XTZ’s 89 Sats :Anyone using these as rears?

Dazzor

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I’m about to get a pair of 99.25’s as fronts and whilst I’m at it I may opt for these as rears. The entire bookshelf 99-range are just too big for me to act as rears.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.:thumbsup:

Also, has anyone partnered a pair of 99.25 as fronts with another manufacturer for rears?

From the imagery on their site I’m not too keen on the finish of the XTZ 89’s. Don’t get me wrong, sonic performance is paramount but aesthetics are a factor.

Like I mentioned at the start, I ideally want to keep the size down for the rears. Size-wise the 89’s are about as big as I want to go, (166x290x274 WxHxD)

Also, has anyone partnered a pair of 99.25 as fronts with another manufacturer for rears?
Both myself and AngelEyes are running M&K tri-pole surrounds with our XTZs. For movies and assuming there's no drastic restrictions about wall mounting, then bi/di/tri-pole speakers are superb.

Because surround/rear speakers tend to be mounted so differently to the front speakers, they tend to sound quite different, even if they're the same speaker. Thus, there is less of a tonal matching issue between brands or types of speaker.

Russell

Cheers Russ,

Which particular model of M&K are you referring to? Done a quick google and there's quite a few... The M4T's perhaps?

I know nadda about MK other than they're well respected for HT and A-eye's likes them more than you do.:)

I'm already well over budget but can't resist going that extra mile and getting at least a 4.1 set-up for now. (SVS SB12plus on order):D

Yes the MT4 / 24T / K4 model´s will be just fine..or do buy them used if your on a litmed budget

im using the K4 in a similar setup.. 99.36 - K4
Henrik

Last edited:
Thanks Henrik,

I'll check these out, second hand would be very useful as I really don't want to spend more than £250 on the rears. The K4’s appear to be discontinued.

The XTZ 89’s are only £120 inc shipping, so I’m really tempted to just add them to my 99.25 order. At that money I can always upgrade later and use the 89’s elsewhere.

Update for anyone interested:

I've decided to go for a pair SVS's SBS-01's. They seem really good value and reportedly "punch above their price range" At this money they'll do for now, can always relegate them to the bedroom/conservatory as and when I upgrade.

Anyone out there using XTZ's 99.25's with SBS-01's?

Well spotted, actually they are a bit smaller but not much. :rolleyes:

Bottom line is I gave way to reviews on here, the vfm factor of the 01's and the fact I didn't think a small-box option would give me the performance, well not for £155 anyway.

I was considering the Quad L ITES or maybe the Quad 92L's, I'm still not sure, might call subsonic tomorrow and cancel my order, I'm going slowly round the bend with all this.:suicide:

Well it's a pity size is the problem, because I have the 99.25's doing my front and center duties, with the 93WMT's as the rears and they do a great job.

Sevenoaks are doing a a few speakers in the their clearance section, At the moment there are monitor audio radius R90's and R225's for sale for under a £150.

Or else keep an eye on ebay and the classifieds here, you sometimes get great bargains.

Which particular model of M&K are you referring to? Done a quick google and there's quite a few... The M4T's perhaps?
I'm using M&K Xenon Surround 25 tripoles plus a single LCR25 at the rear. AngelEyes uses the awsome M&K column surrounds (Google them, but they're no longer made:() and and a pair of LCR36s as rears.

The M4Ts look to be the best value in the current range and even look like a decent visual match to the XTZs.

Russell

Cheers Russ/Reaper,

I called Subsonic and deferred my order, those guys are really helpful, can't sing their praises enough:clap::thumbsup:

If I wall-mount size isn't so much of a problem, however it would mean placing the rears well above ear-level and pointing them downwards. Is that an acceptable thing to do without too much sonic compromise? (The SB-01's would still look fairly imposing though I think)

From what I can see online, any M&K option's are just too much money for me at the moment(been looking in the classified section too but no go), I've currently ordered a pio 5090, Yam Z7, SB12plus and a pair of XTZ 99.25, after that lot I'm reluctant to blow much more than £200 on rears. (For now anyway:D)

I like the idea of the Radius R90 or 180 and I know this next question comes under the "subjective" category but how would you say either of these perform in retrospect the SB-01's as rears? (Demo's for this just ain't going to happen)

i got a almost brand new pair of K4 @ £160

i think there was a pair a 200£ not long agow brand new.. 200£ used should bring you a set of M&K tripoles, if i were you , i´ll make a wanted add in the speaker section, and maby a set will drop in your hands very soon...

if your lucky thise k4 ´s brand new are still up for sale :
http://www.avforums.com/forums/spea...s/891708-sale-m-k-k4-tripoles-black-bnib.html

just addd the 200£ to spend and has to be in good condition.

i ll bet "hopefuly" a few days and you will have a set... one of the tripole M&K range

i must say that tripole did it for me vs normal front bafel speakers the surr sound it much better in my setup now....

Henrik

Last edited:
Thanks Hendrik,

I'll place a wanted add and see what happens. From what everyone is saying bi/di/tri-poles are the way forward, smaller and wall-mount-friendly.:smashin:

yes and they can be mounted high on the wall too, so they are out of sight...

did you try that add, he says they are brand new..

:D

Also picked up a pair of M&K K4's from the classifieds recently, great little speakers especially for the price they seem to go for :smashin:

I'm on it guys, especially of I can do it for £200.

I must say, the good folk on this site are brilliant:clap:

Cheers
D

:D

Wow you've already got a pair offered on your wanted ad.

Now that is fast!! :rotfl:

I'm on it guys, especially of I can do it for £200.

I must say, the good folk on this site are brilliant:clap:

Cheers
D

Yeah this site is the best when looking for help.

Good luc with your advert, hope you can get the M&K speakers that you want :thumbsup:

Aye, super quick :eek:, some have all the luck, your gonna enjoy them......:):D

/Henrik

I know, couldn't believe my luck when I logged back on. :D

I've confirmed that I want them, but not had a reply yet, I'm worried someone will slyly PM the owner and try guzzumping me. That's not allowed is it?:confused:

Perhaps I'm being impatient, I'm sure it'll be fine:)

Update: The chap's just called me after I PM'd him, he lives about 5 minutes away, I really can't believe me luck. :D

Again, thanks guys for the advice, you've done me proud:smashin:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom