XTZ Cinema Series

tebbo65

Still … I did not make any specific changes to my 3 x 5m HT room and my Lyngdorf MP60 with Roomperfect made it sound great. And before that I used Audyssey based processors but could not get it to sound this great.
Your talking different gravy there though buddy. Very nice 👍🏻.

Conrad

Improving the room definitely has a big improvement and, like you, I would encourage people to try things and experiment with furniture, acoustic panels and placement.

That said, there’s a lot to be said for variable frequency based time alignment the likes of which room perfect, Dirac, trinnov, ARC offer. There are cheaper ways to test as well with things like accourate, audiolense and the one I use in a two channel system, Focus Fidelity.

For <100 PEQ is a must, unless you get very lucky with phase integration of multiple subs, you will have modes and peaks that will require taming. Bass traps for those are likely multiple feet thick.

Remember that lots of people have their systems in a room which also doubles as a living space to heavy treatment isn’t always an option.

gpt

Improving the room definitely has a big improvement and, like you, I would encourage people to try things and experiment with furniture, acoustic panels and placement.

That said, there’s a lot to be said for variable frequency based time alignment the likes of which room perfect, Dirac, trinnov, ARC offer. There are cheaper ways to test as well with things like accourate, audiolense and the one I use in a two channel system, Focus Fidelity.

For <100 PEQ is a must, unless you get very lucky with phase integration of multiple subs, you will have modes and peaks that will require taming. Bass traps for those are likely multiple feet thick.

Remember that lots of people have their systems in a room which also doubles as a living space to heavy treatment isn’t always an option.

Exactly right. In rooms that double as living spaces though, im not sure it's possible to achieve even 60% of what you could achieve in a dedicated room - in which case, why spend 10k on it? Is it even worth it? Again going back to my car analogy - your buying a Ferrari and taking it off roading.

Conrad

Exactly right. In rooms that double as living spaces though, im not sure it's possible to achieve even 60% of what you could achieve in a dedicated room - in which case, why spend 10k on it? Is it even worth it? Again going back to my car analogy - your buying a Ferrari and taking it off roading.

I guess it depends on what makes people happy.

I had my big floorstanders in an office that was far, far too small for them. They didn’t sound their best but I loved them, and still do (they’re now in a much larger room and sound much better).

Does it sound optimal to put a 10k system in a room with tiled floors and floor to ceiling glass windows? Probably not. But would that same person be happy with a set of Bose? Doubtful.

Also, if you start with better speakers in a poor room they’ll still likely sound better than bad speakers in the same room.

I’m not disagreeing with you, I think it’s in everyone’s interest, financial and enjoyment, to get the most out of their kit. And treatment is a low cost and very effective way to do that.

scoc

Did you take any measurements to show the differences? An improved EQ maybe does improve things, but as I said before - there would be less EQ if people started accepting the room is part of their system and it needs to be improved too.

Not to be offensive to your particular situation, but I always read a lot of people upgrading speakers and spending a lot more money to say/convince themselves "it's worth it". Sometimes i think people just need to justify what they've spent. I like to see tangible measurements these days.

Would you put a Ferrari engine in an old pergiot 106? That's what a lot of people do with their speakers in certain rooms. I'm one of them. I purchased xtz cinema speakers in a 4x3 room with my sofa against the back wall and speakers near to corners. When I played them compared to my old Kef q900 5.1 which i sold for less that half the price - I wasn't really that impressed. I made changes, improved my subs and learnt rew and made a lot of little improvements. But I've reached the limits of my system until i move rooms - and I'm currently planning an extension that will allow me to do that. I have no treatment in my current room because of large windows, double doors, and other pieces in the room. It is only through research that I have learnt about all the things i never took into consideration before i made my last upgrade. Really I never needed to upgrade my speakers, not until I changed rooms. I however have no intention of changing my speakers anytime soon though, I know my speakers are great and in reality I've never actually heard them before.

