xxls400 or svs12-nsd

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by devbias, Aug 23, 2013.

1. devbias

devbias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Sorry to raise a question that has been covered before on 2 subs which have both been reviewed here on AVforums but given that the price is the same now between the 2 (high gloss black) it gives reason to draw a direct trade off not offset by cost.

I know the BK is going to have a lot of supporters on here and I don't think BK would of enjoyed as many OEM sales as they have without AVforums :smashin:

Would like to read the views of users who have maybe upgraded from one to the other or had the benefit of hearing both units.

A brief pros and cons will be enough as I have done plenty of research and just want to confirm that my information is correct as the usual problem with reading reviews it that its just a persons opinion.

Final throw of the dice before I pull the trigger.

Thanks to any members who are able to post valueable input into this thread

2. LongStrength

LongStrength
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I can give you some insight on this when my SB12 NSD arrives as I have had the XXLS400 shortly ago.

First may I ask, what are you leaning towards so far after your research and why?

Secondly, how are they the same price? my NSD was significantly more than the XXLS400 - which is a huge factor.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  3. Darkmatter21

Darkmatter21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I think they use the same driver and in the same size cabinet. The amps are slightly different, on the svs, it uses alot more dsp in order to achieve a much flatter response at lower levels. When pushed they should be very similar. I prefered the look and finish of the svs but you don't get the choice of df or ff. I would personally if both are the same price go for the svs.

4. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Apparently the svs has the edge with music and both are on par with music.

5. devbias

devbias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22

Brilliant just the kind of member I was fishing for.

I was leaning towards the xxls400 DF but in high gloss the price shoots upto £519.95 + £13.95 delivery

This then got me looking at other subs in the £550 price bracket and noticed the svs sb12-nsd just above this at £589 delivered with 5 years warranty opposed to the 2 years given by BK

A little research away from AVforums showed a big following for the SB12 and users upgrading from xxls200&400 to the SB12

The official distributor for the UK is £589 delivered but unofficial means can bring one in for less hence my quote of the costs of the subs being equal for the high gloss unit.

Plus for the svs are
    5 year warranty
    Newer tech & class D
    Why do BK customers move to SVS ( could save me a costly upgrade )

Cons for the Svs
    FF only
    About £50 more official
    Cheaper unofficial imports

Be interested in your views when it arrives. It may save me a future upgrade !!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  6. devbias

devbias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I noticed that you also looked at a US sub import but the carriage costs went against you. Was that the only reason that made you decide against?

7. Southern soul

Southern soul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I had the same dilemma, I chose the BK xxls400 for the finish (gloss scratches just dusting) high level input for 2 channel and the glowing reviews.
    Plus they are not far from me if anything goes wrong.
    there was an offer on at the time for free super spikes which kinda clinched the deal for me ( although I'm still waiting for them to arrive )
    Oh and £140 cheaper.

Without doubt the best sub I've owned, much better than my previous Rel R305 both for music and movies.

8. Darkmatter21

Darkmatter21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I didn't realise how much the xxls400 had gone up in price for a gloss black one. Personally I would call frank Harvey and get one from there. Great customer service. If you don't want gloss black I would go with an xxls. I went off the idea of importing as I felt by the time you paid delivery+va5t+duty and the hassle , I just didn't feel it was worth it.

9. devbias

devbias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Well if I go for high gloss finish the SVS SB12 is a clear winner in that price bracket.
    Will wait for Longstrength to report when that SB12 replaces the xxls400:lesson:

10. LongStrength

LongStrength
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Hi mate don't worry I won't forget you but I am wondering why is it you think the SB12 NSD would be the clear winner in this bracket? because I have not found any such evidence it will be better in ANY way, perhaps you have?

Just curious,

cheers.

11. devbias

devbias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    After much research and the responses of forum members here and other forums. I have not had a single person who has owned anything less than a xxls400 suggest the bk over the svs at the same price which in high gloss black they are albeit by a few quid.

However in ask or satin black when the difference is £150 its a different outcome hence my comment in high gloss I have a clear winner.

12. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
  13. LongStrength

LongStrength
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    The biggest problem is how often there is a confusion between the PB and the SB.

Post number 10 as referred to by mojo again gets confused, referring to the SB initially then quickly talking about the PB.

The SB12 vs XXLS400 is a different ball game which often gets answered by people with the PB12 in there heads.

Must be careful, I myself after doing similar research to yourself have not found, in any way conclusive opinions on the SB12 being anything even close to, SIGNIFICANTLY better.

Weather or not it has the edge? possibly, but again, in most cases the SB12 is 100+ more monies.

I have to wait a little before I can comment form personal experience - but I believe that time should be soon.

Also be careful posting on other US based forums, BK will get nothing there, and SVS are RENOWNED.

End of the day there IS a lot to think about, and IMO it IS a more difficult choice if you are actually trying to 'NAIL IT' with regards to your personal preferences and the absolute BEST for your money.

Pretty much the conclusion I drew from one of the other threads I made on this similar subject was, basically, for that money, they are all much of a muchness, "SPEND £2000!"

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013