Question xxls400 or Q acoustics QB12 , first real sub advice coming from a logitech z5500 !

MickEire

Standard Member
Hi,
Looking for a sub to complete my first real av system, room is about 12X18 ft.
Have q acoustics 3050 for front left and right, 3090ci for center, 3010 for rear left and right and 7000i for atmos. Denon 2700 just arrived yesterday :) :)

I have narrowed it down to the xxls400 or the q acoustics QB12 but scanning over the forums the BK subs seem highly regarded. Its main use will be movies, but the monolith is over my budget (so are the xxls400 and qb12 but what the hell !)

the only comparable thing i had before i purchased this system was a logitech z5500 system, which i was impressed with for what it was, loved the sub on it. i assume the xxls400 would blow it out of the water??
any opinions on the xxls400? v QB12? hoping to purchase this weekend !!

kbfern

Distinguished Member
It's a pretty big room to fill and as good as the XXLS400 is the Monolith is better especially as it is mainly for movies.

BK sell on Ebay via their colosusxsb store they are cheaper than going to BK direct. They don't have any Monolith at the moment but stocks change regularly so keep checking.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
The 1s will be way out of his budget, he will be looking to spend less than £450.

MickEire

Standard Member
Budget is a bit limited, the thing is I was genuinely impressed with the sub on my Logitech z5500 that I had for years, I know it was just a system designed to be used for pc but I had it under the TV and loved it. But I have nothing to compare it to, I haven't listened to a proper sub and I'm sort of going into the purchase blind ( all the hifi shops are closed here at the moment due to lockdown)

kbfern

Distinguished Member
The system you have now assembled is a huge step up in quality over the z5500 have no doubt but what you may hear initially may not seem so.

The z5500 and pc type packages can sound good but lack quality, they tend to sound boomy rather than clear and with proper less distorted bass. After getting used to the sound it will be clear you have a good upgrade.

If you want to get a sub this weekend go for the BK XXLS400 if you don't want black they have other options at the same price. The BK is £100 less than the QB12 and has a more powerful amplifier and will also go lower and louder.

I have an XXLS400 sub in my lounge system with a Denon X4500 and Monolith THX speakers, my room is 24ft x 16ft and can kick out plenty of volume if needed.

Even though your speakers and avr are of a lower level you should still be able to crank it up when required without the system sounding strained or distorted.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
@MickEire look P12-300SB-PR model which BK claims is suited for larger rooms and it outperforms XXLS400 regarding movies due to passive radiator design which is close to ported designs so you get lot more output below 30hz where the XXLS400 is reported to sound bit soft.

As a bonus you get auto on/off feature which is missing from XXLS400. Price difference is 20£!

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I agree with your point regarding the 300SB-PR at the moment though BK have none for sale through e-bay and the OP was looking to spend less if possible and wants to order this weekend.

If he can pay the extra price and BK direct have them in stock the 300 would be the way to go, if not the XXLS400 can crank it out unless you want to really want to troll the depths and there's nothing wrong with that :D

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Just looked at the BK web page and the 300 PR model is out of stock at present and only the 300SB available. In that case IMV unless the OP can wait for the PR model to come into stock the XXLS400 is his best alternative. He could ring Tom at BK on Monday and find out when 300 PR's are going to be available.

MickEire

Standard Member
Lads, thanks for the very comprehensive replies, ive been keeping a very close eye on the ebay page over the past while and havent seen the 300SB-PR on it, it would probably suit better and go a bit lower which i would love but it's back to price. Essentially i have found that the £ price on the bk website works out roughly the same (number wise!) as what i roughly pay in euros with delivery from the ebay site.
Normally it would be ok but i feel ive already spent what feels like a fortune, and something better is always just ' a few euro more' !!! (my old samsung 1080p tv has purple on the screen from the bottom and top and three of the backlight lenses have fallen off, its knackered) so there is a 65" LG oled somewhere between the shop and my house at the moment !!

Im just worried that ill get the 400 and be underwhelmed after spending around 460 euro on it..

Ultrasonic

Im just worried that ill get the 400 and be underwhelmed after spending around 460 euro on it..

Based on your previous sub that seems monumentally unlikely to me :) .

Last edited:

MickEire

Standard Member
@kbfern thanks a million for the replys, how do you find the xxls400 you have for depth, do you find it lacking a bit for movies, is it capable for good low end for action sequences ect?

kbfern

Distinguished Member
What 65" OLED are you getting? whatever it is it will be a big step up from your previous TV :thumbsup:

What sort of material will you be listening to with your new set up, films via bluray or streamed, general tv etc or gaming. If films are you liking big action flicks, musical concerts etc. And what sort of volume are you listening at.

MickEire

Standard Member
@kbfern i've ordered the LG65BX, the cx reviewed better but it was extra cash as well and i viewed both beside each other running the same image and the difference was very small, bx was a just little darker but still unreal quality, i find im trying to be a bit more sensible recently and assessing the 'law of diminishing returns' when buying anything!!

Viewing will be mostly netflix/disney ect and ive already bought 4k UHD : Seven worlds one planet, blade runner 2049, and back to the future box set in anticipation even though ive nothing to play them on yet !!! ( can't wait!)

volume levels will be generally moderate, although i might crank it up a little every now and again but never ear blowing, i live in the middle of nowhere with no houses around so neighbours are not a problem :)

kbfern

Distinguished Member
First I must say I have two systems a full projector based system with 2 x 15" subwoofers and bags of amplification as per my signature. This I use when I want to have the full immersion experience and at near reference levels and want to blow the bloody doors off.:D

Then I have my lounge system which is still better than most folks systems as it has a 65" OLED with a 5.1.4 Atmos sound system with the Denon X4500 and XXLS400.

With this system I watch tv/netflix/4k blurays at more moderate levels. Moderate levels to me would be -20db for general tv and around -10db for movies although I have on occasion turned it up to -5db which to most folks would be far too loud.

I can honestly say whilst the bass can't be compared to my twin 15" setup it can still make me more than smile at these more modest levels.

Do I think you will be underwhelmed NO but like I said sometimes folks have upgraded from modest pc/ all in a box boombox type systems and thought where is the bass!!!

The bass dear freind is there, what is missing is the distortion from bloated bass.

Once you have your full system, set it up properly with Audyssey and give it a bit of time to bed in (20-50hrs) and you will have a more refined sound and one that when you turn the volume up will sound even better than what you have now.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
@kbfern volume levels will be generally moderate, although i might crank it up a little every now and again but never ear blowing, i live in the middle of nowhere with no houses around so neighbours are not a problem :)

Really shame BK is out of parts again. Losing so much money due to Covid.

Consider SVS PB1000. You get almost Monolith type performance without massive cabinet! Compared to sealed BK/QA this will easily outperform them where it matters for action/scifi movies (18-36hz octave) giving you more impact and rumble. :) For 373,50£ if you use CODE SDFL on checkout! This is SVS refurb unit with full warranty and i´m yet to hear anyone finding any marks on these! There is only one left in stock. Don´t get fooled that is "only" has 10" driver, there is reason why this has been one of the most popular real HT sub for 500$ all over world! The design is lot newer than BK including directly to SVS made Peerless drivers and more modern class-d Sledge amp with DSP, 5year warranty over 2years (BK)!

I must of been lucky got mine for the same sort of price

You did great, i think it was around 500£ mark you got the 1S! Good product for low price. 👌

MickEire

Standard Member
@Jamesw71 i would like ported but looking around its hard for me to find something that ticks the boxes for the right price :)
@kbfern thats good to hear, a refined sound would be something i would value in a system and by the sounds of it the 400 would provide me that, (would love 2x 15" subwoofers, that must be unreal !!).

i sold my denon separates hifi system that i bought in richer sounds well over 20 years ago which served me well to help fund this latest adventure so i appreciate quality, which the bk appear to have in both build and sound. Nice to hear from somebody who actually has one as well, what would you do if in my position, would you go for the 400 knowing what you know about it?

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Gasp good find with that PB1000 :thumbsup: I agree that the SVS would be his best choice at that price.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
That's a shame:( I think you are scuppered Mick, If you want a sub now and your budget is around £400 I think the XXLS400 is your best option. It may not go as low/loud as a ported but unless you are a bass head (which I am) if you place it in a corner and depending on where you sit in the room it should still ruffle a few feathers when the volume is turned up.:)

You could always consider second hand as that might open the doors to something ported but the cost of shipping may rule it out plus maybe no warranty.

parper

Standard Member
Really shame BK is out of parts again. Losing so much money due to Covid.

Consider SVS PB1000. You get almost Monolith type performance without massive cabinet! Compared to sealed BK/QA this will easily outperform them where it matters for action/scifi movies (18-36hz octave) giving you more impact and rumble. :) For 373,50£ if you use CODE SDFL on checkout! This is SVS refurb unit with full warranty and i´m yet to hear anyone finding any marks on these! There is only one left in stock. Don´t get fooled that is "only" has 10" driver, there is reason why this has been one of the most popular real HT sub for 500$ all over world! The design is lot newer than BK including directly to SVS made Peerless drivers and more modern class-d Sledge amp with DSP, 5year warranty over 2years (BK)!

You did great, i think it was around 500£ mark you got the 1S! Good product for low price. 👌

Don't think the SDFL code works with grade M refurbs sadly.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
They were sold mate.:)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...

Latest News

Philips debuts fifth generation P5 Picture Processing Suite
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Philips introduces new 9206 and 8506 LED Android TVs for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips unveils 9636 and 9506 MiniLED TVs
  • By Andy Bassett