1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XS32 - High-Speed Dubbing

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AVFan7667, Dec 31, 2004.

1. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the difference between Dubbing and High-Speed Dubbing on the Tosh XS32?

I am referring to HDD to DVD-R(W) dubbing.

Does it actually burn to the disc any quicker (and if so why)?

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    High speed dubbing is a bit for bit transfer without mpeg2 re-encoding and can therefore take place at higher speeds.

Dubbing involves additional work by the mpeg encoder to re-encode and further compress material which otherwise wouldn't fit on a single DVD.
    This has to be in real time.

3. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So for dumping stuff to -RW to watch later and then either delete or dump back to HDD for burning to -R I could use High-Speed Dubbing?

And for archiving my final items to DVD-R I would use Standard Dubbing?

Is this right?

If High-Speed is a bit-for-bit transfer and Standard re-encodes does Standard reduce the quality?

Thanks

4. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Use high speed whenever practical, as you are correct, any dub that re-encodes may affect quality.

The only time I re-encode is if I am downsizing something to fit onto a disk. I think (??) that there is no point in re-encoding to a higher bit rate, and in fact, from memory, the on screen display says that somewhere.

5. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have a couple of questions too regarding real time vs high speed dubbing:

1. I did a rate conversion dub of the three kings (off satellite) so that it would fit onto a single disc. This happened in realtime and I noticed that I lost all my chapters.

Can rate conversion dubbing be done at high speed?

Would a high speed dub using 2 discs have preserved chapters?

2. With regards to using the automatic bitrate setting for something to fit onto a disc, does it "turn down" the bitrate just enough to fit onto the disc or does it jump down to the next lowest setting eg from 4.6 to 2.8?

What I'm getting at is: if a movie is say 10 percent too long to fit onto a single disc, by choosing the rate conversion option, will it simply be compressed by 10%? Is the whole movie compressed by 10% or is it smart enough to only compress certain parts of the movie depending on the amount of motion taking place etc.

6. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Rate conversion dubbing is always realtime

You loose the chapters on rate conversion dubbing but not high speed, so if you'd dubbed onto two disks you would have kept the chapters.

I'm not sure about the compression, but on of the compression options does allow for vatiable rate compression 'high rate save' but I think thats only when your using 9.2 Mbps....

7. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Thanks. Another thing: as mentioned on another thread, I did a DV recording onto DVD RAM from my sony digital camcorder. I was unable to change the bitrate for DVD from the MN2.8 setting. The HDD was set to SP4.6. I tried getting into AV record quality and entered the SP setting for DVD but it didn't change. What am I doing wrong?