Xtreamer MK1 / SideWinder died last night, now whats next

trady

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As title says, my 3 year old Xtreamer Mk1 is not doing his duties any-more. Due to what I would say is a construction failure the optical sound socket broke and the cable wont stay in place.

Now, my big questions is whats next? I have been reading page up and page down in the forum, and I guess the upside of a forum like this is also its curse - its just SO much information that I am more confused after 5 hours here than I was before I came in.

My setup, that has been working perfectly for my needs was the MK1 connected to a synology NAS for streaming 1080p movies, full stop. I never used it for web streaming or any other features, not even the scraping as I never got it to work.

My new device should do the same, and if possible sort the IMDB scraping as well.
I thought of an Apple TV as laptop, iphone and ipad are already in place, but from what I understand apple tv 2 wont stream in full 1080p, and apple tv 3 isnt jailbroken yet so I cant use it with the synology.

I also though of getting another xtreamer, but its well confusing with all the options. I dont need a device that can hold HDD, the Synology does this job. Neither do I need a device that plays Blue-ray....

As a last possibility I could pick up another Mk1 from ebay for £20, but I guess much have happened since 2010, so maybe its a good time to upgrade?

Can also buy something 2nd hand if it makes sense, but I dont want to spend several hundreds on a device....

Cheers,
trady

Have you looked at WDTV live streaming media player? You can pick up a brand new one for £65 and some used ones go for £40-£45 in the classified section. It has an inbuilt scrapper which will pull your metadata from imdb & tvdb
It will play your 1080p movies smoothly and you can also use your iphone/ipad as a remote by downloading the WDTV remote app.

Lastly, just incase you want change your mind and your interested in online streaming, it also has netflix and bbc iplayer app

Wdtv live as above, use twonky-beam to play you tube videos and stuff from your iPad and phone on the wdtv, and if they are jail broken, use xbmc app.

Have you looked at WDTV live streaming media player? You can pick up a brand new one for £65 and some used ones go for £40-£45 in the classified section. It has an inbuilt scrapper which will pull your metadata from imdb & tvdb
It will play your 1080p movies smoothly and you can also use your iphone/ipad as a remote by downloading the WDTV remote app.

Lastly, just incase you want change your mind and your interested in online streaming, it also has netflix and bbc iplayer app

Sounds all good, and also prise wise this seems to be a bargain.... Unfortunately moved away from the UK, so bbc iplayer isn't working any more as far as I know due to IP restrictions, but always good to have if ever moving back.

Wdtv live as above, use twonky-beam to play you tube videos and stuff from your iPad and phone on the wdtv, and if they are jail broken, use xbmc app.

Thanks for the tip, they are not jailbroken at the moment, but not an impossibility that they will be in the future, so good to know what to use.

Any stuff that I should be aware of that it cant do? For example I saw that some streamers can do DTS but not other formats when it comes to sounds. I never had to think about this with my old MK1, and would rather dont have to think about it going forward.
Any issues with subtitles?

This may well be what I was looking after.... Does it work with airplay as well?

Cheers,
t

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom