Question Y U crash?

sergiup

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's starting to feel like a meme.

So, a few months ago I upgraded to the below; initially I'd overclocked the RAM to 3600MHz using ThaiphoonBurner and Ryzen DRAM Calculator; all seemed fine, but I started getting random crash/reboots with no errors etc, sometimes not at all, sometimes once a day, other times 2-3 times a day regardless of room temperature (it's been hot recently, didn't seem to make much of a difference). I re-seated the RAM, checked temperatures (they're fine), ran Prime95 for a few hours (it was fine, under ~80C in Prime95, less in normal use), ran memtest86 for a couple of passes (it was fine), yet it still rebooted occasionally. I rolled the RAM and pretty much any BIOS performance settings to stock (except loading an XMP profile at 3200MHz and setting the voltage to 1.35v as per RAM spec), it's still crashing.

Annoyingly, it's not crashing under stress or under load, just randomly - sometimes when I'm just sitting reading something, other times in the middle of a not-very-taxing game, etc.
I'm somewhat at wits' end, and I'm half tempted to change the PSU as I'm running out of ideas... Help..! :facepalm:

Ryzen 5 3600 w/ Noctua NH-D15 (not overclocked)
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max (latest BIOS... I can't remember, this may have started when I upgraded the BIOS to 7C02v36? There's 7C02v37 available now, might try that and clear the BIOS)
4x 8GB 3200MHz Crucial (AES product code, CL16)
Sapphire Radeon RX VEGA 56 Pulse
750W Seasonic Focus Gold PSU
Plenty of fans inside a Fractal Design Define R5
(less relevant: Adata XPG8200 Pro 2TB, Crucial MX300 750GB, SanDisk Ultra II SSD 960 GB)

Thank you..!

Have you downloaded whocrashed?
Are you getting a BSOD?

Have you downloaded whocrashed?
Are you getting a BSOD?

I didn't even know that software existed.. thank you!
No BSOD, just a brief hang, followed by white or grey screen and it reboots itself. It's not making it easy.
I've updated the BIOS to v37 which pretty much resets the BIOS anyway, I'll see how it goes at default for a couple of days.

I would try a clean install of your display drivers as well using DDU.

I would try a clean install of your display drivers as well using DDU.

Thanks, will do - there'll probably be a new Catalyst out soon anyway.
I ran whocrashed and it didn't find any crash dumps, so it looks like a pretty severe reboot cause.

I'd run memtest86 overnight as a couple of passes won't detect most problems. Had similar issues with crashes when I built my rig and it turned out to be faulty RAM.

I'd run memtest86 overnight as a couple of passes won't detect most problems. Had similar issues with crashes when I built my rig and it turned out to be faulty RAM.
I haven't gotten around to this yet - I had it running on default RAM timings for a while and it seemed fine, until it spontaneously rebooted again tonight. Time to try that...

Ran memtest86 overnight, no apparent faults; machine crashed mid-game last night though. Wondering if I should start suspecting the PSU or motherboard.

Attachments

• IMG_20200723_090909.jpg
    IMG_20200723_090909.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 51
Is there anything in the event logs when it does this?

Is there anything in the event logs when it does this?

Nope, absolutely nothing. Whocrashed shows nothing (as above). This is why it's proving a bit difficult to troubleshoot...

It's getting silly again - it's been fine for about a week, then crashed out of the blue last night. I ran memtest86 overnight (a good 7-8 hours) and nothing came up.
Not sure what I can actually try now...
- motherboard was bought from Amazon so they may exchange or refund fairly easily
- PSU was from Scan but way back in June 2019, so that'll most likely be with Seasonic now (10Y warranty)
- CPU was from Currys (though I'm guessing it's unlikely to be that)
- GPU was from OcUK back in May 2019 so it's still under the 2Y warranty, but I doubt it's this (need to test somehow I guess... Firestrike Stress test and/or FurMark?)

Do you have a new PSU to try?

I have an old PSU to try, I think it's a Corsair 650W TX-M. It's going to be a hassle to swap it over, but I guess I should.

I swapped in the old PSU, so far it's been okay.
But, I realised something (slightly embarrassing)... I had both 8-pin power connectors on the GPU wired from the same cable from the PSU. I have an inkling that might be causing a problem, but I'm not sure. Strange since the crashes wouldn't happen at peak GPU load at all...

I also found out that the Seasonic FX range has potential issues with Vega's transient power requirements...:

So, that's fun. I'll try it again, and if it's still showing issues I'll RMA the PSU, with a very stern note :devil:

I've returned the Seasonic to Scan, it's EOL (in its old guise) so they've refunded me and now I'm going PSU shopping again.. although the Corsair 650W TX-M seems to be holding up fine, so I'm not entirely convinced I should be looking for a new one yet.

I've returned the Seasonic to Scan, it's EOL (in its old guise) so they've refunded me and now I'm going PSU shopping again.. although the Corsair 650W TX-M seems to be holding up fine, so I'm not entirely convinced I should be looking for a new one yet.

Always good to have a backup incase it happens again, if you have further issues you won't have any spare PSU's to test with :D

Always good to have a backup incase it happens again, if you have further issues you won't have any spare PSU's to test with :D

Wise words... :D Corsair HX 850W? Fully modular, single / multi rail switchable (can't really think why I'd have a use for that though), 10Y warranty, should be enough even for an RTX 3080 or 6800XT; seems like a decent choice, if a bit expensive.

Wise words... :D Corsair HX 850W? Fully modular, single / multi rail switchable (can't really think why I'd have a use for that though), 10Y warranty, should be enough even for an RTX 3080 or 6800XT; seems like a decent choice, if a bit expensive.
Probably overkill for single GPU but as my man bert says

Oh ff....
PSU changed for an RM850X, CPU and RAM left at stock (just with the 3600MHz default settings on the RAM), no other overclocking or anything. And yet, it still occasionally just reboots, no windows logs, nothing. Starting to get a bit annoyed now, not sure what else to try.
Even though I've tested the RAM overnight before, I do have some spares that I might swap in, just in case. Any other ideas, please...?

I had a similar problem with random restarts recently. At first i thought it was the games I was playing being buggy. I did most of the things you have done to no avail. The one thing I did do that seemed to have stopped the issue was swapping the ram sticks around.
Good luck

Had same issue with a similar spec new build during first lockdown. Ryzen 5 3600 non X, MSI Mortar Max B450 and 16gb @3200mhz XMP profile.

Bought 3 different ram kits as everything was suggesting it was the issue but same problem, random reboots or BSOD even during light load, sometimes even during boot up, suspected M/B was bad so returned it.

Got feedback from CCLonline that they tested the M/B and found no issues so I returned the CPU to Amazon and bought another one from CCL and changed up to a Tomahawk B450. Put it together and it hasn't missed a beat since April.

Its apparently very rare to get a bad CPU but I'm convinced it was the cause of my issues, the whocrashedit programs were no help in my case either.

I had a similar problem with random restarts recently. At first i thought it was the games I was playing being buggy. I did most of the things you have done to no avail. The one thing I did do that seemed to have stopped the issue was swapping the ram sticks around.
Good luck
Had same issue with a similar spec new build during first lockdown. Ryzen 5 3600 non X, MSI Mortar Max B450 and 16gb @3200mhz XMP profile.

Bought 3 different ram kits as everything was suggesting it was the issue but same problem, random reboots or BSOD even during light load, sometimes even during boot up, suspected M/B was bad so returned it.

Got feedback from CCLonline that they tested the M/B and found no issues so I returned the CPU to Amazon and bought another one from CCL and changed up to a Tomahawk B450. Put it together and it hasn't missed a beat since April.

Its apparently very rare to get a bad CPU but I'm convinced it was the cause of my issues, the whocrashedit programs were no help in my case either.

Thanks folks!
I've already changed motherboard (from a Tomahawk B450 MAX to an Asus X570 that I got quite cheap during Black Friday), PSU already changed as above (Seasonic known to have potential issues with Vega cards), BIOS has been upgraded a couple of times already (including full reset each time), I've even cleaned and re-fitted the CPU cooler (did result in a few degrees drop).
Next step is swapping the RAM even though overnight tests show no issues, if that doesn't fix it then the only other thing I can try is swapping the CPU - I bought it from Curry's via ebay, so let's see how that goes..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom