XS34... Took th plunge.. a bit mixed about performance?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ABP, May 2, 2005.

1. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok All,

Took the plunge. I got the XS34. So far so good. I find the manual a little difficult to follow but DVD Recording it is all new so it is the terms used that can be confusing (Chapter & play list got confused so this did create a problem editing)

Just A couple of things so far i have not been impressed with is :-

1: The noise from the thing is considerable, I thought the central heating pump was on... is this normal?

2: The edits i have tried cause the playback to hesitate for 1/2 second on playback. I expected them to be instant and/or smooth... Are all recorders like this?

3: LP Recording is RUBBISH. Maybe i expected more but the resolution drop is obvious and the picture does go very soft.

For the above reasons i was tempted to take the thing back. I asked the people at LE Concepts if the recordings at LP were any better on the EH50 and he said NO it was just Hype and you just have to have a compromise somewhere when the recording is being compressed so much... Is this true ( Sounds reasonable)

Any Help/Advice is much appreciated

AB-P

2. kdp99

kdp99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have the X32, and also a Panasonic HS2 and a Pioneer 5100, I would observe

1) The picture quality on theTosh is very good until it drops the frame resolution (around 2hrs 15 mins) then it become poor compared to other machines.

2) There is a very wide varience in HDD noise, from silent to motor bike level.

Keith

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    The Panasonic EH50 does offer an improvement at LP mode (or anywhere under 4hrs). However the lower the bitrate the worse the picture will be. If I were you I would avoid archiving more than a couple of hours per DVDR anyway - personally I try to keep it to 90mins or less - although obviously that isn't always possible.

4. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    IIRC on Pioneer units there is a setting to prevent the pauses at edit points. Otherwise AFAICS many recorders exhibit this behaviour.

If there's nothing in the manual about it, then the only alternative is to edit the recordings on a PC.

5. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have no noise issue on my XS34. Naturally the fan does produce noise but unless the room is completely silent it's not noticable. Some people have had noise issues and other's have had none. There may well be variances between machines though the physical environment, placement and subjective sensitivity may also have an affect. The other issue may be your expectations since no other piece of AV equipment has the fan and HD. It's much more like a PC in a slim box than a dvd player so it'll never be silent.

The edits are seamless with no delay.

With LP you are correct though having looked at all the competitor's LP modes I quickly decided that none provide an acceptable option. IIRC the EH50 was noticeably better but it was still not useable in any real sensel. I don't know anyone who used LP on VHS and for the life of me I can't see why anyone would use it on one of these recorders, especially when you see the quality of SP. With 160gb HD you aren't exactly pushed for space so I'd leave it on SP.

6. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I will leave it on SP bur if i convert a film 2 1/2 hours the picture is dissapointing.
    Maybe i was expecting too much?
    Edits do hesitate though
    Fan is very noisy

7. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, if you're converting 2.5 hours then it's going to be a bitch, though as I say the performance of all the machines in LP wasn't anything that I'd be happy watching for any length of time.

The edits I can't explain. I'd edited the ads out of Supersize Me and watching it last night it was seamless and unfaltering.

I can't comment on other models as it's impossible to compare in a shop setting though both shops remarked that they were all much of a muchness noisewise. If the fan noise is clealry audible in normal AV use then that is unusual and unacceptable.

I think the great expectations that any of these machines will be perfect in every respect sets us up for disappointment if we perceive a deficit in any regard. As it's still such a new market I reckon that we have to manage our expectations and develop our own compromises and workarounds. Fortunately they're not expensive purchases and in a few years will be junked or consigned to the kid's room. FWIW crappy remote control aside, I couldn't be happier with the purchase.

I hope that you manage to sort it out.

8. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder are we talking about a different thing with these edit pauses? I've edited out ads, dubbed the stuff I want to keep, then play the title and there's no pauses. Are we talking at cross purposes as I'm almost totally sure that I'm neither bright nor competent anough to have stumbled across some trick?

My family didn't know what I was talking about when I asked them if they'd noticed the noise so if your wife, unprompted confused it with a central heating pump then either you've got a stealth pump or an unusually loud machine.

9. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I’ve also never noticed a pause with edits (on the XS32), though I’ve seen others report them.

I thought maybe they are really short, and I just don’t notice them – especially as usually there is a fade out between programme and adverts, so if there was a slight pause at the join I may not notice…

Mark

10. atki driver

atki driver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a Xs30 for over a year if xs 34 is anything like I would recomend it over a Panny because My Mothers DMR85 has can easily be left in a state that timer recording wil not be carried out.
    The xs30 is more or less bombproof at carrying timer recordings out

Only thing missing is an EPG & automatic naming of recorded programes.

11. jessmith

jessmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have got X34, again very minimal noise, and no problem with editing pauses or skips, are you deleting sections such as adverts from the original and then copying? If so try going via the playlist editing route (page 95 of manual) this will also have benefits in terms of continuous disc space.
    With regard to LP options, the fact is that the system is deliberatly not recording in full detail, the better your DVD playback facility and display is the worse it will look. It's the same with a real high end HiFi, it makes some poor recordings unlistenable. Best forgotten, although probably OK for older TV programmes etc.