XS32 HDD question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Teamscoop, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Teamscoop

Teamscoop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks! I'm new to the wonderful world of HDD and DVD recording and have a question about my Tosh RD-XS32SB (Incidently what is the difference to the RD-XS32?). I'm happily timeshifting TV onto the HDD and, once viewed, deleting the episode. Is this OK to keep doing this? I noticed something in the manual about deleting small sections may make the HDD "unhappy". Is it referring to what I'm doing? :rolleyes:

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    The XS32B is just the UK model.

What you are doing is fine. What they are recommending is that for example if you are editing out the adverts, rather than delete the segments with the adverts, you create a new playlist with the bits you want. Deleting a title is not an issue. (I guess if you created a lot of programmes 1 minute long it might be…).

Mark

3. Teamscoop

Teamscoop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Mark!

4. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I do the same thing.. but I am a little worried about what will happen after time.
    Say you record something that lasts 35 minutes. you the record something that lasts an hour. you then delete the 35 minute program and record something that lasts 30 minutes. This means that unless they are using some complicated strategy you now have a hole of 5 minutes .... hmm

5. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    For a HDD to be useful, you need to delete things, and add new things. This will cause some defragmentation, you can’t avoid that. Deleting little bits like adverts makes it worse, this can be avoided. Generally a HDD can cope with quite a lot of defragmentation without problems. If you start to see problems, then reformat the HDD (use some DVD-RAMs to backup and restore any titles you need to keep).

Mark

6. Jungle

Jungle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the PC world you can defragment the HD without reformating it. Can we defragment the HD instead of reformating the the HD on the XS32?

7. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    No, there is no defrag utility.

In the PC world, where you have lots of software installed etc, reformatting a disk and recovering is difficult. With a HDD recorder, it is just files you need to copy.

Mark