1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Y connector

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Miller, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Miller

Miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a mission 6 pack for some time now. I needed to move the subwoofer (70ASE) requiring a longer cable. The 70ASE has two phono connectors (red & white). My Yamaha amp has a single RCA output for a subwoofer.

I purchased a 10m profigold RCA-RCA subwoofer interconnect. The shop where I purchased it, said that at the sub end, I should just plug the cable into one of the phono sockets. They said because the signal is mono, I didn't need to connect to both sockets on the sub. The mission owner's manual says different, and provides a Y connector. I don't want to use this connector, because it is not, shall we say, as good quality as the lead I have just bought.

When I contacted Mission, their advice was to use the Y connector.

I have set up the sub both ways, and not sure if there is a noticable difference.

Can anybody advise me of the best way of connecting my sub?

2. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The reason that it is recommended to use a Y splitter and connect both is that when a sub has auto on/off it will be later to shut on when you're playing a low signal when only connected to one.
    If you're sub has the possibility to be on all the time, there is no need for a splitter.

It will be the same sound anywhay, but if you have problems with that the sub turns on late, you should use a y-splitter.

There is no problem getting a better quality y-splitter at a hifistore.

Hope this was of some help.
    Hans

3. Kronin

Kronin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Miller,

I too was faced with the same problem recently after having just bought the 6 pack. I was advised to just buy a RCA>RCA cable and connect it to either one of the phono connections and skip using the y splitter. As it turned out the cable was out of stock (an IXOS something or other), and seen as I was desperate to get it all up and running before Christmas I just bought an el-cheapo cable from hifistore for £6 ( http://www.hifistore.co.uk/product.php?qsProd=AUL024 ).

Its 1 > 2 phono and 5 metres long, does the job - there seems to be conflicting opinions on whether splashing out on a top quality sub cable is actually worth it anyway :confused:

If you look at the other sub cables at hifistore you'll see they do posh(ish) IXOS ones there aswell - but it looks like theyre actually made up of a RCA>RCA cable and a seperate y splitter, so maybe you could enquire about just buying the splitter (bound to be better quality than the one Mission provided).

Hope this helps some :)

4. Miller

Miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help guys.