XTZ Spirit or Arendal 1961?

Patrik72

Standard Member
Hi,

I am set up a small surround system in our newly built weekend home. We have agreed to install a small system with wall mounted speakers as there is no possibilities to fit freestanding speakers in the room. The system will be used 80% for movie/TV and 20% music and my refference is a rather neutral balanced sound.

At the moment we are looking at either go for XTZ Spirit 2 as front and surrounds and Spirit 6 as center. The alternative would be going for Arendal 1961 bookshelf as fronts and surround together with a 1961 center. As a sub I am leaning towards the XTZ 12:17 Edge at the moment for both setups. There is a rather large price difference between the full XTZ setup and the Arendal setup so I would like to know if any on have heard both of these setups and cold give the pros and cons for going either way. The Spirit system got a really good review here at AVForums but in the different threads here at the forum people are a bit mixed in their thoughts about the Spirit system. For the Arendal there seems to be more of an praise at the moment but they have at the same time only been around for a short time so I do not know if that have any impact on that there is virtualy no negative reviews from forum users yet. So all thoughts and reflections are welcome.

/Patrik

Last edited:

Charlie Brown

I've been considering this also and hoping others would comment. Based on the specs the 1961s seem to have the upper hand. I also considered the XTZ Cinema range based on spec, however the depth puts me off, plus i want white. I'm also still considering MK MP950s, but keep getting drawn to the 1961s. I'll be placing an order this weekend.

Patrik72

Standard Member
I've been considering this also and hoping others would comment. Based on the specs the 1961s seem to have the upper hand. I also considered the XTZ Cinema range based on spec, however the depth puts me off, plus i want white. I'm also still considering MK MP950s, but keep getting drawn to the 1961s. I'll be placing an order this weekend.
Ok, would be interested to know what you end up ordering as I am very unsure my self at the moment ;-).

Charlie Brown

Ok, would be interested to know what you end up ordering as I am very unsure my self at the moment ;-).
1961 monitors and centre ordered. I'll post on the main 1961 thread with my thoughts when they arrive and are setup. Once our extension is built later this year I'll be buying rear speakers to match, most likely I'll use two sets of the "height" speakers as they will be mounted higher than normal placement.

Patrik72

Standard Member
1961 monitors and centre ordered. I'll post on the main 1961 thread with my thoughts when they arrive and are setup. Once our extension is built later this year I'll be buying rear speakers to match, most likely I'll use two sets of the "height" speakers as they will be mounted higher than normal placement.
Great, I am looking forward to read your thoughts about this set-up. I am realy close to pull the trigger my self ;-)

Patrik72

Standard Member
So now I have ordered the Arendal 1961 Monitor, Center and Sub 1S. Will be interesting to see if they performe as well as I hope they will :cool:

Patrik72

Standard Member
As my set up is in our weekend home and due to Covid-19 we have not been able to go there so often but now the system is up and running and after some break-in period it is really delivering at a very high level, especially given the limitations we have for speaker placement etc. It works very well for TV; movies etc. but does at the same time also work very well for 2ch music. I guess that the sound would be even better if we could have placed the speakers some 15-30 centimeters from the back wall and slightly wider but still it is rely a nice set up and the integration between the 1961 Monitor, Center and Sub1 S is seamless. As you can see from the picture, we have placed the Sub 1 S with the woofer pointing in to the room due to limited space but I have not noticed any disadvantages from this placement. So all in all I can really recommend this set up and I would love to listen to the 1723 s Tower, center and surrounds + 2x Sub 1V or 1S as I am thinking of going that road when updating our large system at home (today PMC FB1+, PMC DB1i and XTZ Cinema sub 1X12).

1961 LCR.jpg

Dobbyisfree

Hi @Patrik72 what further thoughts and opinions do you have on these? Particularly on the 1S and the centre?
Also, @Charlie Brown please can you link me to your thoughts you posted?

Dobbyisfree

Also, what do Arendal say about the direction of the 1S? Does it matter which way it faces?

Patrik72

Standard Member
Hi @Patrik72 what further thoughts and opinions do you have on these? Particularly on the 1S and the centre?
Also, @Charlie Brown please can you link me to your thoughts you posted?
Hi I still like them a lot, the only remarks are not really connected to the speakers but rather hove I have placed them. Due to the limited space in our weekend home, they are a bit too close for the recommended 60 degrees separation between L&R so the soundstage could be wider if placed optimal.

Next thing is that the soundstage actually is a tad better if not placed flush on the wall but this was already something that Arendal told me but as that is the only option for us we had to accept that compromise. So all in all try to place them according to all guidelines and they are a great option, still placed a bit suboptimal they performs really well.

The star however in my mind is the Sub1S that performs on absolute top level in their price range. The bas is ultrafast and dry and you do not lack much except for the ultra low end in the sub 20-hz region. On the placement I have newer consulted Arendal on the placement but as I do not run anything above 90 hz the direction should not make much of problem.

Dobbyisfree

Thank you, much appreciated. I assume you mean crossovers are all 90Hz or lower? The LFE channel is still up to 120Hz as default. But I see your point. Besides, it is facing towards you anyway so should be fine.

Did your Sony's EQ set the centre crossover? What did it recommend? I'm assuming, as it's only 15cm deep, that it may not be great with low frequencies?

Charlie Brown

Patrik72

Standard Member
Thank you, much appreciated. I assume you mean crossovers are all 90Hz or lower? The LFE channel is still up to 120Hz as default. But I see your point. Besides, it is facing towards you anyway so should be fine.

Did your Sony's EQ set the centre crossover? What did it recommend? I'm assuming, as it's only 15cm deep, that it may not be great with low frequencies?
I recall that it was something like 75-80Hz, it is the same for LCR as they are identical speakers. They do performe realy good for theire size and together with the sub you will not lack much when it comes to music. For cinema I guess that the Sub1V is a slightly better choice if you got room for it.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom