xxPX70 Service Menu Revealed

mseabroo

Established Member
Reaction score
Well there had been a lot of speculation following the release of the PX70 range that the service menu could only be reached via a Panny Service Remote. Mainly as the method ofr gaining access that worked on the PX60's and older models no longer functioned, despite still being valid for the US models.

While I can't claim credit for finding the solution (it was pointed out by mat060572 in the Panasonic Viera 37" TH-37PX70" thread via a link that is no ponger working) I thought it deserved a thread of it's own to highlight.

I'm sure there are many out there like myself who are curious and wanted to know exactly how many hours they had racked up.

So here Goes:

Open the front flap:
Hold down the V- Key while pressing "0" on the remote three times in quick succession

And hey presto the first service menu screen should pop up within a couple of seconds.
To exit I just turned off the TV then back on again, all previous settings were retained but then I did not alter anything, just checked the SW versions and hours etc. :clap: :thumbsup: :smashin:

Hope thats helpful to a lot of you. Also, I guess this now opens up the possibility of having proper ISF level calibration done for the PX70 range

Great stuff... . wonder if this method also works on the PZ700?

Any brave soul going to try!? :smashin:

z

Great stuff... . wonder if this method also works on the PZ700?

Any brave soul going to try!? :smashin:

z

Only had a quick chance to try the access and read of software versions hours etc but had the kids nagging to watch cartoons.
I'll have more of a play about tonight and see what I can find.

I'm hoping that most of the navigation is similar to the previouse PX60 versions etc

Useful, thanks esp for hours, but you don't seem to be able to do anything with it once you're in.

Tried multiple key press's but nothing to take you to the sub-menu's on the left.

To exit you don't need to turn TV off, just press exit on remote.

There is another sort of menu which is a self checking diagnostics readout which did the rounds a month or so. To get this, do exactly the same as for the service menu but substitute the 'i' (info) button on the remote instead of the '0'. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

BE AWARE THAT ENTERING THIS MENU ALSO RE-SETS ALL YOUR TV SETTINGS TO FACTORY DEFAULT ON EXITING IT.

For the first menu (entered using the 0 key) sub menus can be selected by pressing the red teletext key, which then brings up a new screen, where values can be changed.

Sub menus can be selected by using the number keys "prompted in a seperate text window, as well as a save option".
Not absolutely certain though which of the sub menus that were listed on the entry screen these relate to though

Some of the settings look like you dont want to chaneg them unless you really know what your doing. Using the exit key wont return you out of these menu's so the set has to be powered off.

Not sure how much exploration i really want to do in these, without some guidance.

What happened to the previous thread on this? People there were adjusting the red green blue colour balance, etc.

319 hours into mine.

Could've sworn I'd used it more :D

Doesn't seem to work with 42PV70. Anyone know how to get into the service menu?

What happened to the previous thread on this? People there were adjusting the red green blue colour balance, etc.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529895

This is the thread with some brave guys having a play in the service menu.

Apparently you can also adjust pixel mapping. Apparently (again) the 37PX70 has quite a bit of overscan. (don't understand anything I just typed then :confused: ).

It did on mine when tested on SkyHD Test Card.

Hope thats helpful to a lot of you. Also, I guess this now opens up the possibility of having proper ISF level calibration done for the PX70 range

Has anyone had a PX70 ISF calibrated?

Nearest to it I have read about was without service menu use on the HDTVTest review.

So has anyone been in the menu for a play?

All I adjusted was the overscan, reduced H and V amplitude to -3 on both.

So did I and it went perfectly well. Now overscan is about 1-2% :smashin:

But keep in mind you would have to do it for all possible HDMI-settings (480p, 576p, 720p...). And it doesn't seem to work on RGB-signals. Don't have component signals to check.

Do you recommend doing this?

What does it actually achieve?

In basic terms a 37" panny out the box is like having a 40" screen with 3" outside the viewing area, by reducing the overscan you are reducing the screen size so you get a sharper image.
Think of it like going from a 37 to 42" screen, the 37" always looks sharper, or switch between wide mode and zoom mode, wide always looks sharper as you are not zooming the image as much, same thing.

But how do you adjust the overscan? Overscan bugs me but I don't dare to mess around in the service menu... I'm too much of a noob to attempt anything like that. But if you could provide me (and anybody else who might be interested in it) with a short guide or something I'd be very grateful! Of course, if there's a chance of my messing up the tv I won't try it...

It tells you how to do it in the menu that comes up, move through the various sections using 1 and 2, then navigate that section using 3 and 4, make adjustments with the Vol + and - button and the press ENTER to store those adjustments.

You need to find the section with sub bright, sub colour, sub contrast etc. and adjust Horizontal AMPlitude, and Vertical AMPlitude. As soon as you adjust to -3 press store before moving on, if you move onto the next bit without storing first it reverts back to where it was before adjustment.

That was easy! Thank you:D

Will accessing the service menu be recorded and void the warranty?

In basic terms a 37" panny out the box is like having a 40" screen with 3" outside the viewing area, by reducing the overscan you are reducing the screen size so you get a sharper image.
Think of it like going from a 37 to 42" screen, the 37" always looks sharper, or switch between wide mode and zoom mode, wide always looks sharper as you are not zooming the image as much, same thing.

Thanks for that. That is what I thought it would do but I am surprised why they do not do this as default.

It sounds like it will be worth doing if it will sharpen the image.

So have you done it - are you happy with the results :smashin:

After I changed the settings I watched a bit of "A Nigt at the Roxbury" on a crappy no-name player (my Pio 696 decided to act strange so it's being repaired... sucks!), which I have connected to the AV1 port and while the overscan was better it was still there. Is it possibe to remove the overscan completely? I use the tv for dvd (SD) and gaming exclusively. But to answer your question, yeah, I'm happier but not totally happy as I would like the overscan to disappear completely. Can I just lower H and V Amp further? Is there a chance that it may ruin the set or something?

It only goes to -3, and to be honest this is probably as low as you want, some channels you can now see slight borders on.

3% overscan is a good thing for most sources.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom