XVID playing in WMP but not Vista MC

tups

Standard Member
I am just setting up the codecs for my new Vista media center and all is going well except for some strange behaviour with an XVid avi that will play in WMP but not MCE. The same video plays fine on my 2005 MCE set-up.

The only codes I have installed are the K-Lite full codec pack. I have used GSpot to find the video is encoded as an XvID ISO MPEG-4 video and the codec required is available.

Any ideas greatly received?

tups

Standard Member
Finally made it back to the house to try this out but sadly no luck :(

Any other ideas greatfully received.

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
Remove that nasty codec pack. They always cause problems with MCE. Just install ffdshow.

mickey

Distinguished Member
i had the same problem, i just installed the divx codec and xvids started working in vista mce. Mike

tups

Standard Member
Remove that nasty codec pack. They always cause problems with MCE. Just install ffdshow.
Thanks for the advice. I have uninstalled the codec pack and installed ffdshow instead but still no luck.

The weird thing is that it plays fine in WMP so it is something about the way VMC uses the codecs :confused:

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
AFAIK WMP and MC share the same codecs. Have you got any odd plug-ins in WMP which may be doing the work for you?

I originally just used Xvid, and then added ffdshow codecs for some odd 5.1 sound videos I had - worked fine.

Do you know what the format is of the video you are trying to play?

tups

Standard Member
AFAIK WMP and MC share the same codecs.
I thought the same which makes this all the more confusing.

Have you got any odd plug-ins in WMP which may be doing the work for you?
Not that I know of.

Do you know what the format is of the video you are trying to play?
I am not particualry good with codecs, but it is an AVI file and using GSpot it shows it as a MPEG4 XVid.

One thing that is different about this video compared to all others that do work is that it is a 1080p recording. Not sure if that could make a difference??

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom