1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

y-splitter for Velo CHT-15

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by RichardM, Oct 29, 2002.

1. RichardM

RichardM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have any of you recent happy CHT-15 owners who have connected via low level used a Y spitter for the input on the sub, and if so have you noticed any difference in performance.

I am aware that this is to prevent the sub going into 'sleep' mode during quieter scenes when in auto mode, however, I think I noticed somewhere a mention that this also improved the response time of the sub, is this right or have I got it wrong again!:(

If this is a worthwhile investment (though it's hard to beleive how I could improve the sound of this great sub) what is a good splitter to use and where is a good place to buy.

I tried my local store yesterday and the guy convinced me that I did not need to use this, you'd think he would want my money!:eek: :D

thanks for any help guys.:)

P.S. Here's another silly question. What is the Audio/Video switch at the back of the sub for, I never had one of these on my old rel q200e, I really hope this is not a daft question.:blush:

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Richard,

I just have mine connected via a single lead, sub is left on all the time, to me a 'Y' splitter will be of no benefit at all. The auto on/off should never be used, sub will end up nodding and you could miss fragments of the soundtrack.

The improvement in response time is related only to the sub picking up the signals at lower volumes with the splitter in auto mode, using the two line level inputs IMO will not improve the subs response time when the sub is normally used out of auto mode.
    The guy in your local store sounds to be giving good advice, most would have sold you a tacky lead whether you needed it or not, then sent you on your way, sounds like a decent guy/store.

Audio/Video, think this is for music and movies, I have mine set on audio, Jase did mention this a while ago but I can't find the thread. I think when Video is selected it increases certain frequencies by about 3db.

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Who's your local store, I was at Chesam High School, not aware of any decent Hifi shops in or very near Chesham.

As for the 2nd question bit, there is a manual.;)

4. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree, there are those too lazy to look in the manual, but in this case the manual has no mention of the Audio/Video switch. ;)

5. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'm suprised Uncle didn't send out an additon to it saying what it did.:D

6. RichardM

RichardM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply bob, think I'll save myself a few quid then.;)

Retro, I was refering to a store local to where I work in Aylesbury (Northwood Audio), The guy in there does seem to know his onions. However, you are quite right there are no decent Hi-Fi stores in Chesham, or any decent stores come to think of it.:D
    And as Bob mentioned, the Audio/video swith is not mentioned in the manual.:p :D

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    The Audio/Video switch boosts output by about 3/4db when set to Video. Seems to be for certain frequencies from what I can make out (50-60hz??).

8. DavidGT

DavidGT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richard,

Some subs have their internal amp bridged so a single would be ok.
    But in Velo's case it's different. I spoke to tech support at Velo in Arizona and he said to use a "Y" adapter going into the sub. And this is for my SPL 1000 so I would assume the same for your CHT.
    In case you're wondering, yes the SPL 1000 is beyond awesome is all I can say. That thing is amazing and is oh so small! 12" cube.
    Enjoy

9. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Richard,
    All that happens when using a Y splitter is that signal sensitivity is altered whereby the unit will basiclly see "more" of the signal at the input levels hence will avoid turn off at a lower signal level during the auto on mode.

Many American high end subwoofer makers include this auto switching facility which, no matter what, gets caught out from time to time. Thank god Velodyne had the intelligence to let us by pass this silly feature.

David,
    I'm not normally a big fan of tiny subs but I have to say that the pair of little SPL's on demo by the UK Velodyne distributers at the Scottish show last week caused quite a stir. 750 watts of servo power each should indeed be taken very seriously.

Jase, Bob
    Ready for a pair yet :D

10. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my CHT-15 connected via a single line level, is there anyway of confirming whether the amp is bridged in this model or not? TIA

If it's not bridged then I'm going to get me a 'Y' splitter, coz if what I have been listening to is only half it's power then :eek:

Why, was it BOGOF. :D