1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xtra virgin olive oil

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by celtic13, Mar 4, 2003.

1. celtic13

celtic13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Sitting here, glass of Italian plonk, 6 months a lurker, finally plucked up courage to post - feel as if I know you all already, Kramer, theritz etc! Hope I can contribute something constuctive....eventually!

Like Don Corleone and his xtra virgin olive oil company Genco, I am thinking of going into the import business and getting a projector from the states...HS 10 or Panny l300u. I am thinking of getting my brother to buy it and post it to me he lives in the Lone Star State and can source one quite easily.

Seems to me a lot cheaper that way. Spoke to Panny UK and they say that its no probs getting it repaired after initial warranty, if - god forbid, it goes belly up.

So, what are the pitfalls, do I pay vat? warranty? return to the states for repair? Is it worth the risk? A very general question I know but hey xtra virgin, first post.

Have my HC room decorated and fixed up in six weeks so thats the time scale.

Any advice would be brill...

2. Dannykos

Dannykos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i nearly imported an ae100 - was going for $1000 - but after checking with HM Customs - there's no duty to pay - but the standard 17.5% VAT, plus the shipping cost worked out to be not really worth all the extra hassle.

i'm sure there's many a happy importer out there ready to contradict me but then - thats the point of being here eh?!

3. celtic13

celtic13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    This may seem like a stupid question, but does vat apply if my brother buys it out there and then posts it to me? Some people would call that second hand goods!!!

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Celtic13,

Welcome to the Forums ! :hiya:

Can't really answer your question directly about imports, though it's probable that if your brother bought it and marked it as a gift, you might get away with it - got some stuff from an aunt in Austrailia recently and IIRC the customs label has to be marked with a value - so it would require your brother to make a decision......:blush:

How much would an AE300 cost you landed in NI, out of interest ?? Have you compared with cost from Pricejapan - that's where Comer got his - check his posts for cost.

Keep us posted on developments, even if you're not going to be yet another AE100 owner !!!

All the best,

Sean G.

5. celtic13

celtic13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Reputable dealer in the US will do the l300u/ae300 for $1850 including running it for 5hrs to doa pixel check before shipping. At todays rate works out at £1169 or 1700Euro a fair bit cheaper than prospective European prices! DHL to belfast is about £100.

If its bought out there by a relative is vat applicable...what way does ebay work? Can the same apply, i.e. do customs regard it as 2nd hand?

Given the chequered history of the ae100 does anybody know if there is a psu prob with this projector?

Ta

P

6. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    celtic i've got £'s burning a hole in my pocket for one of these ae300's or an hs10 - who is the dealer mate and what is their web address?
    Cheers
    Rick

7. celtic13

celtic13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Rick, don't know if forum rules allow me to post that info so I'll pm you with the biz

P

8. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Celtic.

The AE300 is now listed on a European web site for €2099 + €40 delivery to Ireland.

So €1700 + £100 delivery + VAT etc..... from the US. Doesn't look such a good deal now.

BTW, a value must be declared on imports & DHL are 99.99% sure to collect the VAT due. Trust me, I'm a doctor ;)

Example:

An Irish girl returned from the US to get married & live here. She had a wedding shower in the US before she left & so had all her gifts shipped here.

She had to pay > €600 import duty/VAT. This is a fact!

:smashin:

9. celtic13

celtic13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Kramer...the famous Kramer? the infamous Kramer!!! replying to only my fourth post! I am humbled!!!!

:D

Thanks for me making me welcome....

Typical just when I thought I had this sussed its back to the drawing board. Ah well thats half the fun I suppose!
    this european website sounds like it needs some exploration - any hints?

Mind you, have to keep checking xchange rates, as sometimes these things drop like a stone in Yankeeland

10. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome Celtic....with sugar on top :D

I wouldn't recommend them to my arch enemy. Been there, done that.......have the tattered T-shirt :nono:

I'm not going to give them any free publicity here either, but they're German!

It's a good indication of the likely on-line price of the AE300 in the UK though.

;)

11. celtic13

celtic13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Think I get the picture....words "avoid" and "plague" come to mind! Looks like the xtra virgin olive oil might have to be bought in supervalue or tesco now. Not quite as exotic!

Anyway have to wait about 6 weeks until room is ready so hopefully will have an oportunity to audition Panny beside HS 10 and see if the xtra dosh is worth it.