1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XVid/DivX DVD + Amp + Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by ajkett, Apr 7, 2005.

1. ajkett

ajkett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ya fellas, :hiya:

I've just bought my first place (on the ladder at last!) and am kitting out the lounge with the entertainment centre (obviosly the first place to start spending money on, haha).

Well, ive a friend at Sony who sorted me out a reasonable projector (vpl-es2), now i need a dvd/amp to compliment it.

Any recommendations?

My main wants are
    1. Prograssive Scan DVD
    2. DivX and Xvid playback
    3. remote control to control both the amp + dvd (preferably 1 unit!)
    4. Slim as you can get - i dont really want a FAT amp :)

If they come with speakers thats cool, because i havent sorted them out either, but i can always go shopping for speakers seperately in any case.

Im on a budget of 400 quid (ex-demo is cool)

Any ideas?

I looked at the jamo dvr50 (which does divx (not xvid thou?)) which is a great progressive scan dvd/amp but a little out of my price range sadly :( - i'd get one on ebay, but the only one on there has a torn speaker casing :(

Thanks for listening
    Tony

2. ajkett

ajkett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. chrbjo

chrbjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

just wanted to let you know that the Jamo DVR50 does play xvid (subtitles too if you are interested in that). It plays about 95% of all divx/xvid that i've tried, which I think is a quite good percentage.

The DVR50 have it's flaws, occasionally when trying to play a non-supported divx/xvid, the system hangs and you have to unplug the power cord to reset the system. But that is the only problem I've experienced.

The picture/sound is excellent and it plays almost anything.
    I am very happy with mine and I do not hesitate to recommend it.

4. terryeden

terryeden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    For points 1 & 2
    Xbox Media Centre. Plays anything you can throw at it. Can output 720p or 1080i. Needs one (soft) modded Xbox and a visit to http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/ . Also has audio optical out and network port.

For point 3
    Get an all in one remote jobbie. The Kameleons work well and allow you to control audio volume no matter which device you've selected.

For point 4
    Break out your screwdriver ;-)

HTH

T

5. ajkett

ajkett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heh, thanks you 2.

The fact that the Jamo plays xvid is excellent news. I may have to bargain hunt for one of them. My friend (funnily enough his name is terry too) has a modded xbox with media centre and loves it to bits. Has all his mame roms on there + music/films etc. If however you have a single optical out on the xbox, surely you need a seperate amp to decode the digital sound into the 5.1 speakers? Some subs may do that, but then it means more remote controls etc etc. Im looking for the definative all in one :)

I've got a shuttle PC with media centre edition for TV/Mame/Games but i think having a seperate DVD player is essential...no booting up the pc etc. The XBox solution isnt cheap either is it? My mate paid loads for the chipping / software / bigger hdd. (not to mention buying the xbox itself as well).

Defo worth considering though.

6. terryeden

terryeden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    That's right - that's also why I suggested getting an all in one remote.

You can buy a new pre-chipped Xbox for ~£150. Or do what I did.
    2nd hand Xbox ~£50
    Chip ~£25
    Time ~£30 minutes.

The box itself comes with a 10GB drive - should be more than enough space.

T

7. and36

and36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13