XTZ 99.36: A Review: UK First!

Just had a quick look on the website and those standmounts in gloss black look superb. There's a reference to a B&W 805S comparison - not sure if it's puff or from meaningful comparisons, but better than the 805 at a 1/3 of the price? That's gotta be good... The look of them remind me of the Veena's, which I recall sounding very good, if not particularly "alive".

The only thing I couldn't see on there was a centre speaker in gloss black? Bit of a blow if one doesn't exist. But the biggest problem for me is that my speakers are currently wall mounted, and it works really well. I can't see how pyramid or elliptical speakers can be mounted other than on traditional stands to be honest :( Still be good to have a listen to these anyway :)

The 99.25s are rectangular and if you want a matching centre speaker, XTZ simply sell you a single one. The tweeter mounting is pre-drilled to allow the orientation to be changed between horizontal and vertical orientations and they are all resolutely gloss black.

Adam - The 99.25s are er? Actually I don't know. I've just asked in the powerbuy thread.

Russell

The 99.25s are rectangular and if you want a matching centre speaker, XTZ simply sell you a single one. The tweeter mounting is pre-drilled to allow the orientation to be changed between horizontal and vertical orientations and they are all resolutely gloss black.

Adam - The 99.25s are er? Actually I don't know. I've just asked in the powerbuy thread.

Russell

Thanks.

So is it just me then that can't see their website?

Adam

It's never failed to work for me, but then I am blessed.:D

Try: XTZ | Sound in Balance.:)

It works fine on Firefox on both my work PC and my home Mac.

Russell

It's never failed to work for me, but then I am blessed.:D

Try: XTZ | Sound in Balance.:)

It works fine on Firefox on both my work PC and my home Mac.

Russell

I fixed it, problem with my router, strange it only affected that site (that I know of). Computers, you got to love them. :rolleyes: cue comments form smug Mac owner....

Adam

I don't really want to get hung up on the stand-mounters here; there's plenty of time for that in its own thread. However, a picture may speak louder than words:

9925trioqv9.jpg

Pardon the poor colour balance under incandescent light, but it demonstrates the depth of the finish that would apply equally to the gloss black 99.36s too.

Russell

I don't really want to get hung up on the stand-mounters here; there's plenty of time for that in its own thread. However, a picture may speak louder than words:

9925trioqv9.jpg

Pardon the poor colour balance under incandescent light, but it demonstrates the depth of the finish that would apply equally to the gloss black 99.36s too.

Russell

They are beauties :eek:

My missus kept complaining that she didn't know which picture to look at, the finish on the lowly(!) 93s was distracting her so much.
I kid you not :eek:

My missus kept complaining that she didn't know which picture to look at, the finish on the lowly(!) 93s was distracting her so much.
I kid you not :eek:

Are you talking about reflection of the display in the speakers? Not something I had considered but actually it could be quite annoying, especially for me as the speakers would be slightly in front of the Plasma... hmmm

When she faces her computer, the telly is on the right hand side of her.
One of the speakers was on her left, so it gave a really good reflection.

From a normal viewing position, it's not a problem, rest assured.

It was more emphasis on how good the finish is.

Especially so with the 93s for the dough (although I don't mean to sideline this thread).

It's just a superb finish, is the point.
I'm sure you'll see for yourself soon :smashin:

It's funny, I am already trying to work out what I will get for my 850s and Pedestalls and I haven't even heard them yet :D

I popped round Russell's last night and saw the 99.36 in the flesh, they really are gorgeous and very well built. They weren't hooked up but I did have a brief listen to the 25s. I'll leave any comments until I get a listen at home and probably after Russell posts his review which I am looking forward to :thumbsup:

Adam

Steady on chaps! I have a life in the real world too.:D

It's partially written, but requires another 10000 words of waffle to meet my usual standards.;)

Russelll

No, but it does explain the extra time required to edit them.;)

I tend to type stuff as I think about it, or if I hear something revealing of what I am listening to at the time. I also type everything that I can possibly think of in general. The time issue is in deleting repetitions, condensing sentences and organising so the review actually flows (sort of!) from one point to the next. I'm not a professional, certainly haven't received any training and therefore it doesn't come naturally, although I hope I'm getting better.

The thing is, a place like this affords the space to go into excruciating detail, that a magazine couldn't, so I do. I read some to the Audioholics reviews, for instance and sometimes wonder why they even bothered - You can get 500 words laced with unsubstantiated superlatives in WHF if that's all you want. This is the cyberspace, so why not take advantage?

That said, I'm trying not to make the 99.25 review look like I cut and pasted whole sections of this review, which is tricky in the light of the very close relationship between the two speakers. Also, I wanted to focus more on the movie performance of the 99.25s and this is taking me a lot longer than I had expected. The music recordings I use are ones that I have been listening to for over 20 years in some cases and they are burned in my mind. I can judge them a lot faster than than I can with movies, plus movies tend to be listened to louder and that requires some consideration for the very pregnant Mrs. russ.will.

I am getting there and this coming weekend at AngelEyes should move the 99.25s on a pace and the 99.36s will be reinvigorated shortly after the 29th when they are going to get hooked up to £20k+ of Naim system.

At the end of the day, I have a real job (with a commute) to do and time is precious, especially if you're trying to coordinate (co-opt?) other normal people into the process to make it more balanced.

Russell

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Russell,
How would you rate the 99.36 as compared to your GB1`s, this is of interest to me because the GB1i is on my list for the next upgrade.

Regards.........Alan

Hey Russ.will, congratz and good luck on the upcoming Russ.will Junior :)

I think most people will agree here that your reviews tend to be spot on and these XTZ speakers are fairly new on the UK market, so everyone wants to hear a fairly trusted member of the forums opinion on them.

I will hopefully have my 99.25's at the end of this week and will be able to put up a first impressions here early next week. I am lucky in a way, I work from home, so I can listen to a lot of music while working :thumbsup:

I still would like to hear your views on the speakers, but I really want to read your review of the DSP sub. Can't wait for that!!

I am not sure what I am looking forward to most this weekend, wife/child free home, speaker testing, sub testing, or the wine? :zonked:

Adam

Try all of the above:thumbsup: wish I was there with you.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom