Xvid, How to use?

AML

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I recently got an episode of Enterpirses season 4 from a friend online. I dont usually get stuff this way, but since they havent even finished showing season 2 where I live, its gonna be a while till they release season 4!

Anyway, the file is labled "Xvid" and even though I did have a look on the net and found a web site with the xvid codec, i still can figure out how to use it to view the Xvid files that I have.

Does anyone know how u use the codec to view the files? Do the files need to be converted or burned? I really have no idea how to do this, so any help is appreciated!
:lease:

With the codec installed it should play in your usual software or media player. Not being rude but what is the file called? Mine all end in .avi It could be that your friend compressed it before sending. Are you familiar with winrar and zip files? What happens when you double click on it?

Xvid should work just like DivX. You install the codec on your machine and then you should be able to play encoded avi's in media player. My Xvids are also all avi's.

I have one idea that might possibly work - have you tried renaming the file extension of the Xvid file to avi or adding .avi to the end of the file if it doesn't already have an extension? This might do the trick.

Thanks for replies. The truth is, I download a lot of TV shows from bit torrents. I know we shouldnt be talking about them, but I only download stuff from US TV shows that never make it to Japan.

I hate downloading other things that hurt companies like games or movies.

Anyway. Most of the stuff I get is infact in the .avi format and plays on Media player or on a different player like real player.

The problem im having is that certain dowloads including what my friend sent me is in a folder.
Inside the folder theres a sample in avi format that i can play. but the rest of the episode is in lots of smaller single files that are in xvid format. (r01, r02....)

I dont know what i should be doing with these files. Its as though they need to be encoded, or burned like you would a TS file.

I cant figure out what to do with them. Its annoying coz a lot of episodes are like that.

You need to open them with winrar, you should then be able to extract the .avi file, a bit like winzip.

cheers. ill give that a try and see if it works. But why are there so many small files in the folder? I can understand there just being one?

I used win rar, but all it does is encode the files into a win rar file. Theres nothing to extract.

I think i need to encode the origianl files in the folder into something.

Any other ideas? The files has a lot of files in it. Maybe 20 or so. I just dont know how to turn them into a single avi file or similar file that i can watch as a video

It's not unusual for rar files to be split into many parts. Usually you just open the first file with winrar and it stitches them all together, then you can extract them and get your .avi.

There is a chance that the file you have is corrupt or fake?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. thanks. I worked it out. After encoding using rar, i was able to open and download a single video file in avi form.
Cheers!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom