XS32 - HDD and DVD playback problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Matthew Attoe, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

I've had my XS32 for about six months now and have had no problems with it until recently.

I was watching a recording on the HDD on Wednesday, which I had recorded from Sky, and there was a lot of picture break-up which I initially thought was a Sky fault. However, if you skip back and watch the same part again the break-up isn't there, so I guess that rules Sky out as otherwise the break-up would be in the same place each time and I'd be able to see it on a frame-by-frame basis.

Today, I was watching a dvd-r (a Datasafe G04) and that too was breaking-up. I thought it was a bit odd as i hadn't had any problems with these discs before so I popped in an original, pressed disc that I know I haven't had any problems with before and that had some break-up too. Not as much as the dvd-r - but saying that I only watched about 5 mins of the original disc, the dvd-r i watched for about 90 mins.

So, does it sound like my XS32 is faulty? And if so what do you think is causing the problem?

Thanks and Merry Christmas,

Matthew

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I suggest the first thing to do is make sure all the scarts are firmly pushed home. The constant pull of the lead makes them prone to disturbance by the slightest knock of the lead.

3. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yep, checked all the scarts and component cables. All seems to be securely fastened.

Just to clarify, the break-up I'm talking about is when the picture goes all blocky (not low bit-rate blocky) and white and black squares pop up here and there.

4. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    OK,

I'm now pretty sure something is wrong with the deck itself, as the same thing is happening whether I watch by composite, scart or component.

It looks like everything is recording fine, it's just the playback that is breaking up.

A call to Toshiba during the week I think. If anyone else has any other clues or ways I could help to narrow down the source of the fault, please let me know.

Thanks,

Matthew

5. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    It does sound like the mpeg decoder is struggling at random times during playback. As if the data stream was being choked off.

Is it possible the unit is overheating?

I'd be inclined to return the machine for replacement.

6. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

I suppose it might be overheating but it is in a well-ventilated area and has nothing standing on it/under it.

I don't really want to get the machine repaired as it's only 6 months old. Wonder what the chances are of Richer Sounds just doing a straight swap-out? i have their 3 year Supercare plan - wonder if that'll make any difference?

Thanks,

Matthew

7. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    Incidentally Matthew does your XS32 actually control the Sky digibox and if so what 4-digit code do you use? :confused:

8. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It can do, but doesn't - I never managed to get it to work reliably.

The code I used was 0326 - this was on a slip of paper inside the box. Kind of an addendum to the manual I think.

HTH,

Matthew

9. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    Thanks for that Matthew, I hope you get you get a hassle-free exchange from Richer Sounds. :)

10. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yeah, me too. But doubtful, I guess :)

11. robkgriffiths

robkgriffiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mathew could you please let me know how you got on with Toshiba after reporting your tosh as faulty? My Tosh is only 2 months old and it is playing up on the playback of DVD's, whether they are commercial DVD's or copies I have made. I am getting random freezes much like a you would expect when you see a layer change but this is happening every few seconds at various points of watching a film.

I contacted Unbeatable today who have given me a number to call for Toshiba. As Toshiba are not open until Tuesday I can't report it until then. It would be nice to know if the customer service at Toshiba is hassle free.

12. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I spoke to Tosh and I have to send the unit back for repair. They wouldn't do a straight swap-out :(

Someone is going to call me next week to arrange for a courier to pick it up - Toshiba say it will take between 7 and 14 days to repair!

The problem seems to be getting worse - last night it seemed to be struggling so much that, at one point, it just stopped playback altogether and reverted to displaying the tuner picture.

The guy at Toshiba also said that they would try to update the firmware and drive software at the same time.

Will keep you posted if you want.

13. robkgriffiths

robkgriffiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Matthew, please do keep me posted. I will let you know of my experiences with Toshiba when I eventually contact them.

14. Yedaw

Yedaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having similar playback problems with my XS32. Noticed a couple of days back when watching King Arthur fresh out of the wrapper. Also occurred with Pearl Harbour. Fault is a brief pause, a bit like a layer transition as previously stated. Most noticable when watching the end credits. The same discs played fine on an Xbox and a £30 machine from Woolworths. Hopefully the Tosh can match these if in full working order.

Have spoken to Toshiba who suggested first that I try other discs. They then told me that they do not offer replacement HDD DVD recorders, just repairs. As purchased within 28 days, said I should go back to the supplier for a replacement. Apparently this is a statutory right as a purchaser.

Have since spoken to Digital Direct, who supplied the machine, and they are to phone Tuesday 04/01, to arrange for collection and a replacement. To give them their dues, I didn't get hold of them until nearly 5pm on New Year's Eve. Will keep you posted.

15. robkgriffiths

robkgriffiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried a few other discs out and when I do see the problem it is always seems to be near the end of the film.

16. robkgriffiths

robkgriffiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I contacted Toshiba this morning and they told me that if the unit was sent to them as a multi-region model it would be returned to me as a non-multiregion unit. I was not happy about this so got back in touch with Unbeatable who have now agreed to collect the machine tomorrow and have it sent out to Toshiba. When the unit is returned to them they will make it Multi-region before sending it back to me. They told me this could take up to 2 weeks in total.

17. robbie b

robbie b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my XS32 for 2 months & have had the same problems - freezing during playback and also the black & white lines across the screen.

Sent mine back to RGB Direct last week, they have confirmed it is faulty and are sending a replacement.

18. robkgriffiths

robkgriffiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine got collected this morning. Fingers crossed it gets fixed without any hitches.

19. Yedaw

Yedaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine was collected this morning by City Link and is going back to Digital Point who have agreed to replace the unit. Fingers crossed as they are not showing as holding any stock. Prior to this they had suggested returning to Toshiba (for repair). On enquiring about the multi region element, they said that if it went to Toshiba, they'd send me the firmware upgrade on a disc. If anyone reading this has had to return their multi-region unit to Toshiba, may be worth asking the original supplier for a copy of the multi-region firmware upgrade. Hope to get the replacement on Friday.

20. robbie b

robbie b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my replacement from RGB yesterday and guess what..........it's going back again tomorrow.

It won't play R1 RCE discs (the first one I had played them)

Also, I still get these damned black & white lines scrolling across the screen very faintly..........it is very distracting. Does anyone know what this problem is ? I've posted before about it and a couple of members suggested it was video crosstalk but I have replaced the scarts with new good quality ones throughout as suggested and it made no difference.

21. robkgriffiths

robkgriffiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unbeatable have just contacted me to tell me they will be sending me a brand new replacement on Tuesday. :thumbsup:

22. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely statutory right extend to a year on faulty equipment and/or workmanship - Not only would i refuse a repair, i would also refuse a replacement and insist on my money back

p.s. your statutory right (contract) is with the retailer (not the supplier), so you need not bother filling out manufacturer guarantees cards (unless it xtended past your year statutory) - whilst i appreciate that contacting a manufacturer can often quickly resolve a problem (that ceases to be a problem), retailers asking you to contact manufacturer over faults is merely 'passing the buck' - you have no statutory rights with manufacturer (that's the retailers problem)

23. Yedaw

Yedaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Digital Point didn't have any XS32's in stock, so have issued a refund. Back to square one. Should I get another XS32, or perhaps I should wait a bit and see if an XS34 hits the streets any time soon? Choices, choices.....

24. robkgriffiths

robkgriffiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my new replacement xs32 yesterday. I have tested it a little and up to now I have not had any problems. I will keep you all updated should I experience any problems again.