1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ya Boo...My Z4 has landed...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by slartyb, Oct 8, 2005.

1. slartyb

slartyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to great service from Ivojo my Z4 has arrived with me today as promised. :thumbsup:

I'm a complete projector newbie, but first impressions are positive. I've only tried it out against a cream wall at the moment but image quality looked great. Hopefully I'll get my screen (231cms wide) up tomorrow as long as the fixings I've put up for it this evening appear secure.

I'm driving the proj. from a Denon 1920 using HDMI. The projector itself seems to be well built and the powered lens cover is a well snazzy addition - it was this kind of attention to protecting the optics and practicality which swung me from bothering to wait for the Panny to come out. No dead pixels or bad behaviour has emerged yet.

Looking forward to tweaking the setup over the next few days - unfortunately got a busy social weekend, but will be sneaking as much time with my new baby as possible. :D

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Congrats on the new PJ.

You took your time making your first post........Dec '03 > Oct '05 :eek: . That's quite a bit of lurking :D .

Welcome anyway & best of luck with it. Let us know how it goes....

:smoke:

3. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Excellent! My supplier is saying end of month. :confused:

Stuff the social agenda.

Where you get it from?

4. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    :clap:

5. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    shows how much i read posts ...

6. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    ROne, I'm sure alot of people here are eagerly waiting your receiving the Z4

Congrats slartyb on your new purchase, enjoy :thumbsup:

Yours, green with envy, Conor

7. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Rone, I can't believe you are leaving us Z3 owners, what are we going to do for settings now?

8. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Ginger & Comer, I defo feel the Z3 is as it's limit for me. I can't imagine there would be anymore tweaks to make that would make much more improvement, I have best combination of contrast and color balance, the machine has been great without trouble or dustblobs or any of that crap.

TBH I am having second thoughts 'cos I am happy with it really, and I don't think the Z4 will be that much better but due to me getting a good price for Z3, then it has to be done.

I'm sure most of the tweaks from the z3 will move onto the z4.

Just watched kingdom of heaven, film was pretty bad, but quality was good, if fact I struggle to criticise it.

Though for real z3 experience you should see HDTV films. Fantastic.

Rest assured, one of the first things I will do is say how much better I think the z4 is than the Z3 (if at all!) - I would imagine people would like to know that.

9. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I am quite tempted by the Z4 and if I can get a good price for my Z3 than perhaps I will go for it. But I must admit that I'm waiting for your opinion of it first. A good improvement in black levels and if the panels gave a contrast level aproaching anything above 1800:1 without the auto iris would probably do it for me.

When I said " ROne, I'm sure alot of people here are eagerly waiting your receiving the Z4" I was really just talking about myself :blush:

10. wallzy

wallzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    my z4 came yesterday was really impressed with the picture quality im still setting mine up but still overly impressed

wallzy

11. slartyb

slartyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to go for a Z3 if there were any going for around £800. In the end I was easily swung when Ivojo said they hadn't got any Z3's left. One other thing in the Z4's favour is it's broader throw to screen size range. I would have been right on the edge of what a Z3 could do for me (throw > 4metres to 231cm screen).

It's going well and 'er indoors seems smitten (v.important for a quiet life), despite the rats nest of cables on the floor. Wants to watch West Wing on it tonight...

I'm getting sorted a bit at a time, got the screen up Ok - from DRH, pretty good - has a slight reluctance to retract on demand.

I am looking forward to setup tips frmo ROne as well. Also anyone who can compare HDMI and Component - I've only got a 10m HDM cable at the moment - what are you using Wallzy ?

Next up I'll be looking for a ceiling mount - like the look of the Vogels, anyone got experience of it. I assume you screw/bolt it to a joist - does the whole tube go through the ceiling boards or just the bolts ???

12. EdR

EdR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just bought a Vogel mount this week, as it happens - was the short stem one (about 10cm drop). Seems pretty good, although it didn't come with any M6 bolts to fit my Z1, so I had to get some appropriate bolts and washers so that it fitted ok - not sure what size the Z4 uses? All it needs is 2 screws into the joists (oriented front to back along the joist, not side to side, so plan your joists well!) therefore the cables need to be run separately

13. wallzy

wallzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    im using component also i have it mounted on a shelf i prefered that to a ceilng mount cost a bit lest aswel