XS32 - Dub Problem - Non-Standard Problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AVFan7667, Feb 11, 2005.

1. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a number of episode of a program I recorded to the HDD on my XS32.

I edited each one identically and dubbed back to the hard disk with the adverts etc. now removed. Great, no problem.

However, now I have come to want to dub them to DVD for archiving.

As they are edited already, it should be a simple process - you would think so any way.

2 out of the 4 episodes are giving me errors.

As soon as I try and add it to the list to be dubbed I get the following error:

"Selected items include non-standard properties. Content will be divided into multiple titles on the DVD."

This is immediately followed by:

"Selection of Pre-writing Test in the next option setting is recommended to check whether Aspect Ration coexists".

I have checked the aspect ratios and they are fine.

What could be causing this and how can I get round it splitting it up on the DVD?

What are these non-standard properties?

Thanks

2. stiles

stiles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you record all these episodes at the same recording quality? When using a bitrate between 3.0 and 3.8 the recorder uses a non standard resolution. If you want to copy to dvd-r what you record, you shouldn't go below 4.0 to keep the full resolution. The fact that the recorder wants to put it on two discs could be because it needs to re-encode the program in full resolution resulting in a much bigger file.

3. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They were all recorded at 4.6 bitrate. All 16:9, and all with DVD Compatibility Mode set to 1.

Tried merging all chapters, and no help. Tried re-dubbing back to HDD, no help.

I am stumped.

It seems to want to split the 'faulty' recordings at the points where the 'joins's are - ie. where I removed the adverts.

EDIT: I have just tried re-editing to remove a few seconds either side of the previous joins and still no luck.

4. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Are you sure that the problem titles don't have any stray frames at the wrong aspect ratio? E.g. when you put a cut between a 4:3 advert and a 16:9 programme... if you get the odd 4:3 frame in there it will cause problems, especially if you have the aspect ratio set to "original".

Try and look, using the edit chapter function, to see if you have any rogue frames. I think if you manually set the aspect ratio to 16:9 rather than "original" that may help too.

Mark

6. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have checked already and there are none. I even tried 'cutting' several seconds each side of the original breaks to make sure there wasn't just an error or something.

Besides, when it's down to a rogue aspect ratio you get the 2nd message, but not the 1st about "non-standard properties", and this error pops up before you ever get the chance to set the aspect ratio.

I have made slight progress since last night.

When I was dubbing last night, I was using the "DVD Video Creation" menu option on the Edit menu. This generated this error every time without fail.

However, today I have tried "Dub Selected Items" to -R and it dubbed them fine. I then used "DVD Video Finalizing" option to finish it and it works fine, with no errors.

Haven't had chance yet to try it in another player though.

What are these errors though?

7. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just tried the one I dubbed and then finalised.

Works fine in the XS32, works fine in my LG DVD-RAM Multi drive in the PC, works fine in my DVD-ROM in my Dell laptop.

However, it fails in a stand-alone Sanyo player we have and also fails in a DVD-ROM drive in the PC.

Any ideas?

My current plan is to burn them to -RW and let it do what it wants (splitting them up etc as it seems to think is necessary). Then I will dub back to HDD and try again to -R!

8. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Keith,

You have me stumped... I've not seen that message, and I generally use the DVD Video Creation method. I often get the second one about checking the aspect ratios, whenever my original title had 4:3 and 16:9... but as long as I've edited it to just be one, and also set the ratio manually, that isn't a problem.

Non-standard? Don't know.... as Stiles said if you used a rate of 3.0 to 3.8 with compatibility off.. but you did neither.

As for it playing on some players and not othes, that could be an issue with media or disc type... not all players play all types. What type of disc was it? -R or -RW?

Mark

9. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using Verbatim 8X -Rs - they are the only -Rs I have ever used in my XS32 and other ones have worked fine in every player in my house! Never had any problems of any description with these -Rs before.

If my workaround (which is burning as I type) doesn't work I think I may have to call Toshiba on Monday and see what the message actually means.

10. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    B*gger!

I ignored the errors and let the XS32 split the recordings as it saw fit and burn them to a -RW (so as not to ruin a disc).

Each original recoording was split into 4 chapters. When it recorded them to DVD it split them into 4 titles each at the chapter breaks.

However, even though it did what it wanted to do when the error message occurred, the recorded disc was not playable in the XS32 after. It worked, but several of the titles (which were chapters) failed with an error about faulty media.

Getting me mad now! I do not want to lose these recordings!

Why does it dub to -R (or -RW) when I don't use the DVD-Video option? I could live with this if it still played in other players, but it seems to only play in writers and not players.

Next I will try dubbing to RAM and merging and finalising on PC.

11. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Verbatims are good, and if you haven't had problems before I agree, it is not likely to be the media.

Not sure what you mean by "Why does it dub to -R (or -RW) when I don't use the DVD-Video option?"

The only difference with the "DVD video creation" compared to high speed dub to a DVD-R is that the video creation automatically does a finalize at the end. High speed dub doesn't; you need to manually add the finalize step. So really there should not be any difference.

Good idea to try and dub to RAM and do it on your PC; interesting to see if your PC software detects any issues with the titles. If so, it may shed some clues. If it works fine on the PC, then probably time to contact Toshiba.

Mark

12. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I mean is if I use the "DVD Video Creation" menu option, it gives the errors mentioned and fails.

However, if I use the dub menu option it gives not errors and burns to disc fine. I then finalise manually and it works. However it does not seem to play in every player in my house.

Going to try a dub back from one of these working discs later to the HDD and see what happens.

It copied to my PC fine and gave no errors once on the PC. I haven't had time to edit it on the PC yet, but it isn't giving any errors.

I think I will call Toshiba tomorrow and try and find out just what this error message means.

13. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tosh seems fussy about medium you use - whilst Verbatim discs are fine - they may not be compatable with the machine

There's a link about discs best suited to the Tosh - You should check it out

14. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    With this problem I think it is unlikely to be the media. Mainly as the error he is getting is about the source material on the HDD having "non-standard properties". At that stage it hasn't done anything with the DVD yet. He also says that he has used this same type of Verbatim DVD-R previously in his XS32.

I know the pastel coloured Verbatim 8X (with the recommended TY dye) work well. The other Verbatim 8X (non coloured) tend to be MCC dye; I haven't tried these with the XS32, but again if keithmdw has used these before without problem, combined with getting this error I don't think it is media.

Though it might be worth trying with some proven -RW discs (like the TDK 2X), to be 100% sure (and not waste another disc).

Mark
    Mark

15. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried with Memorex 2X RW which is my RW of choice. Never had a problem with these either.

Still getting this error though.

As you say, it's before anything is even written to disc so unlikely to be the media. This is confirmed by being able to use the Dub option to write the program to -R or -RW and finalise it manually.

I'm going to give Toshiba a call today and see what the error means exactly.

16. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Hope Toshiba can shed some light on this. Let us know what they say.
    Mark

17. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just called Toshiba. The guy on the phone had never heard of the message and could find no reference to it on his system. Not very encouraging.

He is going to speak with one of the in-house engineers this morning and get back to me.

He was suggesting it may be a fault, which I told him it wasn't as it's only two specific recordings it happens on.

I will report back if I hear anything.

18. trainspotter

trainspotter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have had exactly the same problems, last night, and I came on here to see if anyone else had.

My title is all 4:3, but has various different bitrates, and when I try to make a DVD, it comes up with the same error message, and divides the title into lots of seperate titles.

My title is one chapter only (although made up from numerous small chapters that have been merged), to resolve the problem, I copied the title to another part of the hard drive at a higher bit-rate, and it seems to go on a DVD-R ok. The only problem being that if I had a title split into chapters, the chapter breaks would have been lost.

19. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Per the DVD-Video standard, I’m pretty sure you can’t mix different rates in the same title. You can have multiple titles on the same disc with a different rate for each title. So yes, if you have different rates it would cause a problem, and re-encoding at a common rate would fix it.

But keithmdw said all his recordings were the same rate of 4.6.

Mark

20. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba just called me back.

They seem as perplexed as I am.

No more info on what the error actually means at this stage though.

The guy who called is going to escalate it to a higher level and try and get a definitive answer as to what the error means and how to ensure it doesn't happen again.

He wasn't surprised that the -R I did by dubbing and manually finalising didn't work in all other players though. He said that was expected and only the "DVD Video Creation" option is recommended for best compatibility due to different video formats being used when dubbing and manual finalise is used (not sure about this myself!).

He agreed that it doesn't seem like a unit fault or media fault though.

21. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had an idea.

Going to try a rate conversion dub to the same bitrate (can you do this?) in the hope it removes the erroneous problem.

22. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does sound like you have a single frame at 16:4 in a programme that is 4:3, normally just after or before the commerical break.

I've seen this in edit mode, set you chapter point and then jump to it, it will say the ratio at the side. Move back one frame and then forward and you will see where it switches from 16:4 to 4:3.

To sort this you have to move the chapter break further into the programme and you could lose up to 11 more frames (GOP mode)

The reason it works with high speed dubbing is that the programme it copies as a whole and sets with the DVD-Video Ratio setting. Hence if you default DVD-Vdieo ratio is 16:4 then the whole programme will be all be marked as 16:4 even if the program is 4:3. Your TV will switch to widescreen mode.

When you create a disc a title can only contain subject mater in one ratio. Hence if the programme is in 4:3 and the adverts are 16:4 and the edit is not right you have both.

23. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Checked and checked again, every single frame is 16:9, and all my edits are using GOPs.

Besides, I have had that before and it only ever generates the second error about aspect ratios. I have never seen this message before.

The fact it seems to have puzzled Toshiba is a bit worrying though :confused:

24. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I had a similar message some time back. I recorded the same programme at the same time every day using the timer. Settings were the same - all 4:3, Mode 1, LP. I edited out the ads and re-recorded to HDD using high speed dub. I then dubbed to DVD-RW all the new originals, again high speed. It gave a message about multiple titles but burnt the disc OK. I finalised with no problems. On playing back it seemed to play OK but I have not tried playing all the various titles so I may just get an error meassage! Will check later and comment.

25. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen the
    "Selection of Pre-writing Test in the next option setting is recommended to check whether Aspect Ration coexists".

message when creating DVD -Video, I though it was just something to do with the fact I didn't have a disc in the drive at the time and it couldn't tell what was on or going to be already on the disc.

The first time I saw your first error message it burnt to -RW then check where it had split the title and then discovered the extra frames at a different ratio.

Since you have already do this it can't be at the joins but...

Once on a ch5 film the adverts were 16:4 the intro log was 4:3 and the film started in 16:4 but then switch to 4:3 and back. This gave a single frame about 1 sec into the film. The only was I found this was to keep moving the chapter point and going to the Dvd create menu until it didn't complain.

I guess it depends on you tv/widescreen switching. Sometimes mine goes mad when a film starts, switching wide to normal and back to wide.

Have you tried dub to -RW then dub back to HDD and then DVD create yet???

26. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info.

Yes, I have tried dubbing to RW and then back. I let it split the title up how it wanted to. However, the RW was near useless when it had done as although it showed me what was on it after, it really struggled to read anything off it.

Next thing I am going to try (when I get time) is a rate-conversion dub (but to the same bit rate) as this strips out any chapters etc. Then see if that is more friendly.

Failing that I have copied it on RAM over to my PC, so I will edit there as a last resort.

Still waiting for Toshiba to call me back about this.

Very annoying though how 2 of the 4 identical recordings are fine and 2 are dodgy.

27. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to update this:

I rate-conversion dubbed the two dodgy recordings from 4.6 to 4.6.

They now work perfectly. Just have to redo the chapter marks.

Still no call from Toshiba!

28. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This problem is getting more frequent, but always under the same circumstances.

Here's what I have discovered about this problem by trial and error.

Record to HDD (Mode I, 16:9, 4.6 Bit Rate).

After recorded, place chapter marks (to remove ads) using GOP.

Create Playlist of chapters I want to keep.

Dub Playlist from HDD to HDD.

If I use DVD-Video Creation option in Edit menu I get the error when trying to add the newly dubbed item. However, if I try and add the Playlist it works fine!

Obviously something is going wrong when dubbing from HDD to HDD.

Now, if instead of using the DVD-Video Creation option in the Edit menu, I don't get any errors at all. I then finalize manually using the option in the Edit menu and it finalizes the disc fine. However, these discs, unlike ones I create (when it works) using the DVD-Video Creation option don't seem to play in all players (though they do in some).

I'm calling Toshiba back next week, to see what they have to say, as they never called me back the other week.

I don't know if I have a fault or not.

I'd appreciate it if anyone else with an XS32 Multi-Region could try this out for me please to see if it's just my machine or not.

29. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't usual go HDD to HDD I always go from a playlist to DVD-R.

But I had your problem the other day. Could not find the change from 16:4 to 4:3.

I High-speed dubed to -RW with the DVD mode to 16:4 then dubed back to HDD and used video create with the new versions and it was fine - Go figure???

30. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I often go from HDD to HDD purely because I want to wait until I have a DVD-full of programmes, but I want them edited and ready to go when I have.