XTZ 12.17 Subwoofer thread

Wonder how the edge would do against pb1000 though. Plus the tuning options have got to count for more since the pb1000 is just a plug n play (just gain and phase) and does the pb2000's sq still sound better when the 12.17 is sealed up. Should be ordering 12.17 in next couple of days so want to be sure myself that it's a decent sub. (Sanjualf swears by it) and wasn't to keen on pb1000 myself, so gonna be praying to the subwoofer gods and asking for mercy.lol.

As long as it's a 12.17 edge you'll be fine :thumbsup:

Wonder how the edge would do against pb1000 though. Plus the tuning options have got to count for more since the pb1000 is just a plug n play (just gain and phase) and does the pb2000's sq still sound better when the 12.17 is sealed up. Should be ordering 12.17 in next couple of days so want to be sure myself that it's a decent sub. (Sanjualf swears by it) and wasn't to keen on pb1000 myself, so gonna be praying to the subwoofer gods and asking for mercy.lol.

I don`t think there is any doubts that 12.17 Edge wouldn`t be good for size/price. Not sure why you weren´t so keen with PB1000. There can be many reasons why one isn´t happy. I would first think about placement as that can make huge difference, often larger subs are placed where they fit/look best (wife), but that could mean poor response. Also in that spot there could be huge suckout and because of that you might miss certain frequency range and blame the sub for that. Swapping the sub to another one won´t really cure this if there is big null in that spot. Adding second of identical to further away could be the answer (read the benefits of dual subs). Also if the sub sounded boomy/loosy/less controlled and your receiver doesn´t do any subwoofer eq that isn`t ideal either as often the low frequencies need the correction most in room and again the sub get`s the blame. Few things to consider for sure.

Have demoed 3 subs up till now and all seem to have the mid bass all there compared to the pb1000 which just seemed to have bits missing. The deepest notes were slightly boomy so maybe would have needed an antimode for that, lack of a decent eq on my reciever is a bit of a pain in the ass hence my thinking the edge will cure that a bit. The 1000 also seemed to lack attack, it was nice in those quieter moments with the subtle low tones and pressurised the room well making the sound seem like it was coming from my speakers and music was alright as well as it's upper bass seemed all there but when it came to the dramatic parts it just seemed lacking in the mid range. Still tempted to demo the sb2000, on sat when I can finally make a choice as iv finally got the cash (just want to hear that infamous sq as well) but then iv no eq for that so probably will be circling straight back to the edge, and with possible extra charges on that if we leave the eu on the 31st I'm feeling the rush a little bit now.

Have demoed 3 subs up till now and all seem to have the mid bass all there compared to the pb1000 which just seemed to have bits missing. The deepest notes were slightly boomy so maybe would have needed an antimode for that, lack of a decent eq on my reciever is a bit of a pain in the ass hence my thinking the edge will cure that a bit. The 1000 also seemed to lack attack, it was nice in those quieter moments with the subtle low tones and pressurised the room well making the sound seem like it was coming from my speakers and music was alright as well as it's upper bass seemed all there but when it came to the dramatic parts it just seemed lacking in the mid range. Still tempted to demo the sb2000, on sat when I can finally make a choice as iv finally got the cash (just want to hear that infamous sq as well) but then iv no eq for that so probably will be circling straight back to the edge, and with possible extra charges on that if we leave the eu on the 31st I'm feeling the rush a little bit now.

Well you have 30days buy&try with the XTZ sub so try it out at home. :) Sanjualf had the SB2000 and as you probably know he liked 12.17 better. If you are eyeing sealed subwoofer then Arendal Sub 1 can´t be forgotten. Around ~800£ shipped to home (LSound.eu free shipping?) so same price as SB2000, but Arendal claims they have better cabinet (HDF over MDF), better amp components and overall the sound quality is better (more dynamic and cleaner). Tough call. :)

My friend Runs a single PB1200 Ultra and it sounds reasonable, but every time he hears my Dual 12.17's (EDGE) it blows his mind, more so at the accuracy of Bass as well as Depth when required.

In comparison the PB1200 Ultra sounds a bit dull and sluggish despite us trying many Eq and room tuning/placement options.

I definitely wouldn't go for dual PB1200's in my Room.

