Question XTZ 10.17 Edge (Or any ported XTZ )- Port Noise.

Stu MSD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
Ive been doing some sound tests with REW and the Umix Mic, and the low end sweeps exaggerated an annoying noise problem and reminded me to ask you guys something about these subs.

Port noise... mines ridiculous. I keep both ports blocked because it’s clearly audible during movies.

Is that typical of the XTZ’s?

Hi Stu,
No, you should definitely NOT get chuffing from the ports .

Thanks for the reply.
Hmm... kind of hoped someone would say “Yes, they all do that”

Will upload a video of the issue.

Thanks for the reply.
Hmm... kind of hoped someone would say “Yes, they all do that”

Will upload a video of the issue.
Also, where is the gain on the sub and on the AVR. And, at what volume are you listening?

AVR at -6 db, sub at around 10 o clock position.
LPF off. Parametric EQ off. Sub EQ set to REF.
LPF On AVR Set to 80hz.

It’s not a drive power level issue, I can only think it’s a sub design issue.

This video shows me using REW to do a sweep with the AVR at -20.
The opening confirms the REW settings.

Starts at 10hz, cycles through 20 etc. port noise worst at 40hz. Silent by 50.

Last edited:
Hi Stu!

Send email to XTZ guys with the video linked and copy paste your settings which you just wrote and the volume levels etc. Mario or Olle (CEO) should be replying back for you!

[email protected]

Definitely unacceptable and I think your spot on about the design / manufacturing (Edge) being the culprit.
Return!

Yup, the French review didn´t mention any port chuffing, neither of those 3 other reviews of basic 10.17. This dude ran many different test including THD measurements and every possible port tune/eq settings, see graphs. He prefered the 10.17 slightly more over 12.17 in he`s room! Use google translator to read:
Test XTZ 10.17 et 12.17 : deux caissons de grave qui réunissent puissance et maîtrise | HDfever

First 12.17 EDGE review is out!

" Price / Performance King "

https://www.xtzsound.eu/files/reviews/sub-10-17-edge/sub-10-17-edge_5333586_File1.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks guys, will drop them a mail tomorrow.

I've watched the video, and that ceratinly isn't right.

It seems unusable. I hope you get this resolved. Have you just bought the sub recently?

I've watched the video, and that ceratinly isn't right.

It seems unusable. I hope you get this resolved. Have you just bought the sub recently?

I’ve mailed them now.

It’s not at all unusable, as long as the ports remain blocked it’s fine. And I tend to prefer them blocked as the Bass is generally more controlled and to my liking I think...

But I’ve not really tested its capabilities ported due to the damn noise! Lol.

Bought it in early January

I’ve mailed them now.

It’s not at all unusable, as long as the ports remain blocked it’s fine. And I tend to prefer them blocked as the Bass is generally more controlled and to my liking I think...

But I’ve not really tested its capabilities ported due to the damn noise! Lol.

Bought it in early January

Not good at all. By unusable, I meant without being sealed.

I hope you get a result here.

Perhaps interestingly, I’ve done some more testing with REW and it’s frequency response curve is almost identical with left port or right port open.

I wonder if a port tube or something has come loose in transit.

I've recently seen a 12.17 edge that couldn't be used without it being sealed.

It was nowhere near as bad as yours, but puffed like a train with deep bass.

Strange that there are others with the same issue.

After a lot of testing I am now certain that left and right port separately makes ZERO difference which is totally against their advertised claims to how the ports are tuned.

Will mention this to them when they reply about port noise.

Hi folks,
Ive been doing some sound tests with REW and the Umix Mic, and the low end sweeps exaggerated an annoying noise problem and reminded me to ask you guys something about these subs.

Port noise... mines ridiculous. I keep both ports blocked because it’s clearly audible during movies.

Hi folks,

Hello,

I have the same speakers and i have the same problem. But I try the setting. Right there on the amplifier you will find the first write freq if you set this to 30 you will minimise the noise. Also block the right port. Just try it and tell me if that help you.

I ordered the 10.17 Edge and now found this topic.
Makes me doubt my buy, hope mine is ok and I hope it is not a design error.
I will check for port noise and if not acceptable, I will return it.

@Stu MSD

Did you get to the bottom of this at all?

Sorry guys, it was unfair of me not to update this topic.
There is not much of an update to be honest, Ian finally got back to me after I chased them multiple times and has agreed I am ok to strip it down myself and see if there is anything untoward inside the box. (Loose baffles, / dislocated port tubes etc)

Sadly, I have not made it home before 10pm for a month or so and thus havent been able (or willing TBH) to do so.

I may try harder to rectify that this weekend as I have a rare day off!

Thanks for the update.

Good luck, I hope you're able to rectify the issue.

Run the test again with eq1 and see what happens.

Sorry guys, it was unfair of me not to update this topic.
There is not much of an update to be honest, Ian finally got back to me after I chased them multiple times and has agreed I am ok to strip it down myself and see if there is anything untoward inside the box. (Loose baffles, / dislocated port tubes etc)

Sadly, I have not made it home before 10pm for a month or so and thus havent been able (or willing TBH) to do so.

I may try harder to rectify that this weekend as I have a rare day off!

Have you made any progress?

Sorry pal, no.
Motorsport season is crazy for me, it’s rare I can even turn on a TV, let alone think of stripping my AV system down.

:(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom