XS34 black screen with sound

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by alan8477, Oct 8, 2005.

1. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Had my XS34 for about 6 weeks now. Very pleased with it. Great flexibility and recording quality.

However, once or twice, having set up the timer to record from SKY (AV2), I find it has recorded the programme with sound but no picture. I must have recorded a hundred programmes with no problem. I always use the satellite control facility, and find it to be very reliable. After it has recorded with a blank screen, it stays with a blank screen.

NB I never turn off my XS34, the timer is activated from the 'on' state.

Any thoughts?

2. pilotsnipes

pilotsnipes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very strange, I've recoreded literaly 100's of programs now with the xs34 and not one of them has shown this problem.

Perhaps, by fluke, the programs being transmitted by the TV companies were sent out without any picture? Long shot though I admitt.

3. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the reply. It's definitely at my end, because after such a recording my Sky box is displaying blank when I go back to it hours later to check the recording. The picture reappears when I put the EPG on. This suggests it is not a cable problem or a transmission problem?

4. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,962
    Is the output from the Sky box in the right format (RGB I assume) ? I know that this can change without you knowing you've changed it if you press a certain key on the Sky remote.

5. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think it could be something to do with that John. I have Sky input through AV2 RGB. I output to my plasma from the XS34 with component. I wonder whether a particular sequence might confuse the XS34.

6. monocrider

monocrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you press the "TV" key on the Sky remote it switches off the RGB output, you have to press the "Sky" button to get in back on.

It's a annoying "feature" of the Sky box, and in the past has caused me to get the same results as you on my XS32.

Hope this helps.

rgards,
    John

7. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes same as the above.
    You must turn off your TV with the TV remote or the XS34 Remote as selecting TV on the SKY remote will revert the output to Pal and if as i assume you have RGB out of SKY to RGB in on your XS34 you will get the sound but no picture as you describe when you record.

AB-P

8. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Guys, that will be what it is. My wife always uses the Sky remote to turn off the TV in our bedroom. You always get the answer on this forum.

9. stormjai

stormjai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    trying to decide on DVD recorder. From U Tosh XS34 users, is it

user friendly
    easy to edit from camcorder footage
    keep chapters and thumbnails on transfer to DVD

any annoying features?
    every recorder seems to have some "fault"...!! :(

Ta

Jai

10. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I love it, but then I bought one. When you know what it is capable of it is an awesome machine. In terms of basic recording I am sure it is very straight forward. But if you really want to use it to the full you will have to invest time and effort.

11. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great Machine my only gripe is the fan noise and the 2Hr20 min full res recording which seems a bit mean by Panasonics 4Hr full res.

Great func is the SAT MON that lets you loop the scarts without loosing the input from your telly when in record standby etc

AB-P