YAFWDIY - Yet Another Floating Wall DIY.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by vindaloo, Oct 13, 2009.

1. vindaloo

vindaloo
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Using Google Sketchup to get a feel for shape and sizes... CutePDF to print to a pdf file...

http://www.cix.co.uk/~vindaloo/pics/TVwall5-100mm-2.pdf

Will take pics as I progress.

1700 x 1800 (HxW)
    89x38 framing
    12 or 15mm MDF facing (Wickes or Homebase)

Also ordered 2xBLOK AV100 light oak units to screen the mains leads etc and support my Satellite, PS3 etc...

Progress so far.... Bought 6 of 2.4M lengths of 89x38 CLS and stacked it in the lounge.

2. RowdenCO

RowdenCO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    A nice simple design. I just looked at those Blok's & they along with that wall should give you some really good clean lines. Get some pics up when you can, I'll be following. Have you thought about what colours you'll use for the floating wall and the feature wall behind it?

Move date eta 7 weeks, 1 week unpacking and then my project will begin.... :thumbsup:

3. vindaloo

vindaloo
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Started cutting the framing...

Still up for grabs is how do I attach the frame to the wall? I'm building the frame in a studwork, style, i.e. 89mm deep. This seems a tad long to be drilling holes through to attach to the wall. Wall is block, so is relatively sturdy.

The frame will stand on the floor, so fixings don't need to be that sturdy. And the TV bracket is directly attached to the wall anyway.

J.

4. RowdenCO

RowdenCO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    3 fixings per "stud" would probably do it if its not supporting TV. Top/Middle/Bottom. Best thing would be to drill the studs with a flat bit 2/3 of the way through. Then screw through the remaining wood into fixings in the wall

Bosch Flat Drill Bit 2609255338 22mm, 3165140411530

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9280538&fh_reftheme=promo_159030093,seeall,//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C{9372015}/categories%3C{9372044}/categories%3C{9372213}/specificationsProductType%3dinterior_wood_screws&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C{9372015}/categories%3C{9372044}/categories%3C{9372213}/specificationsProductType%3dinterior_wood_screws/specificationsSpecificProductType%3dcountersunk_cross_head_woodscrews&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=lister&ts=1255543682393&isSearch=false

The link is for an example of a flat drill but, not that I recommend that particular one, its bloody expensive for some reason, same with the screw.

If my explanation was a bit rubbish here's a picture

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/8563/wallfixing.jpg

5. vindaloo

vindaloo
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Looks like a reasonable plan to me. I've got the auger bits and screws lying around somewhere so additional expense should be minimal.

Cheers,

J.

6. RowdenCO

RowdenCO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thats alright, glad to be of service. :thumbsup: Good luck with your build.

7. vindaloo

vindaloo
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Progress...

Started building framework. Then started cutting holes etc. Patio now resembles a joinery works where they've lost the sweeper upper and his broom. [​IMG]

The timber's been lying around in the lounge for a week and has decided to warp in various ways. I had hoped that CLS would be more stable but maybe it's just that I'm crap at storing timber. They all looked straight and laid flat when I bought them.[​IMG]

This is where it's got to so far.

Various holes and slots made for cables and cooling. Piece just above the telly needs more holes or slots wider out. I haven't done them yet as I want to cut and fit the remaining framing around the telly and the battening where the panels will join.
    [​IMG]

6'x2' MDF positioned for effect only. It'll lose about 4" from its top edge before fitting to avoid looking too top heavy.
    [​IMG]

Overall, the frame is held together by 65mm and 90mm screws and attached to the wall with 90mm no 10 or no 12 screws.

Cheers,

J.

8. vindaloo

vindaloo
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Finished the framing. Added a few extra cooling holes above and below the telly. Though it's been run with the frame in place for several hours without getting hot.

Battens added to support MDF joints above the telly, and below (not shown). And to support the MDF either side of the telly.
    [​IMG]

Sheeting cut more or less to shape and offered up.
    [​IMG]

Sheeting cut to final size and fitted.
    [​IMG]

MDF needs countersinking and screwing down properly. Then the lot needs filling, including the framing on the LHS as you look at it. As the lounge door sits just out of shot to the left. Then I can paint it. :)

J.

9. alchemistkevin

alchemistkevin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
  10. RowdenCO

RowdenCO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Looking good :thumbsup:

How did you attach the studds to the wall in the end? anything like the way I suggested?

Keep up the good work, your effort will pay off in the end :cool:

30 days ETA for house move :) and then work on project floaty wall will begin, and hopefully I'll bring something a little different to the playground.

11. vindaloo

vindaloo
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Brown rawlplugs and no10 or no12 x 90mm screws. The wall is <ahem> crap, there's 15mm+ of plaster in some places and its very wavey.

I used a 16mm flat wood bit and left about 25-30mm blind, then drilled 6.5mm holes in from the 'back' to meet them. So there's a good 50mm+ of screw in the wall.

There are nine major fixings. Top and bottom of the end studs, then one in the middle of each horizontal rail and a couple of extras at the end of the top rail. 2 extra fixings holding the ends of mini-studs under the TV which would otherwise be loose.

J.

12. RowdenCO

RowdenCO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    sounds secure enough :) let us know how it goes with the rest of the work :thumbsup:

13. vindaloo

vindaloo
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Some paint added....

[​IMG]

I didn't photo the filling and sanding stage. I used wood filler to fill the countersinks and any slight gaps between the MDF sheets.

Then a coat of primer/undercoat. Then a coat of emulsion.

It's currently looking slightly light compared to the wall, so another coat of emulsion will be required. If that doesn't work I may decide to contrast rather than blend. :)

J.

14. RowdenCO

RowdenCO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    contrast it, tho it does look quite good how it is.

15. vindaloo

vindaloo
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The end(ish) result....

If I did it again, I'd use wider panels in the middle (900s vs 600s), so the FW would end up wider than the units. The units themselves are low, but not THAT low. I'd mount the TV 4"-6" higher. As I used Sketchup to give a feel for the proportions of things, it should have occurred to me to make a couple of box shapes to represent the BLOKs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  16. RowdenCO

RowdenCO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    It looks really good, I see you've noted what you would have done differently. I hope your not too disappointed. Well done sir.:thumbsup:

17. vindaloo

vindaloo
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not disappointed, it's all a learning experience. Having sat on my behind for a number of years it's refreshing to exercise the grey cells (the few that remain) and gain an appreciation of the effort that goes into producing something like this...

It has highlighted that the wall should receive at least another coat of paint though... Curses....

J.