XVC1E - best screen? - any screen?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Rob Dyer, Jan 18, 2001.

1. Rob Dyer

Rob Dyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the Sharp XVC1E, sure I'd like more but my pockets won't stretch yet.

I'm currently projecting onto a white wall (from a DVD). Is it worth getting a screen, will it make a significant improvement to the picture quality, or will it not be worth it due to the source? I was thinking of one of the manual screens by Vision (UK) - but is £300 for a 7 footer worth it given my set up?

(Any tips on getting the best out of my little workshorse would also be appreciated.)

Cheers

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Go to a curtain shop or John Lewis and but a big sheet of black out curtain. It seems to work quite well, and is very cheap.

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'
    MiB 1997

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

3. Rob Dyer

Rob Dyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, ReTrO, are the 'black out' curtains to which you refer white? I was thinking of making my own screen either from some cloth of some sort or white plastic floor covering (provided it wasn't too 'reflective' or 'shiny') and have it hanging from the ceiling. It sounds pretty naff I know but could it work?

Mr Bond, everything one says about the XVC1E has to be in the context of price and competition in my view. The price is *extremely* cheap and the competition is nil!

Picture quality is fine if you don't expect too much. Colours can be a bit over the place generally (it's often worth resetting the contrast, brightness, colour etc each time you use it to suit what you're viewing). A DVD player will produce a noticeably better image than a video. The XVC1E has an S-Video input (although I'm not yet using it) and using that connected to a DVD player's S-Video out that should help even more.

Brightness is excellent given the machines limitations - provided you only use it in dark-as-possible conditions. I only ever use it in the evenings (with all lights out and curtains closed) and it is fine.

Image size can be huge if you have the space. I've used it to project images behind a band at a gig before and the image was approximately 20ft across by 10 foot high. Picture quality was obviously rough but it can throw a BIG image. I'm currently using it across my lounge (approximately 12 ft) and this throws an image about 6ft across. The biggest flaw is the notorious chicken-wire effect. (It looks like you are viewing the image through chicken wire.) Without my glasses (I'm slightly short-sighted) I don't notice the effect! ;-) It is most noticeable on images of fine detail. It's okay on big close-up and animation though.

I've had mine for a couple of years (but was lucky enough to only pay £689 for it then). For £600 I'd say it is EXCELLENT value. In fact, it is the best £700 I ever spent.

If you can, see a demo before you buy. I don't know where you are, but Shasonic in Tottenham Court Road have a good viewing theatre and you can compare the picture quality with the others on sale. You will see the big difference in quality but then you'll also see the big difference in price. For £600 it can't be beaten.

Phew! Sorry about all that!

Anyone else got comments on my original posting?...

4. Rob Dyer

Rob Dyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Yep the blackout curatin is white, be a bit useless otherwise...

Seems quite good with a DLP, running at 1600 x 1200, at approx 7ft wide, 4ft high. It's especially good that no light gets through from the rear also!

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'
    MiB 1997

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is your projector the 600 squid one?