1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XS32 - trouble titling discs and date format

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jeff9999, Jan 18, 2005.

1. jeff9999

jeff9999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba XS32 - lovely machine but.....

1. When I first record a program to the hard disc it refuses to let me re-title the recording from the time it was made to what I want to call it. I have found that if swich the machine off and on (doesn't always work) or record something else it will usually unlock the title but not always. it will let me into Nav and enter the details and works fine until I press save and it changes to the Nav screen where it still shows the recording time instead of what I wanted to call it. Very frustrating if you have spent a couple of minutes going through the on screen keyboard. Eventually as other things are recorded it will allow the title on previous recordings to be changed. This is an intermittent problem and I wonder if I am doing something wrong or pressing a wrong key?

2. Why is has title bar in the nav screen edit title got two bars with left hand lines?

3 How do i chage the date of the recording from American format to Uk format i.e from month / day to day / month?

Any thoughts? ..............Thanks :lease:

2. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sounds very strange, I have no problems changing the title at any time.

I tend to select title in content menu. Press quick menue, select title information, Press quick menue and edit title.

Is there any chance your titles are protected/locked... not sure if that would stop you changing the titile.
    Also when you edit the title do you delete the start time information in the title?

3. kdp99

kdp99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have had the problem changing the title, 2 or 3 times in 8 months. It lets me change the title, but does not apply the change. I have found a power on and off sorts it out.

My sister has the same machine and has had the problem once. A friend also has it and uses it more than me and has never had the problem.

I have just writen the problem off as an odd occurance

Keith

4. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    What SDHoward said.

If you press quick menu once, it does look as though there is an option to change the title name within the first menu, but it doesn't seem to stick.

If you go into the 'title information' sub-menu and then change the name, then it does permanently alter.

5. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    The 2 bars are to indicate roughly where the line ends when displayed so you can pad the text

6. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's recording a program it will lock it down, so that's prolly why you cant rename it - you have to wait until it's finished recording (or it's left the time-slip buffer)

When you switch the machine off, it dumps all recordings from the buffer and releases the locks - that' why it lets you do it then

You should have an option to flush the buffer (without switching off) - then you can rename it

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Rubbish! The Toshiba is not a Philips Jethro! Giving advice as though it is cannot be the way forward ;) The Toshiba does not have a "timeslip buffer" because it uses VR mode which records a single .VRO file whilst recording which is accessed at the point that is being recorded and played and are loaded into memory for the instant before they are played (the Toshiba has the equivalent of 4MB of RAM!). The original posters problems have absolutely NOTHING to do with this memory or any "timeslip buffer". To answer his points:

1) This is a minor glitch that can sometimes be cured by formatting the HDD. If you get it more than occasionally you might want to consider getting a replacement machine.

2) Already answered by nunew33.

3) AFAIK you can't - although TBH I have never tried.

8. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not rubbish - nothing to do with Philips either - it's how dos systems (and every single Hdd) handle open files - "time slip buffer", "VRMode", ".VRO" - they're just throw away names for the same thing - you're obviuosly under the impression that Philips stores '6 hours time-slip' in a chip - that be helluva chip but alas nope, it's merely a temporary file on HD (as per every-single HDD incl Tosh), it's opened for 'random access', which means it can be accessed anywhere along it - whilst it is open for random access it will lock-you-out - you cant rename it / delete it whilst it's locked - that's not to say you cant rename something 'within' it - but it 'may' - apologies to jeff9999 for reaching the wrong conclusion

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Jethro,

No I'm not. As I stated in my original post the Philips uses the DVD-Video file format on the HDD which is why you have the limitations on Timeslip you have. It's really not hard to understand: most recorders have licenced VR mode, Philips haven't so use DVD-Video file format which is why they are crippled as digital recorders. Plain and simple.

If your not sure why this is my I suggest you do a search on the file structure of DVD-Video, what it was originally designed for and why VR was created to overcome those limitations. I think if you do this you'll start to see why so many of us think the Philips are very poor HDD/DVD recorders.

Everything you said when giving 'advice' to the original poster was wrong. I call that rubbish! Totally inapplicable rubbish at that! A "timeslip buffer" causing the problems mentioned - I really do not know whether to laugh or cry at the suggestion.

10. jeff9999

jeff9999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you to all who contributed.

Finally, can someone tell me where I find the menu to format the hard drive?

Thanks

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Management Settings/HDD Format