1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ya Parasound/Arcam/Integrated question

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Gwynne, May 31, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Gwynne

Gwynne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, here we go round the upgrade circle again.

Exisiting setup is as the sig; it's time to update. Apart from my Sony I know an old Acram 10 (with DAVE) very well & it's far better than my system. So, that's my minimum target. It's about 70% home cinema and the rest music. I'm investing in my first DVD-audios this week too, so most of the music will be good ol' stereo.

So: I really like the look of the Arcam AV8/P7 but the tales of Rag's Parasound have been a significant distraction, especially given that a C2/A52 is under £3.5k (although I'd prefer an A51). Is this a reasonable place to start? If it's not heresy in this forum, there are some pretty good intergrated amps at the £3k mark these days too. I suppose my big question is what will the speakers take?

Big problem: I'm in Cyprus, so auditioning is going to to be bloomin' difficult. Yamaha and Arcam are represented on-island, but that's about it.

Have you noticed I only post when I want something? Take, take, take...

2. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Your wasting everyones time - go get the Parasound and sit back with immense satisfaction :D.

Although the A51 is significantly more powerful than the A51 the offer your talking about for the C2 and exdem A52 is a cracker. No integrated will even come close. Get ready to be assimilated....

3. Gwynne

Gwynne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Everywhere I look I find posts from you (htguide.com; ******.co.uk) - do you ever actually listen to your stuff? :)

I think I'm set on the C2; now my decisions are:

• Whether to go for A51 or A52; it's a fair price difference;
    • Where to buy - UK appears out of A51s in any case; the prices in the US are significantly cheaper
    • getting the things to Cyprus - postage weight is 50kg!

There are good deals at http://www.audioadvisor.com, but I gather the Power amps need some sort of conversion. I'm not too fussed about a US purchase, especially when the guarantee is 2yr in UK but 10 Yr in US. It's worth the risk of return postage for that!

Gwynne

4. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [Your wasting everyones time - go get the Arcam AV8/P7 and sit back with immense satisfaction :D.
    ....[/QUOTE]

Sorry Rags I couldn't miss the opportunity :devil:

Seriously Gwynne the pre/pros are the way to go, the Parasound or the Arcam or a number of other high end pre/pros are fantastic.............have a listen to them to let your own ears decide.

John

5. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I know. But dont despair your Arcam combo could come in handy if you decide to get some KEF Eggs etc for the bedroom.

6. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Im an FMJ advocate, with the AV8/P7 and i love it to bits.... but, I've heard Rags parasound setup, and it was very impressive. TBH, both of these setups are fantastic.... you wont be disappointed. Audition is Key though really - you may find one is a little brighter than the other, and you will have a preference. Saying that, if you can get the parasound at 3.5k thats got to be tempting ;)

Good luck !

7. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rags you're such a bitch ;)

8. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Kevshed - you heard my C2/A51 combo - the £3.5k deal is for the C2 together with an A52.

However I am pretty sure that the A52 will be more than sufficient to drive Gwynne's MA's - quoted figures for the A52 are 125 RMS @ 8 ohms and 225 RMS @ 4 ohms & 30 amperes peak current capacity per channel - the Arcam P7 is 160 RMS @ 4 ohms, 230 RMS @ 4 ohms & 22 amperes per channel. In terms of power etc the A51 is in another league from the P7 and A52.

9. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Cheers mate. If you need any further advice don't hesitate to send me a PM.

10. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :laugh: :devil:

11. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gwynne

I would try to listen to the combination you are looking at with both the A51 and A52.

I went through a sequence of parasound power amp upgrades from the smaller 855 to the 1205 to the 2205. At each step the sound improved significantly. It's not just the power/current delivery. FYI I went through this with Monitor Audio Silver 9i/12i/FXi :)

I have not heard the A51 or the A52 but based on my experience with the 1205 and the 2205 I would say it's worth comparing them if you can.

Parasound make great amps so I'm sure you'll be happy with the result which ever you go with. Have fun....

Gary

12. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    ive just bought the a51 and the c2 and a23 and they sound great i found a very good deal
    i have a link to a company that i just used and the service is awsome and they are having a very big shipment (soon)of c2 and parasound amps ,at awsome prices .if you private message me ill give you the link and the name of the man you need to speak to ,you wont get a better deal in the uk ,trust me i looked around for 5 weeks .i also went through the idea if shipping one over from the use but after all the tax and if i had a problem with it i went against it .
    i went and listened to the lexicon with the lx7 and the c2 with the a51 and tag all in the same room ( im lucky my friend works for a well known hifi company)
    and i chose the c2. the sound was great it left the lexicon standing ( dont want to start any fight with lexicon owners ) :)
    you mad the right choice :clap:

13. Gwynne

Gwynne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all replies - I have placed an order for C2/A52 and black rhodium balanced XLR cables for under £3.5k including delivery to sunny Cyprus. More will be posted after arrival next week.

Now the bad news - my little boy has pushed in the cone of my Monitor Audio ASW 100 Subwoofer; so it's over to the Subs section to start the game all over again...

14. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I want a C1 and an A51, Shniff, but I'm saving for a home cinema room first, should be built next yr, then, hopefully, I can get myself set up with some funky Parasound gear.............unless some VERY kind person is willing to just give me the stuff for erm, free? :)

15. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    More chance of winning the lottery !!