Xtz 1x12 vs BK400

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by assosman, Jul 20, 2018.

1. assosman

assosman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi, I’m wanting to upgrade from my BK400 to a xtz 1x12 to match my xtz m6 front end.
    Am I going to notice a big difference, I’m only interested in movies and sometimes feel a bit underwhelmed with the BK400. Hope someone has some advice as I’m wanting to order one next week.

2. MacVee

MacVee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +814
    I ran M1 post 2012 satellites (which really do need underpinning with a sub due to their stature) with a BK XXLS400 and I found it to extend deeper than my previous sub (PV1D) but not as tight and softer sounding. (Could be the Class D VS AB architecture).

Have you tried all placement options with the BK, any extra tuning/EQ with an Antimode, Mini DSP etc? Anything further you reckon you can eek out of it.

I'd imagine that a 1x12 would be an upgrade over the BK. Although I mainly focus on movies myself, I do prefer the tightness and speed of sealed sub, even for films. I believe you can seal a 1x12 with an included foam bung so you are covered either way. I know someone who also has run both eras of M1's with a 1x12 and seems happy with his choice of sub.

3. MIKEVO

MIKEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    I run Dual XTZ 12.17 and think they are stunning. There are various EQ curves on the rear panel and also Room Tuning via the Bungs, which give multiple room tuning options as the Bass Reflex Ports are of Different lengths. More Power in the XTZ too. :thumbsup:

4. mjbtin

mjbtin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +636
    I went from a BK400 to an XTZ 12.17 for similar reason to you as always thought the 400 was a bit lacking at the low end.
    Went for the XTZ as didnt know if I wanted a sealed or ported sub,and with the port bungs and eq gave me the flexibility/versatility that I wanted.
    So for me it was a good upgrade to the 400 and happy with the performance:smashin: but do miss the oak finish of the BK.

Martin

5. assosman

assosman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for your reply’s, I have been happy with my BK it’s a great sub for the money, but since I’ve had the xtz m6 I’ve been thinking the sub is just lagging behind and I do like things to match.
    I just wanted reassuring I wasn’t just swapping a oak box for a black one.

6. MIKEVO

MIKEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    If its any consolation, I went from Dual Paradigm Sub1's in a 7 x 4 metre room and as good as they were, the XTZ 12.17's still thump me in the chest and have cracked the coving in my hallway. They are very good subs and I have never reached their limits. :cool:

7. assosman

assosman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks that’s what I wanted to hear

8. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917
    @fallinlight went from dual XXLS400 to XTZ 1x12 Cinema. He might have a few words to say as an M6 owner aswell! :)

There is no doubt which is the better performing subwoofer for movies.

9. fallinlight

fallinlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Oh hey, yes, happy to chime in. Wow, seems like a while back now, @Gasp3621. Thank you kindly again for all of your help. I racked my brain over it all for a while eh?!

I prefer my single 1x12 to my dual BK's. No doubt, you will prefer it over your BK. The 1x12 carries the same THX Ultra specification as the M6, too. Have you spoken to Jag or someone at XTZ? Everything Jag (great) said about the 1x12, transpired as truth, for me.

I personally say yes to that, or, I think it would be a significant difference. Will depend on your room, too. But as divulged above by @MIKEVO, the 1x12 is an extremely versatile sub. So, I do not think you can go wrong. In fact, I've never felt the need to bung it, for music. And my use is about 50/ 50 film and music. I find it great as it is. I have my 1x12 about slightly less than 1/ 4 from the front left wall.

Dual BK's were excellent - after much testing for the best positions. But the 1x 1x12 is a significant step up. There is an eager anticipation that follows with excitement one the sub engages, every time I flick the wall switch on, with either general media, music, or film. I've not even bat a thought about another sub since I got it. It's been easy going. I cannot remember if I detailed the differences on here or any other threads, but I have always written extensively, and I definitely have, on my experience with the BKs.

The 1x12 is a far more refined subwoofer. It's bigger sounding, louder, deeper, cleaner, and more articulate than the BK. It's all I need. I doubt you'd be keeping your BK once you've tried the 1x12. XTZ have their excellent trial period, too. And the BK will sell in a flash. In summary, I think it is a good and logical upgrade, and one that many on here have made and found happiness with.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  10. assosman

assosman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks, that’s a great help. I’ve not spoken to Jag over the 1x12 (he was very helpful when I ordered the m6) I wanted some feedback from someone who has experience with one. And you’re reply is just what I needed thanks again (everybody) I will be ordering one at the end of the week.