Well you have 30days buy&try with the XTZ sub so try it out at home. :) Sanjualf had the SB2000 and as you probably know he liked 12.17 better. If you are eyeing sealed subwoofer then Arendal Sub 1 can´t be forgotten. Around ~800£ shipped to home (LSound.eu free shipping?) so same price as SB2000, but Arendal claims they have better cabinet (HDF over MDF), better amp components and overall the sound quality is better (more dynamic and cleaner). Tough call. :)
I think the main reason for still wanting to demo the sb2000 is being able to just walk into a shop and to not depend on the post so much considering about the only thing iv ordered off the web is an hd cable.lol, if I knew for definite I wanted a sealed sub I think the arendal would be top of my list considering what's been said about it and how good it is, but have a deep down feeling that ported would win the day since I luv those luscious subtle low tones and then with the edge I could then just plug it up if needed for a more sealy sound. Could also just be me wanting to sow my subwoofer oats and see what different ones sound like.lol. but your dead right tis gonna be a difficult decision.

Last edited:
My friend Runs a single PB1200 Ultra and it sounds reasonable, but every time he hears my Dual 12.17's (EDGE) it blows his mind, more so at the accuracy of Bass as well as Depth when required.

In comparison the PB1200 Ultra sounds a bit dull and sluggish despite us trying many Eq and room tuning/placement options.

I definitely wouldn't go for dual PB1200's in my Room.
A man with ultras get his mind blown by these edges. Very encouraging.

Last edited:
Duel Edge 12.17's = deep, punchy, clean, well balanced and the nuts Bass.

Do the bass hack though.....makes a difference ;)

Last edited:
Have a look at this for an explanation

It's all about opening up the gain as much as possible on the sub so it's not throttled back.

Have a look at this for an explanation

It's all about opening up the gain as much as possible on the sub so it's not throttled back.

A few posts back I was experimenting with the gain levels and I posted about the change in sound characteristics I found so I can vouch for this so called hack. Going from this video then I think I'll try setting my AVR even lower to -12 and see if it increases punch even more.

A few posts back I was experimenting with the gain levels and I posted about the change in sound characteristics I found so I can vouch for this so called hack. Going from this video then I think I'll try setting my AVR even lower to -12 and see if it increases punch even more.

Don´t go till max figure as it will give you error and you don´t know is it -20 or -12 (if that is max figure). Example Audussey rep has said that anything from -11.5 to lower figure is fine (-12 is out of range on D&M receivers).

SVS recommendation;

The desired AVR subwoofer channel level after running auto-set-up is in the -8 to -4 range (typically on a scale of -12 to +12).

If the post-set-up AVR subwoofer channel level is bottomed out at the minimum setting (usually -12), that means the subwoofer volume was set too high. Reduce the subwoofer volume accordingly and re-run set-up. If the post-set-up AVR subwoofer channel level is in the positive region, that means the subwoofer volume was set too low. Increase the subwoofer volume accordingly and re-run set-up.

Don´t go till max figure as it will give you error and you don´t know is it -20 or -12 (if that is max figure). Example Audussey rep has said that anything from -11.5 to lower figure is fine (-12 is out of range on D&M receivers).

SVS recommendation;

My Yamaha goes to -10db but I should be able to run ypao to reach -9.5--8.5db with out getting an error as you rush e the sub gain. The other thing is do I need to run ypao again? I have a dB meter so I'm thinking if I take a dB reading as it is now with the test tone then alter the gains, the out put will remain the same but my AVR will be lower and the xtz gain will be higher.

Last edited:
Got my beautiful new 12.17 today.......with an eu power cord. Ah well what's one more week. I will hear it. eventually.

Just get one from pc world etc. There just a normal IEC lead. Is it the edge version you bought?

Enjoy ! It is a really good sub.
Soon enough you will have to pay toll for this.....

Just get one from pc world etc. There just a normal IEC lead. Is it the edge version you bought?
Yep it is, nice one that'll save a bit of time, might get to actually hear one of these this year. Cheers.

Enjoy ! It is a really good sub.
Soon enough you will have to pay toll for this.....
Haha yeah nearly ended up being a race in the end what with me wanting to demo other subs as well, in the end just said hell to it and ordered it knowing in the back of my mind I was going to end up with this one anyway.

Just done the bass hack thing, but noticed something odd. Was using an spl meter and processor test tones to get the level right after dropping level in processor. Got each individual sub with the same output, but when playing both at the the same time the spl meter dropped slightly (about 2db) could also hear a difference. As if the subs were cancelling each out slightly??

Just done the bass hack thing, but noticed something odd. Was using an spl meter and processor test tones to get the level right after dropping level in processor. Got each individual sub with the same output, but when playing both at the the same time the spl meter dropped slightly (about 2db) could also hear a difference. As if the subs were cancelling each out slightly??
I read something on here in another thread where the same thing was happening, no idea which thread though. Does sound like what is happenening.

[/QUOTE]
Well, Popped up currys and got a 250v plug that fits perfect. Only then did I realise the toslink cable I used for the others won't go into the xtz and it's xlr or rca. And considering my avr has no xlr on the back am I going to have to use rca?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom