XXLS400 Connection to Denon AV Confusion

xrayhead

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I am somewhat confused with the connection of the XXLS400, the PDF describes how to connect up the "High Level Input Connecter" and the "Low Level Input Connecter". Do I need to connect both, the High Level or the Low Level. If only one of the above is required what do I set the dials to on the other????

See SUB and AV Amp below:

ScreenShot2013-02-07at111907_zps372bd082.png

ScreenShot2013-02-07at112106_zps23f17cde.png

Thanks in advance for any help!

Xray

Low level connects to the "SUBWOOFER" output on the AVR; it's a line-level, non power amplified signal. That's all you need; you only need to connect it to either L or R - the manual which tell you which one, although it doesn't really matter as far as I know.

High level would connect in parallel with main speakers, so a power amplified signal (coincidentally, the sub doesn't really take any of this power, it just takes a signal that it then amplifies). These high level inputs are necessary because most stereo-only amps don't have any kind of dedicated line-level subwoofer output.

Low level connects to the "SUBWOOFER" output on the AVR; it's a line-level, non power amplified signal. That's all you need; you only need to connect it to either L or R - the manual which tell you which one, although it doesn't really matter as far as I know.

High level would connect in parallel with main speakers, so a power amplified signal (coincidentally, the sub doesn't really take any of this power, it just takes a signal that it then amplifies). These high level inputs are necessary because most stereo-only amps don't have any kind of dedicated line-level subwoofer output.

Errr OK :confused:

So do I connect "BOTH" or just the Low Level??
If I only connect to the Low Level what do I do with the HL Gain Dial?

Sorry for the dumb questions, really appreciate the help!

Only low level, leave the HL Gain at its lowest setting (won't do anything anyway).

Set LL Gain at around 40%, and LL Filter to Out/LFE since the AVR will be doing the filtering and you just want to take whatever the AVR outputs on the SUBWOOFER connector. Leave the phase at 0 first, once you calibrate you can play with this to see which may sound better.

Only low level, leave the HL Gain at its lowest setting (won't do anything anyway).

Set LL Gain at around 40%, and LL Filter to Out/LFE since the AVR will be doing the filtering and you just want to take whatever the AVR outputs on the SUBWOOFER connector. Leave the phase at 0 first, once you calibrate you can play with this to see which may sound better.

MANY THANKS!! You've really helped me out :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom