XS32 - DVD Compatible Mode

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AVFan7667, Dec 20, 2004.

1. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if I keep coming on here and asking questions, but I am just getting to grips with my XS32 and the whole DVDR thing!

As I understand it, if I want to transfer something to DVD-R (or -RW) then it must be recorded with DVD Compatible Mode On (Mode I or II).

What does this do exactly? It says it records sound only from one channel - doesn't this mean there is a loss of quality

I have read the manual but it doesn't explain entirely beyond this.

Thanks

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Yes, I was confused by the same thing.

As I understand it, this has to do with multiple language support. E.g. it is possible in a stereo brodcast (possibly NICAM only?) to broadcast say English on one channel and French on the other, rather than a stereo English broadcast. In this case you need to choose which channel (i.e. which language) you want.

In practice, I don't think this is used, so even if you don't set this you can still create a DVD-R/RW.

Still, I have mine set to Mode I, which means should this happen I'd get the "main" language (English).
    On everything I've recorded I've got stereo English; there is no problem with quality.

I asked Toshiba about this, and all they could tell me is that it had something to do with multiple languages, they said set it to Mode I, and if found I was getting the wrong language try Mode II.

Mark

3. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you

I set mine to Mode I but just wasn't sure if I was going to be losing anything by doing it.