Xtz cinema series 5.1.4 and Arcam AVR20

chaggers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I currently have xtz cinema series in a 5.1.4 setting
Running off a marantz 7010 and a rotel 1075 power amp
I'm looking at purchasing an arcam avr20 to replace the marantz so wondering will this be a noticeable upgrade and will this work well with my rotel amp and speakers

Your current setup is exactly the same as mine used to be.
I swapped the 7010 for a Arcam AVR550 and it is definitely a decent upgrade to my ears.
The Cinema’s and the Rotel 1075 sound great with the Arcam and Dirac allows you to tweak the sound to your liking if you don’t like the standard curve it produces.
personally I wanted to upgrade to an Arcam avr ASAP after the demo we had at Jag’s(Epic) when I bought the Cinema’s.
Hope that helps.

That's good to hear
Are you running atmos in ceiling if so which way do you have it setup
I have my rotel running the 5 surrounds and marantz on the atmos
Would this be the same case for arcam setup

I think if you set 5.1.4 the Arcam will not let you assign the rear Atmos speakers to the internal amps.

So it would probably need to be:
Rotel driving FL, C, FR, TRL, TRF
Arcam driving SL, SR, TFL, TFR

I have mine running as Krobar suggests above, not looked into the latest Arcam avr’s so not sure if the amps are still fixed or if you can assign them.

I'm pretty sure I've read you can't assign still
Hopefully will purchase this afternoon
Thanks for the advice too
I will post some pictures on other thread when all done and let you know my thoughts once dialled in
Peter tyson are gonna send their guy in to do a proper dirac calibration

I have had the Marantz 7011 with cinema 7.2.4. Upgraded to Arcam 390 and now got an JBL Synthesis SDP-55...dirac does wonder. The biggesest step was going from Marantz to Arcam..dont think you will be dissapointed with that upgrade :)

Would anybody recommend either a nad or emotiva as they too have dirac live
Just there seems to be a lot of talk with unstable software amd bugs with arcam
I'm getting conflicting messages all the time
So confused

So confused

Cant say much for emotiva or NAD. But the bugs and unstable software is basically gone now with the Arcam. It Will only get better from now on

Cant say much for emotiva or NAD. But the bugs and unstable software is basically gone now with the Arcam. It Will only get better from now on
I'm pretty much 50/50 to go for the arcam avr20 or the anthem mrx740
Have to make a decision soon though
The fellow at Peter tyson has said the last 6 they have installed have been bug free to

So confused

They have some bugs too. Arcam offer the newer/better Dirac Bass Control version which includes setting crossover in 1hz increments using Dirac and the option of Dirac bass control and the advantages that brings. NAD and Emotiva don't offer these newer Dirac features, they are also missing Auro support which is rather nice for upmixing some 2 channel music. NAD do offer 9 amp channels and their streaming support is good.

They have some bugs too. Arcam offer the newer/better Dirac Bass Control version which includes setting crossover in 1hz increments using Dirac and the option of Dirac bass control and the advantages that brings. NAD and Emotiva don't offer these newer Dirac features, they are also missing Auro support which is rather nice for upmixing some 2 channel music. NAD do offer 9 amp channels and their streaming support is good.
Is that an extra adding fee for the bass to buy or would an installer have that in their calibration

Is that an extra adding fee for the bass to buy or would an installer have that in their calibration
The Bass Control license is attached to the Dirac account/login, so an installer might have it (You would need to ask).

The Dirac upmix / crossover control is included.

Purchased the arcam avr20
Waiting on it been installed and dialled in
Now it's either go down the bass management add-on route or buy a mini dsp for the 2 subs integration
I've little experience in dsp and non in arcam so wondering if that's something I could maybes do with some tutorials
I have though built my own dedicated room and wired all up so not totally a beginner
Any feedback appreciated

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom