1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XS32 Sat Control

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dpluxor, Feb 10, 2005.

1. dpluxor

dpluxor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, does anyway have any advice on the best way to mount the IR transmitter for the Sat control. I had an intermittent problem yesterday while testing it where if I had selected the S for a Sat Timer Recording and put in channel 104 for example, I watched it put the one in, then it did the four. Obviously entered 14 into a Sky box does nothing except disappears and leaves you on the existing channel.

I find the IR thing a bit of a stupid design, obviously the received in the box points horizontal at the user sitting on the sofa, so to lay the IR from the XS32 flat doesnt work at all as its transmitter points straight up to the ceiling, I tried this and got nothing. You cant even mount the IR vertically cos someone decided to bring the wire out of the bottom. The one on my old philips was actually pointing at 45 degrees and worked a treat. I cant get my head round this one, if I was to stick it vertically to the Sky box, am I right on thinking that a) it could be too close and b) the Sky remote signal would not get through

Thanks

David

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I have mine horizontally, right in front of my Freeview box, and it has never missed a digit. But it might be bouncing off the shelf above and back down… I guess you just need to experiment.

Mark

3. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have mine laid out on top of the box, overhanging the edge directly above the IR receiver light. It seems to work fine.

4. monocrider

monocrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a cheap Sky "magic-eye" off Ebay which I connected up to the back of the sky box, then zip-tied the maic eye and IR transmitter together.

So far this has worked flawlessly, plus it's all hidden round the back of the Sky box

Regards,
    John

5. dpluxor

dpluxor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mmm interesting, so does this bypass the IR receiver on the front and send commands directly to the Sky Box from round the back through an electrical connection

David

6. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It still goes via an IR receiver, but that receiver is connected to the 2nd aerial output at the back and is powered from the box via the aerial lead. It's something I had considered, but I already have one in use in another room and am not sure if you can have two magic eyes on there.

7. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thread hijack - the 2 magic eyes question is one I would be interested in the answer to :)

8. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry for hijack. Have answered by looking at Sky+ section. Am suitably chastised for "off topic" posting.

In case the other enquirer is interested you need a splitter (about £12) then you can use two magic eyes.