperate FM aerial) by using a diplexer splitter(got one from focus for £1.49),a lot of station's that were hard to recieve or rubbish reception are now excellent.I also bought a RF signal booster,to get better analogue TV signal(and reduce interference,caused by linking RF through device's) to DVD player etc(diplexer come's out of this,so this might help also).

Cheer's BOB

11. stu mcc

stu mcc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    has anybody noticed just how warm this machine gets? After about 15-20 minutes the top of mine is uncomfortable to hold your hand on.
    stu

12. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    IT does have a fan which will switch on automaticaly if the unit is getting too hot.

13. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    If mine had DVI or HDMI switching, I would have stopped looking at newer amps completely.

The only gripes are the buttons not named when backlit and not being able to use both precence and centre rear together

Top stuff for £510.00....top stuff for double that! :D

14. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One major gripe from me I'm afraid...it has 2 12v trigger switches at the back, yet you can't enable them!! :confused:
    I brought a powered screen auto uppy downy gizmo from Owl and can't use it 'cos you can't enable them.
    Other than that - not bad. Still (kinda) miss my Denon that I gave up for work related reasons. My first ever amp was a Yamaha (a 595 about 10 years ago...) and they certainly haven't lost their form...