I'm just encouraging people to understand everything they need before they upgrade any one item. I believe I've made mistakes in the past and i encourage others to listen to mine and others experiences

Nope I did not do any measurements since for me that is not part of this hobby. And I want a proper plug and play room correction system with good results and Roomperfect gives me exactly that. Audyssey could not never deliver anything approaching this. Denon and Marantz are the only brand left selling this mediocre system.

Btw, did you ever try another receiver using Dirac or ARC in the same room? I think you might change your mind about your room …

scoc

Your talking different gravy there though buddy. Very nice 👍🏻.

Says the guy with 2 Oled screens including a 77 inch unit ;)

DodgeTheViper

Btw, did you ever try another receiver using Dirac or ARC in the same room? I think you might change your mind about your room …
I tried ARC over Audyssey in my room and ARC didn’t cut it one bit so I went back to Audyssey. I’ve yet to try Dirac.

tebbo65

Agree about Audyssey. However I manual EQ Subs and LCR using REW and MiniDSP 2x4 HD and use the Audyssey app to tweak sides, rears and overheads. Great results both measurement and listening wise. But that's after using REW to optimise speaker placement and room treatment first.
Always compromises though 🤪.

scoc

I tried ARC over Audyssey in my room and ARC didn’t cut it one bit so I went back to Audyssey. I’ve yet to try Dirac.

Are you really saying you prefer Audyssey in that case?

Conrad

Old ARC, right? Not the new genesis.

gpt

Nope I did not do any measurements since for me that is not part of this hobby. And I want a proper plug and play room correction system with good results and Roomperfect gives me exactly that. Audyssey could not never deliver anything approaching this. Denon and Marantz are the only brand left selling this mediocre system.

Nope I've never tried it and while I expect the results would be improved, I can assure you not every aspect can be corrected, it's physics. I do expect your results would be a lot improved from your initial experience, but could it be better? Get an umik-1 and find out 😉

scoc

Nope I've never tried it and while I expect the results would be improved, I can assure you not every aspect can be corrected, it's physics. I do expect your results would be a lot improved from your initial experience, but could it be better? Get an umik-1 and find out 😉

I use my ears for that. Measurement graphs do not tell me how something sounds.
It is not because a graph tells me it is better that it actually sounds better.

DodgeTheViper

I’m with you on that one. They can be useful but equally frustrating at the same time.

gpt

I agree your ears are the best judge, but how do you know what you're potentially missing until you've heard it?

LINHOF

Standard Member
I am lucky enough to have an "almost" full Cinema - Series system M8; M6; S2 with two 1x12edge subs. I am thinking of a different AURO-3D / Atmos configuration . My question is , which of the S2 or S5 speakers would you use for the Voice of God channel ? and can you purchase only one from XTZ rather than a pair . What are you using for V.O.G?

JamesP1701

Hi all,

I’ve got the XTZ Cinema Series. Am now looking to expand to two atmos speakers, however I’m really looking for something that is in ceiling and would be flush (my wife is very forging with aesthetics, but I think having two speakers hanging would test even her limits!!)

Can anyone suggest anything that would pair well with the XTZ range?

With thanks,

James

JamesP1701

Also,

I’m not really looking to upgrade….but…what would folk feel is an upgrade from the XTZ cinema series (the first series of M6 and S5’s)?

It’s only for cinema viewing.

scoc

Also,

I’m not really looking to upgrade….but…what would folk feel is an upgrade from the XTZ cinema series (the first series of M6 and S5’s)?

It’s only for cinema viewing.

Arendal 1723 S series … At the time I tested both at home and kept the Arendal 1723 Monitor S series. It was a clear step up in my point of view. And yes … I know this an XTZ thread 😏

scoc

Very interesting. May I ask in what way better?

Dynamics was a clear and considerable improvement. Also, the Arendal’s sounded more detailed and more open. The so called surround bubble was clearly better with the Arendal’s in my room at the time.

tebbo65

He may mean the M6's before they were officially THX certified, exact same speaker though.
XTZ sound better in one room, Arendal sound better in another. Opinion of the listener also makes the 'which speaker is better' debate too subjective.
Obviously separates have an influence as well, minefield!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for December 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best Projectors of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Steve Withers
  • Published
Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li