1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XTC - Any fans here?

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Dear Mr Echo, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Dear Mr Echo

Dear Mr Echo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    XTC are one of the UK's deeply unappreciated (commercially at any rate) rock treasures.
    Although I'm fast approaching 40 I have only been listening to them 'properly' for the last seven years or so. Prior to that I just had singles compilations.
    Anymore fans of this brilliant band on these Forums?

2. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My name is Nigel,and I think thats how I got into them,by enjoying Making Plans for Nigel in 197?.I enjoyed their later releases on 45rpm singles.Most had a gimmick.Sgt Rock had a comic book style poster with it,and Generals and Majors had another single with some great tracks on it.There was a great double album in the 80's with one full of their singles and the other had lots of B sides.Although I have not searched thoroughly,I think the greatest hits cd that I have does not cover B sides.
    BBC2 did some kind of all night rockathon in the early 80's including a screening of American Graffitti.Part of this night was a 40-50 minute documentary that went into the studio with XTC as they created their latest album.I have never seen it repeated,but would like too.Are they still going?

3. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    The current set of digital remasters (with bonus tracks, 'B' sides etc.) sound superb. A fab band. :thumbsup:

4. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I've got a Primus cover of 'Making plans for nigel', it's different!

Only heard a few XTC songs, but really like what I've heard.

5. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Dear Mr Echo

Got all the albums, solo stuff too :thumbsup:

Absolutely brilliant but could do with Dave Gregory back :lease:

6. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im 43 .........i remember xtc...great band ....saw them at the bowl in redcar 1978,

7. Stephen J Jones

Stephen J Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another big fan here. Never saw them live, but always loved their earlier singles on the radio (though never bought them). Heard their new album in 1992 'Nonsuch' and knew they were the musical love of my life. Then they went on strike from their label for 7 years so I had plenty of time to catch up with their back catalog. Finally they came back with Apple Venus Volume 1, IMO their best yet, and it sold about 3 copies. :confused:
    Since the follow up to that they've gone quiet, though Andy Partridge seems busy clearing out his cupboards and releasing demo albums on his own label, along with signing other artists.
    Yes, I also wish Dave Gregory would rejoin. A reliant Robin needs three wheels, a stool needs three legs, and XTC needs Andy, Colin & Dave.
    OK, fanboy rant over. :blush:

8. Dear Mr Echo

Dear Mr Echo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes XTC are still very much alive and while they may not be kicking at the moment at least their feet are still tapping. I also think getting Dave back would be a good move - the last two albums, as good as they are, feel too divided between Andy and Colin's songs - Dave provided a good middle ground between the two on previous albums so that it sounded like 'a band' rather than 2 songwriters. I think also Andy and Colin's songwriting styles have veered off in quite different directions over the last few years. There was a reunion of sorts earlier this year when The Dukes of Stratosphear were resurrected for the charity album The Wish List. Andy wrote a new song "Open A Can Of Human Beings" and it was recorded with all the Dukes present but not all at the same time! As far as I understand it the tension is between Dave and Colin rather than with Andy... so who knows what has gone on there!?!

Andy has been spending a great deal of time and energy on his Ape label. He started the label after Colin wanted to drop out of doing the Fuzzy Warbles discs. There are two more Fuzzy Warbles (5&6) available very, very soon. Andy also recorded the interesting Orpheus:The Lowdown album with Peter Blegvad and wrote (and performed) the theme tune for the shortlived US TV series Wonderfalls. Ape's first non Andy product has been an album called The Secret Life of The Milk and Honey Band... which is brilliant and I would urge anyone to get hold of a copy. Next up seems to be the Dublin band Pugwash who are also very, very good from what I have heard.

For anyone interested there are 2 websites...
    www.xtcidearecords.co.uk and www.ape.uk.net

9. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    I always thought that Colin's songs were the gems of the albums but now they are all sounding to similar and really miss Daves musicianship. APple Venus Vol.1 was really good but Wasp Star was a let-down. Homespun and Homegrown were far too similar.

Dave has spent some of his time playing with Steve Hogarth's (Marillion) H Band and they have done one studio album and one double live album which are both worth checking out. They have also done a couple of tours, mainly in Europe.

10. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    I've recently bought a remastered CD of White Music which is my favourite XTC era. All my XTC music was bought originally on cassette so it's long overdue an upgrade. If you've not heard this album, it has an interesting version of All Along The Watchtower.