XTE 2005 Master plate problems

BoyFonz

Standard Member
Hi, I'm hoping someone who knows a lot about BT phone sockets will be able to help me out here. I live on the first floor of a house that was converted into two flats. I have one BT socket, and it is split in to two sections - the bottom half is where I can plug my phone in, the top half is blank. I thought this was my master socket and I was safe to buy an XTE2005 faceplate and replace the bottom half.

When I removed the bottom half, there were no exposed wires for me to use. I had a peek in the master socket and I discovered my BT socket looks like this:

http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/images/NTE5_OR_rear.jpg

Except a slightly different colour, but that's the closest image I've found.

Now, the trouble is, I only have two wires connected in my socket. From the wall, there is an orange one connected to one of the two screws at the top of the image, and a white one to the other screw.

I don't have any wires connected to the 2,3,4 and 5 points.

The instructions for the XTE2005 all say to remove the wires from the old 2,3,4, and 5 points and attach them to the XTE2005.

I also have two unused wires: one green and one black.

Is there any way I can fit the XTE 2005 to my socket?

I'm new here so please give me a hand if you can and forgive any mistakes I've made.

smjxm09

Nothing wrong there. You just have a master socket with no extension wiring. Just replace the top half and don't worry about the lack of wiring as the line is under the screw terminals

BoyFonz

Standard Member
Oh cool, I wondered if that was a possibility - seemed too simple! I'll give it a go and confirm if it works or not.

mike.hutch

Only problem is your not going to gain anything by fitting the new faceplate as there are no extensions on the line. Unless your original filter was faulty of course.

BoyFonz

Standard Member
Yep, correct on both accounts I think. It seems to have worked, but isn't noticeably faster. Still a bit neater though, so I'm happy.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom